The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedINFO: Rear Window Seal for Fastback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2021 at 3:31AM
I agree that R&Ring the rear or front glass is risky. I would only let someone do it that I knew was very good at it.

That being said, it's common for any fixed window to have a water leak, the seals get very hard over 10-20 years. I have carefully smeared Ultra Black RTV along the top edge of three of my SUV's rear quarter glass windows.

If you could get at the entire interior glass perimeter, you could seal that up from the inside, and not be visible. On the outside you might choose to carefully tape along the outer seal, and then apply a thin coat of RTV. I like the Ultra Black etc, because it can take any kinds of weather or sun, and last forever. I have it on my house chimney to seal cracks in that cement, it's held for 15+ years so far.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
lynchster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2021 at 1:38PM
Easiest way to remove the rear glass (after getting the trim off) is to just cut the top lip of the weatherstrip off. Glass lifts right out. 
I've done it once already but now that I'm just about ready to install the trim I might cut it out again. It seems to sit lower on one side. Now or never. 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2021 at 3:01PM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

Easiest way to remove the rear glass (after getting the trim off) is to just cut the top lip of the weatherstrip off. Glass lifts right out. 
I've done it once already but now that I'm just about ready to install the trim I might cut it out again. It seems to sit lower on one side. Now or never. 

Ah, very good, so they just used the old molded seals, not the sealant like today has urethane on front and back glass.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234