The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Neutral safety switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neutral safety switch
    Posted: 12-June-2011 at 3:22AM
Does a -72 Gran Torino has a neutral safety switch? Other cars I've had couldn't be started unless the gear selector was in P or N. I just almost drove my car trough the wall in my garage in reverse LOL

If it got one can someone tell me how it's working and were it's at. I checked my repair manual but couldn't find anything about it there.

The car has a C6 automatic with column shift.
Ford Gran Torino -72 4dr 390 C6 9"
Ford Bronco -91 Silver Anniversary
bmf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2011 at 4:20AM
It is the ignition switch under the dash and mounted on the steering column.
Put key in lock position.
Put the shift lever park.
Loosen the two nuts on the switch.
Pull the plunger rod out as far as possible then push it in one detent notch and it will be in the locked position.
There is a hole on the top.  Insert a 3/32 drill bit in the hole.  This keeps it locked.
Move switch back and forth to center it for lash and tighten nuts.  Remove pin.
Check for proper start/non start.
Some models have covers that need to be removed.

Ray

"I am completely broke and have the ability to sustain that"
ankarback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2011 at 7:01AM
Thanks a lot for the info. I try and see if I can get it fixed.

I suspect the switch might be broken since I have to lift the shift lever to be able to start...

CMD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2011 at 4:00PM
The neutral safety switch is down close to the firewall on right side of the steering column. They are sometimes bypassed when they go bad. Mine is located there and is an early ( 2/1972 ) column shift with a C6 also.
Best I remember it has 2 wires coming from it, and it has a connector in it's wiring harness near the steering column upper support under the instrument cluster area.
Hope this helps.

Edited by CMD1 - 12-June-2011 at 4:01PM
ankarback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2011 at 12:30AM
OK, so it's not mechanical then??
bmf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2011 at 8:58AM
CMD1 is not quite correct. The switch he is referring to is the back up light switch. 
Ford has not put on a separate neutral safety switch since 1970 on a column shift model.
I need to correct my previous post in that the lock hole is a notch on the side and on the one I pulled to check I could only insert a very small allen wrench. My drill bits were not small enough.
Not sure of how to get to it though.  If you pull the padded part of the dash you can see it. 
Chime in here someone, mine are apart so I cant help on this.

Ray
ankarback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2011 at 6:53AM
OK, thanks for clarifying that. I figure out how to remove the dash panels, no problem.
Now I know what to look for.
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2011 at 9:40AM

I don't mean to jack the thread, but say I was installing a Lokar automatic trans shifter mounted on top of the tranny and I wanted to hook the neutral safety switch to that... What would I have to do?

1972 Torino
bmf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2011 at 10:49AM
Most if not all, have the switch included. 
Check their specs.

Ray
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2011 at 2:17AM
Yeah, the Lokar units do...

I just realized that it was a stupid question...

Edited by 72BoB - 15-June-2011 at 2:18AM
1972 Torino
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2011 at 10:32PM
I don't mean to bust a bubble here but I believe CMD1 to be correct in his reference.
Follow the collum shifter linkage down to the fire wall there will be a switch that looks like this - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Ford-1971-neutral-safety-switch-D1AA15520-BA-/320587203131?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa47c823b 
The shifter is connected directly to this.

it can be repaired.

1973 Q code sports roof
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2011 at 10:37PM
I must confess that the adjustment to the top collum switch (key switch) that bmf is referring too should be looked at as well but it is not the immediate cause of the problem you had.
The holes for this are deliberately elongated for this adjustment.
1973 Q code sports roof
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2011 at 10:40PM
1973 Q code sports roof
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2011 at 10:51PM
This is the other switch on top of the collum that may need some adjustment (and I stress "MAY" but am certain its the bottom one) after the neutral one is attended too.
1973 Q code sports roof
bmf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2011 at 6:03AM
I don't mean to bust a bubble here but I believe CMD1 to be correct in his reference.
Follow the collum shifter linkage down to the fire wall there will be a switch that looks like this - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Ford-1971-neutral-safety-switch-D1AA15520-BA-/320587203131?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa47c823b
The shifter is connected directly to this.

This is a 71.  I have a pair of early 72's and this part is not there.  A ford manual stated they were discontinued in '70.  The one for 72 on ebay i believe is incorrect.
  Chiltons repair manuel states  " 1972 and later column shift------1972 and later models which are equipped with a column mounted shift lever are not equipped with neutral start switch.  Instead, an ignition lock cylinder -to-shift lever interlock prevents these models from being started in any gear other than Park and Neutral.  "

The ebay ignition switch is correct.

Regards,
Ray

Edited by bmf - 16-June-2011 at 6:52AM
ankarback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ankarback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2011 at 8:17AM
Seems like it could be either one then?? I'm going to check it out this weekend.
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2011 at 4:03PM

Shoot for the “neutral” switch at the bottom of the column first (by your feet against the firewall), You will know very quickly if you have one or not, you will passably need a torch and will need to tuck your head right down at the base of the column, it is easily visible once above is done with no removal of dash parts etc. From memory there are two nuts and an electrical connection to remove.

Both my 74 and 73 Torino’s had one so I can’t understand that they were “discontinued”, add to that in both my factory Torino service manuals (for 73 and 74) it is mentioned, unless you have an aftermarket B&M shifter and it’s been removed or “T” shift (on the tranny hump), in the “T” shift case it’s on the “T” shifter somewhere I believe.

I am totally unclear with 4 speeds, but suspect you have to be in either reverse or 1st gear to remove the key from the ignition to insure the “park” is engaged ( to insure the car doesn’t roll when parked).

The second switch running from the key switch (top of column behind dash) is a little harder to get at, just note the main resistance you will have is the Speedo cable connection, from memory you need to squeeze this to remove, outside of that the rest is straight forward.    

With 27 years as a locksmith I am still learning, so please let me know for future reference.  

1973 Q code sports roof
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2011 at 4:12PM

Just another thought –

An indication that the neutral switch is giving problems is that your reversing lights are on while in “D” (drive) or you turn the ignition on and your reversing lights are going without being in reverse (while in “P” park).

Ask someone to stand behind the car (but not too close lol) be sure you have your foot on the break and start the car, ask the person behind the car to tell you when your reversing lights come on as you shift the gears. I am sure it will surprise you.        

1973 Q code sports roof
bmf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2011 at 2:03AM
For kenneth
On the 4speeds the switch is in the T shifter.   Some others were on the transmission (I have not personally seen one).  Here is a link that you might find interesting.  The switch is located on the column near the firewall.
When I tried to post them I only had red x's.

Edited by bmf - 17-June-2011 at 10:39AM
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2011 at 8:44AM
Sorry Ray the Kodak link keeps coming up "session has expired".
I too have problems with posting photos here but there is a thread on how to do it by using Photoshop, I still can not use Photoshop (I think its me being the problem) but end up loading to my Facebook then cut and paste from there. I think the primary problem is they need to be resized and in a certain formate.
If you are interested in emailing them to me my email is - farken@slingshot.co.nz
1973 Q code sports roof
 Post Reply Post Reply