The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fixing Roof 74 Gran Torino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Trooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fixing Roof 74 Gran Torino
    Posted: 29-October-2011 at 7:23AM
I posted this a year or so back, but finally have some income I can play around with.

I have a Torino and it has the roof, front pillars, front and rear window sills all rusted to hell.

What are my options? The car runs really good, was my first car and if I can salvage it I want to. I am stationed in AK, and the car is in Cali, So I'd have my friend working on it with a shop of his.

Thanks!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2011 at 7:46AM
doonor roof off a rust free car is your best bet

I parted out my 73 formal roof case the roof was unsalavagable and needed replacing and a good donor roof was too far away and shipping is costly on thos big items so the cat got parted it had other rust issues like trunk and quarters as well and just not worth the time and money to fix.
You can use a roof off a 72-76 formal roofbut if your car has opera windows in the quarter sails then you will have to find a 74-76 donor roof with sail panels or replace the upper roof to the quarte/roof seam and a 72-76 will work for that.
if the lower of the window sills are rotted bad then I suggest the entire roof with the A pillars cut at the firewall and the whole roof section including the sail panels and rear window and body panel between the window and trunk be sectioned from a good donor car which in Cali would be easier to find good rust free roof sections
The_Trooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Trooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2011 at 7:50AM
So I would just need to see what they have at the local junk yard? How many hours would we be looking into for it to be complete?
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2011 at 8:05AM
hard to say, I have never done a complete roof replacement with sail panels,pillars and all.Done chop jobs.customizing cars and lowering the roof on some old classic hotrods but never paid attention to how long it took. It can be very labor intensive so if your paying a shop to do it it's not gonna be cheap as if you DIY(Do It Yourself)
most DIY hobbyist/restorers wont tackle that big of job unless they have welding and fabrication experience.

on a job like that,if I were to do it fro customet it would be time and materials and not quote a set fee as you never know what you might run into and don't bid jobs like that with a set price cause it will bite you everytime if you do and most bodyshops or resto shops charge anywhere from $45-60 per hour.

just a guess and don't quote me on it would be 40-60 hrs could be more or less depending on the experince of the technician performing the work. At the lowest per hr and time 40 hrs at $45 per hr equals $1800, which for that you can buy a complete bodyshell to swap on to the frame and use your interior and front end and bolt on sheetmetal,rather then cutting and welding on a donor roof and why most people who do it DIY cause the labor cost is not worth it if you have to pay unless you have a friend who will do it cheap
72BlackGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2011 at 10:09AM

I had 20-22 hours in my roof panel swap on my 72GTS. I took some extra time to prevent rust with some POR-15 on the inside structure and new roof panel. That was drilling and cutting roof panels off both cars, straightening, grinding, sanding, sealing on my car.

Not a hard job. Pretty straight forward but A LOT of drilling spot welds.

Good luck.                     Ron

Edited by 72BlackGTS - 29-October-2011 at 10:14AM
Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
2003 HD Road King Classic 100th Anniversary
 Post Reply Post Reply