The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roof Rail Trim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roof Rail Trim
    Posted: 27-October-2011 at 7:51AM

I am at the point where I need to remove the chrome roof rail trim on my 72 for painting.

Are there any tips on how to do this?

Can you save your roof rail weather strips at the same time?

Thanks

Randy

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2011 at 9:09AM
the wetherstrip slides into a channel,you need to remove the weatherstrip from the channel to expose the screws.You have to remove that channel to get to the screwws that hold the roof rail trim on as the channel helps hold the roof rail trim but there are additional screws on the trim itself.After removing the trim screws pull down as it slides onto the roof pinchweld that is flat,when you reinstall the trim use something on the pinch weld flange like putty tape or caulking as the trim itself is what becomes the driprail so if you don't seal the molding to the pichweld water will seap between the trim and the metal flange and start the rust process of rotting away that metal flange with the moisture sitting between it so make sure to seal the molding to the body after you paint it.3M makes a bedding compound they use to seal the rubber gasket on the rear window and that will also work for sealing the trim back on the roof edge

I reinstalled the channel and weatherstrip so the window can seal as I am working on the car but it has to be able to go outside at times now that the body is primed.

this is what the roof flange looks like with molding removed

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 27-October-2011 at 9:18AM
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2011 at 9:22AM

Thanks Jeff, I think I understand now.  Seeing how it looks underneath eliminates leaving it off it appears.

Randy

72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2011 at 2:37PM
I would love to see someone eliminate the drip rails... That would be a very nice custom touch.
1972 Torino
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2012 at 2:05PM

Well. I removed the weatherstrip and the screws that go through the channel.  I can't seem to find what is holding the plastic channel in place and am scared I'll break it.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2012 at 2:18PM
it's also has sealer on it so you will have to gentle pry on it but make sure all the screws are taken out.There should be another set of screws holding the chrome drip rail molding that is hidden under the weatherstrip channel.
The channel is metal not plastic but pry on it gently as not to bend it out of shape
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2012 at 12:43PM

Well, I got 'em out.  I was just too afraid to pry on the channel. Other side came off in about 5 minuets after I was "skilled".  Found out that mineral sprits will take the goo seal off in a hurry.

Thanks again,

Randy

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2012 at 3:51AM
glad you got them off and was able to help.luckily I had removed mine before you asked so I knew myself.
I'm pretty good at taking cars apart and have to learn all the time with new cars and new models or model year changes and I will apply slight pressure to try and remove parts but not enough to break them hopefully and sometimes you can tell if there is something holding it such as a fastner or clip of some sort.
I have seen guys who grip and rip method and they break stuff but if I can't find someone in the shop who has done one I just take my time and figure it out as nothing worse then telling the boss you broke something.there are certain parts on newer cars held on by clips that the clips break  and there is nothing you can do to prevent it but usually the shops have clip assortments or the special ones get ordered from the dealer and the insurance company pays for that stuff as it is part of the procedure.

Older classic cars are alot easier to figure out as alot of stuff is held on with screws and the clips were made of metal and there were only so many styles of clips back then so you can figure it out if you have as much experience as I do.

that is why I don't mind helping cause I don't want anyone to break or damage a hard to find part
make sure you use some kind of sealer when you put it back together especially on the drip rail so the water don't get down between the molding
Odranoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odranoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2012 at 8:43AM
Originally posted by 72 GTS 429 72 GTS 429 wrote:

that is why I don't mind helping cause I don't want anyone to break or damage a hard to find part

that's the spirit of the forum! Nice post, I'm going to use this info myself Smile

1972 Gran Torino
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2012 at 7:22AM
Dude, please do my body work.... I haven't even started yet and I'm so overwhelmed. Some retard sprayed a thick coat of epoxy over the entire car and lately I'm just sort of reaching the original paint. There are a few rust spots, not too bad, but also a couple in the cab floor that they covered in carpet to hide it. geez. I only paid 1400 for this car, but I put close to 7K in the motor, so I at least want it to look decent.   http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee513/papadeath/
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2012 at 9:58AM
i'm sure there are shops or individuals in CA that can do your Ranchero,but it won't be cheap for quality work.I don't have a shop or garage anymore since I had to move to NJ,and don't even have a place to work on my 72 GTS you see in the photo's,it's outside on the trailer covered up with a tarp.
Heck it would cost you a few grand just to transport it to me and back when it's done,you could apply that to a shop near you.
 Post Reply Post Reply