The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

taurus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: taurus
    Posted: 03-February-2012 at 2:33AM
What the hell was ford thinking. Flex joint gone bad on my07.Ford has no replacement only new cat.1175 plus inst.anybody ever found a way to fix it.
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2012 at 11:07AM
I hate taurus, I had to swap many engine on those, and countless head gaskets.

GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2012 at 11:20AM
The only decent one is the SHO.
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2012 at 1:14PM
i got a 98 mercury sable basically the same car.    about ready to cut it up for scrap and maybe sell a few parts off.
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2012 at 1:19PM

You don't see a lot of first gen Sables much anymore.

Griffin
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2012 at 1:40PM
the north east winters took a tole on this one,  if the sub structures weren't so gone we probably wouldn't be scraping it out.   we were jacking it up and the jack whent right threw everything   and stopped at the floor.Wacko we just couldnt let something this bad go back out  on the road
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2012 at 1:45PM

Yeah I would part it out and scrap what's left.

Griffin
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
73Torino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Torino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2012 at 8:46AM
Originally posted by ilyes ilyes wrote:

I hate taurus, I had to swap many engine on those, and countless head gaskets.

I think the head gasket might have gone out on my 02 Taurus, antifreeze keeps disappearing but the oil looks completely fine. Grrrr...Angry How long did it take you to replace the head gaskets?
1973 base model Torino
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2012 at 3:20PM
if it's the 2v engine check the timing cover for seeping, drips on the cat and usually evaporates before it leaves any spots on the ground.but head gaskets can be done in a day.(equipped shop)
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
fordnmerc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordnmerc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2012 at 1:54PM
My wife had a 98 Taurus. What a nightmare. Leaked oil, leaked gas, transaxle was going bad....just endless. I would rather have a Maverick, Fairmont, or Granada than one of those damn things. Angry
David
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2012 at 12:16PM
AFTER THREE WEEKS i GOT THE POWER WINDOWS TO WORK.i HAD REPLACED THE WRONG RELAY.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2012 at 2:22AM
Hmmm. I liked every Taurus and Sable I ever had. Maybe just my luck or that I got good ones...

'90 Sable (bought in '92 and kept in family 4 years - outstanding highway car)
'86 5speed 4 cyl Taurus - good basic car that ran, gave it to a friend.
(2) '92 Sables bought in '94 - kept 1, sold the other, great car
'95 SHO - This car would make you feel like Superman, felt like I lost a pal when I sold it. Still miss it.
'93 SHO - chipped, head work, exhaust, SVT parts - scary fast, knew I better sell it before it got me a ticket.
'89 Taurus - bought for $50, spent $50 for repairs, sold it, lady still driving it.
'95 SE Taurus - nice highway car, 3.8 engine ran well.
'95 Frankenwagon - Taurus wagon with a 5.7 Vortec, 700R, 9 inch. Ran and drove, but all of us were scared to trust it on the road. Horrifically fast and dangerous. Completely our fault it ever existed, and decided to dismantle it so no one got hurt. Cannot blame Ford for that one.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72GTS351CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72GTS351CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2012 at 2:40AM
I had a 93 sho. The only problem I had was a heater core and an idler pulley. It had 150k miles when I sold it and it was still running strong
72GTS Clint Eastwood Special                                     

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2012 at 4:51AM
Loved those Yamaha V6 engines. My '95 was white with grey leather - great sleeper. The '93 was Arrest Me Red with tan leather. Couldn't have picked a worse color SHO to build. However, while the heads were off, we polished the intake and valve covers and detailed the non-chrome hardware with red highlights. What a beautiful massive engine. Even stock, they were a sight to behold - in case anyone has never seen one.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2012 at 9:20AM
I liked my 99 had 198,000 before daughter broke the motor. This 07 has 98,000 and just don't feel as good.
MXBrougham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXBrougham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2012 at 11:13AM
My 88 MT-5 runs, but needs CV joints, a MAP sensor, and the climate control panel is completely dead. I understand the ignition switch (the flaming one) is the cause of that. So I need a new one of those. Of course I only paid $250 for it back in '04. So I'm pretty well satisfied. Plus no tranny issues since it's a 5-speed. I like it anyway. Of course I have 11 other cars to use too.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2012 at 6:55AM
well first taurus went 200,000 mi and eng broke. this on only 103,000 and trans is pushing fluid out of somewere.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2012 at 1:51PM
converter seals like to puke when they get warm/hot don't leak as bad  cold/cooler.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2012 at 5:26AM
Other half has a Sable that about every other week something craps out. Latest is the blinkers stopped working and this one has me so far. Hazzards were also out. Brake lights work fine and blinkers and brake lights are on the same fuse. Changed flasher unit ( Special 3pin deal ) Hazzards work fine now no blinkers. All bulbs good.OK no biggie right changed Steering multifunction switch same thing hazzards no blinkers. Grabbed to meter and checked voltages. Hazzards on flasher circuit normal 12 volt blinkers on flasher only 7 volts WTF? Guess the next step is to look up the ignition switch circuit and see if it has a seperate circuit when key is on to power blinkers switch could be dirty/bad? causing the voltage drop to 7 from the proper 12
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2012 at 2:14PM
 Are you sure you got the correct switch?the most common problem with this set up is dust settles down in the multifunction switch,and when you use the hazards and then try to shut them off,it screws up the circuitry for the signals.try taking an air hose and blow air around the hazard switch while rapidly pushing the hazard switch on and off.then try and see if the signals now work.most of the time I can get them working again withhout installing a new switch.Tricks of the trade,let me know how ya make out.John
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2012 at 8:27PM
Trying a ford part vs a fleabay generic one today. one of my best friends owns a huge junkyard here so picked a few off off Ford Taurus's. Told here she now has a Furcury Table.
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2012 at 1:47AM
THAT'S FUNNY!!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
ghosttrain2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghosttrain2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2012 at 4:38PM
my "98 windstar with a 3.0 seized the engine when the cam sensor quit turning because the drive gear had worn out. Evidently some of these engines don't oil the drive gears. This engine had about 98,000 on it. No warning, the check engine light came on when it failed, and was too late.
1977 LTD, 2 door
1972 N code Ranchero, Project
1972 Torino formal roof
1970 Torino 500, Project
1974 Cougar parts car
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2012 at 4:36AM
Originally posted by Robbdtme Robbdtme wrote:

Trying a ford part vs a fleabay generic one today. one of my best friends owns a huge junkyard here so picked a few off off Ford Taurus's. Told here she now has a Furcury Table.

The real ford part worked her blinkers are back.

Now yesterday she called and said it was making a noise and will not go over 15mph. Found the noise which was a electrical sensor egr related something to the tune of a exhaust pressure sensor but from reading unrelated to the loss of power. Even in neutral it revs to 4000 rpm for about half a second then rpms drop fast and lots of exhaust smoke. After a fews hours checking everything I have a feeling the fuel pressure is low although that was about the only thing I had not checked as I had hung up looking at it by that time last night.

She loves the car, Myself I will personally love to hit the crush button on it at the junkyard....
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2012 at 1:18AM
Don't know about ford but my van has a sensor that goes into limp mode when something is wrong.It will run around 15mph till you get it to the garage. It was crank case sensor or something on the fire wall I had to replace.
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2012 at 6:33AM
This has the 3.8. Reg distributer single cam single coil. Kind of ruled out timing chain or overhead timing belts coil packs no crank sensor on it. Starts and idles perfect and does rev at first then sputters and rpm drops. After a few seconds even matted to the floor rpms are maybe 800-1300 only with major exhaust smoke. Limp Mode usually uses multiple coil packs and fires alternating cylinders at least the ones I am familiar with. Anyway  thanks for the replies probably be tinkering some more on it this weekend. Looking like I will be flying out to Florida for work next week so hopefully figure it out before then.
At least the other half has been having fun driving the F150 king cab long box 4x4 5.4 triton to work lately, She has a 70 mile round trip and the truck gets 8-10 mpg but no squeeking yet about 28 bucks in gas a day .

Edited by Robbdtme - 28-September-2012 at 6:35AM
 Post Reply Post Reply