The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FMX transmission help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colonelsandersman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FMX transmission help
    Posted: 15-April-2012 at 11:33AM
So i was driving when I realized I had to turn around in the narrow road, I went in reverse relatively quick then forward then back than forward very aggressively, upon the third time shifting in reverse I could feel the transmission violently slip; right away I new the reverse band needed to be tightened, reverese eventually went all the way out and was basically in neutral as that clutch wasn't grabbing. I took it home and tightened the adjuster so it worked and I have reverse but I want to make sure I have it at the right spec so I not burn that clutch out, my dad says to get the band tight then back off 3/4 turn. Does anyone know for sure? And on a side note my tail housing seal for the transmission is leaking and when I ordered the part they gave me one for a c4 which is wrong the only other option was for a cruis o matic or c6 so I ordered up the cruise o matic seal hopefully that's right?

Edited by colonelsandersman - 15-April-2012 at 12:47PM
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2012 at 1:54PM
FMX is based on the FX and MX Cruise-O-Matics. I'll give you one guess how they came up with the name FMX from FX and MX.

Nope, Chuck Testa.

Anyway, yeah, there's front and rear bands in an FMX and you can adjust one of them internally and externally and it's a mess and I really ought to go out to my garage and get my FSM and see what it is. I had mine rebuilt at a shop and in the fall I'll get it serviced just because I can. If I'm lucky I'll have 3000 miles on the rebuild by then. But yeah the Cruise-O-Matic *is* the FMX.
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
colonelsandersman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colonelsandersman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2012 at 3:44PM
Ok that's what i figured I had heard somewhere that the fmx was part of the cruise o matics but wasn't sure.
I just finished tightening that band then letting off 3/4 of a turn and it still chatters a bit, could being low on fluid cause that, I checked the level and it said it was actually a little high, but it had showwed that before when it would not like to shift into drive but I put a quart in anyway and it would go right into drive no problem, it does leak like a siv

Edited by colonelsandersman - 15-April-2012 at 3:45PM
SininenIII View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SininenIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2012 at 10:01PM
According to shop manual, after tightening the adjusting screw it should be backed off exactly 1½ turns, or damage may result. 
Aatu
73 Gran Torino Sport

Post Reply Post Reply