The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

100 low lead av. gas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colonelsandersman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 100 low lead av. gas
    Posted: 22-February-2012 at 6:52AM
I've been thinking of running 100 octane low lead aviation fuel in my 1973 gran Torino 351w. I've heard it working well in High compression motors pre71 and want to know if it will work well in my low compression windsor for added horsepower.
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2012 at 8:31AM

The fuel won't give you more horsepower BUT it will allow you to run more aggresive timing or higher compression or boost which in turn will give you more HP.

You may want to add a lead substitute or equivalent as AvGas is considered to be "dry".

We used to add about 1/2 quart of ATF to a full tank of fuel to help with upper cylinder lubrication in the Rally car. There are all kinds of recipies on line for formulating higher octane fuel mixes.

If you can get the Avgas for a good price, go for it!!!

Edited by iangj - 22-February-2012 at 8:32AM
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply