The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to assemble the front fenders etc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max_torq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to assemble the front fenders etc
    Posted: 08-April-2012 at 7:30PM
I am just putting my 1979 thunderbird back togethor and finding it hard to find any information about how to assemble the front panels.

Can I attach the radiator support panel, then the inner fenders and then be able to place the outer fenders over this?

Also is there any procedure for adjusting the alignment of the radiator support panel? Mine has some shims that have been put in between the support panel and the bush on the frame. Is it best to assemble the lot and then adjust these shims later?

has anybody rerouted the electrical loom on the drivers side so it passes under the inner fender rather than over, to make it invisible?

cheers.
1979 Thunderbird Heritage
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2012 at 9:29PM
Andrew,

yes first attach the radiator support to the frame and you can put the inner fenders in place and bolt
to the radiator support and I think there might be 1 bolt that goes into a bracket on the firewall/cowl and then you have to put the fenders in place,ten you can finish bolting the inner fenders to the fenders But leave the bolts loose till you align the fenders.
once you get the fenders on then mount the header panel between them to get your front spacing
the shims in the rad support will have to be added after the fenders are on to give an even gap with the fenders to the doors.

If the gap is wider at the top then add shims till it starts to even out the gap along the fender and door.You may also have to shim under the back of the fenders at the top where it bolts to the cowl so your bodyline heights are the same on the fender and door.Snug the bolts but don't fully tighten till you add the hood hinges and bolt the hood on as you may have to move the radiator support on the frame side to side to square up the hood gaps with the fenders.
one your gaps are even tighten the 2 rad support bolts then your fenders and everything else that is loose.

most seem to leave their wires exposed in case there are any electrical issues but you can reroute them it's up to you
max_torq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max_torq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2012 at 12:13AM
thanks, that's excellent instructions.

just a few questions...

Is the header panel the piece that holds the headlights and grille etc? so this is attached before tightning all the fenders up.

and the small brackets and struts that connect betwen inner and outer fenders etc, and also the diagonal struts from the cowl to the fenders etc; do I leave them off until the main panels are aligned?

I suppose all the equipment, vaccuum tanks etc, could be attached before aligning the panels?
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2012 at 6:21AM
Hello-

Concerning the assembly on the front clip of this era of Ford car, just like the Torino, I feel it's best to assembly the front clip apart.

I would start by carefully protecting the fender and paint, but use of a soft surface, such as a clean heavy blanket, etc that will not damage the paint.
When I had my car in for paint:

My fenders were worked first, primed and painted:
Side note: clean up of fastners. I sand blasted, etch primed and coated the hardware:

At this point, I had spare fender liners that I had already sand blasted and painted:

And reassembly of the fender to the liner.

I will say I did struggle with this by myself, and would suggest having a helper.

I have not had the best of luck installing on the vehicle due to how the liner installs on the fender, but this is my own personal experince with the Torino line.
Thunderbird may be slightly different, but not enough that I can see this being that much a difference.

The header panel, which on your car is a fiberglass piece would go on after you have the fenders loosly bolted to the car.

You will want to leave things a little loose to align things properly, shim as needed, for proper panel alignment.
These cars are not like late model cars, you may have to use 1/4" {6mm} to 1/2" {13mm} worth of shims to align the panels on these cars, as this is what the factory would have done.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2012 at 6:30AM
Also-
I would suggest looking on ebay. Found some manuals from a seller I have had good results with for literature.

Here is a link to the body manual for a 78. I saw some 1979, but here in the states, the 1979 tbird changed to a unibody chassis, similar to the fairmont/fox body mustang.

robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2012 at 6:31AM
Great post! I'm having the same sort of issue putting my fender liners in.  I can tell the header panel on my car was taken off with the fenders as nothing is lining up correctly.  I need to get the drivers side fender off to inspect the brace, but once that's all taken care of, I plan to loosen all the header and rad brace hardware to get everything lined up.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2012 at 8:09AM
If it were me, I'd do radiator support, then fenders, followed by header panel. 

Hopefully you know how many shims came out and where they came out of!

I've done fenders both ways, with inners separate, and inners together. I think inners together with the fender work out neater.. if you have help. 

FYI, 79 bird is not a Fox.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2012 at 10:33AM
I thought in late 79 is when they changed to that fairmont type unibody car??
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2012 at 11:56AM
I present to you a 1979 Ford Thunderbird.

79 Cougars are the same chassis, but they had different tallights and side trim around the front wheels. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
max_torq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max_torq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2012 at 1:53PM

Yes, My car is the same as the maroon one above, or the cougar, the inner fender is the same as the torino pictured above.

So far I have reattached the radiator support panel and an inner fender to the chassis, I might see if the outer fender is relatively easy to attach to this assembly in situ.

Post Reply Post Reply