The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Tools & Shop Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What type of saw to use?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What type of saw to use?
    Posted: 20-February-2012 at 8:36AM
I'm going to be cutting out floors and quater panels to save in case I buy a rusty car, but I don't know what saw to use any ideas?
I don't do body work, I have a shop do it so what's the best way to cut them out and what other panels are good to have on hand?
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2012 at 8:45AM
Plasma Cutter - #1 choice
Small high speed grinder with a cutoff wheel - #2 choice
Sawzall - #3 choice
Hacksaw, hammer & chisel all last resort.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2012 at 8:46AM
Oh, and what metal to save? ANY OF IT, Lol.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
SocalTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2012 at 9:09AM
Okay thanks I think I'm going to use a sawall
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2012 at 9:35AM
I vote battery powered sawzall. I can't count how many times I've been at the junkyard and gone "DAMN, wish I had a cordless sawzall!"

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2012 at 10:08AM
those battery power tools aren't as good as the cord one.
A sawzall is nice, but depending on what your cutting, you might need a cut off wheel first to be be able to open a space for the saw
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2012 at 10:17AM
cutting up cars I use a sawzall with demolition metal cutting blade
 but as ilyes said sometimes you have to cut a stater slot to get the blade in so either an 
electric 4in grinder with cut-off disc or an air power die grinder with cut-off disc works well
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2012 at 1:39PM
Originally posted by ilyes ilyes wrote:

those battery power tools aren't as good as the cord one.
A sawzall is nice, but depending on what your cutting, you might need a cut off wheel first to be be able to open a space for the saw

True. But. When you are standing here.

And the closest outlet is at that red barn back there............

Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2012 at 1:47PM
you got a point, just make sure batteries a full and in good working order, I got stuck countless time with dead/funky batteries
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2012 at 1:47PM

What a waste of a 72 Torino wagon. If I were closer, I would get the glass out of it if it were still there. Anyway, I have used a sawzall with a cord the most.

Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2012 at 2:31PM
1973 Q code sports roof
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2012 at 2:59PM
nah sawzall is faster then a grinder with cut-off disc as it has to grind away the metal and shoots sparks all over and the sawzall simply cuts the metal fast.Even a plasma cutter is no match for a sawzall with fresh demolition blades

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 20-February-2012 at 3:00PM
kenneth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2012 at 3:15PM

Aha !!!! eureka moment - I had to Google it to know what a “Sawzall” was.

We call them Jigsaws.

1973 Q code sports roof
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2012 at 3:20PM
GTW, it is still there. Need the glass?
Paul
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2012 at 3:22PM
Originally posted by 72 GTS 429 72 GTS 429 wrote:

nah sawzall is faster then a grinder with cut-off disc as it has to grind away the metal and shoots sparks all over and the sawzall simply cuts the metal fast.Even a plasma cutter is no match for a sawzall with fresh demolition blades

It does also waste less metal, I find the cut cleaner as well
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2012 at 3:46PM
I need the long wagon only glass on the drivers side but I know nothing about shipping. There's also sort of streak looking things on my windshield where the wipers wiped. I'm wondering if I need a windshield now.

Edited by GTW - 20-February-2012 at 3:47PM
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2012 at 4:03PM
Originally posted by kenneth kenneth wrote:

Aha !!!! eureka moment - I had to Google it to know what a “Sawzall” was.

We call them Jigsaws. 

no this is a jigsaw

the proper term is reciprocating saw
but Milwaukee call's theirs a Sawzall

Edited by 72 GTS 429 - 20-February-2012 at 4:07PM
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2012 at 7:15PM
you can make an opening to start a sawzall by laying a screwdriver on egde kinda sideways and hitting it with a hammer. keep tapping away on the edge of the sidways screwdriver and it starts moving along like a can opener

obviously, start some ways out from the metal you want to stay nice, but it can be dollied back flat

i used a sawzall mostly, then trimmed with snips

as i recall there was a side grinder with a cut-off wheel involved too. i found the trick to the sawzall is to not just hold the trigger on full speed, it'll burn up the blade real quick. actually the slower you run the blade the better it cuts

Edited by Rockatansky - 20-February-2012 at 7:31PM
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2012 at 1:45AM
I have a Milwaukee Sawzall exactly like the one pictured. I've had it at least 15 years, cut hundreds of times with it and it still does great. Th issue with it is when cutting flimsy or thin metal, it will sometimes grab and bang the guard against the sheetmetal you are cutting - resulting in dented/bent metal. Also when working in a tight backspace, the blade can hit whatever is behind what you are cutting, bending the blade or cutting whatever is behind. A grinder is more of a finesse type of cutting method that is slower, but more precise when in those situations. Plasma cutter is just bada$$. May not be any faster or efficient, but can cut exactly where you want (curves, circles, angles, etc...).
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2012 at 6:55AM
Plasma cutter is nice,most of us diy guys can't afford one. Getting it or cutting torches into scrapyard, not going to happen unless maybe you are a friend of the owner. The local you pull its here won't even let you use a reciprocating saw (worried about starting fires ) although I've hidden mine under all my other tools and used it.Seen other guys do it too. The first car I ever cut up (69 stang coupe) many years ago I used an ax and 5lb sledgehammer. 

1zebra3                      76 S&H Torino
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
SocalTorino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SocalTorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2012 at 10:55PM
Thanks for your help guys I'm going to try to find a cordless sawzall on criagslist. It's the best choice due to the fact that the 72 gts is at a junkyard.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-February-2012 at 12:10AM
Originally posted by 1zebra3 1zebra3 wrote:

Plasma cutter is nice,most of us diy guys can't afford one. Getting it or cutting torches into scrapyard, not going to happen unless maybe you are a friend of the owner. The local you pull its here won't even let you use a reciprocating saw (worried about starting fires )

Don't you have yards like I pictured? Cars stacked 3 or 4 high, when the owner of the place says "If you see any hoods open, shut them". 
Paul
1zebra3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1zebra3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2012 at 11:15AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

Originally posted by 1zebra3 1zebra3 wrote:

Plasma cutter is nice,most of us diy guys can't afford one. Getting it or cutting torches into scrapyard, not going to happen unless maybe you are a friend of the owner. The local you pull its here won't even let you use a reciprocating saw (worried about starting fires )

Don't you have yards like I pictured? Cars stacked 3 or 4 high, when the owner of the place says "If you see any hoods open, shut them". 
 pretty much all disapearing because or county? state? GOV? EPA  ? regulations.
1zebra3                      76 S&H Torino
70 mustang MACH 1
73 MACH 1
79 F-350 (SOLD)DAMN
89 STANG LX COUPE
04 F-150
srwith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srwith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2012 at 12:20AM
If you have a portable generator or access to one and allowed to take it in with you it will be a good sorce for power tools. That way you can have a choice of tools without power loss.  I have one due to florida storms with power losses for days. Will use it for my shop when I can get the wifes JUNK out.
two loves, torino's and bike riding. drive and ride safe.
srwith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srwith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2012 at 12:29AM
sheet metal cutting tools
two loves, torino's and bike riding. drive and ride safe.
 Post Reply Post Reply