The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FMX - what fluid to fill?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FMX - what fluid to fill?
    Posted: 28-June-2012 at 9:21AM
I'm going to change oil in my FMX tranny. As I know it should be famous Type F . It's no to easy to find this type in Poland, but I've found this http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=2425396767 Carlube ATF-G type M2C-33F/G . Short question - is it correct fluid for my '72 FMX?

Edited by marian601 - 28-June-2012 at 9:22AM
2015 skoda octavia vRS-wife's car
'99 audi TT quattro 225HP-wife's toy
Gran Torino Sport fastback 351C-getting closer :)
DUCATI scrambler 803-new toy :)
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2012 at 9:42AM
I'm not sure but if it were me, I'd email the company and ask them.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2012 at 10:07AM
Type F only in Ford older transmissions, see if someone can ship you some from the states
I can buy it at Walmart and their brand is inexpensive compared to name brand companies 
 I had to buy 7-8 qts to do the trans service in my C6 with the new filter and gasket kit
if you can't get a filter kit there either I would suggest getting one of those shipped in 
with the trans fluid. Liquids have to be shipped special and they will have to be individually sealed in a ziplock plastic bags to contain a spill if the container were to rupture or leak then they have to be packed with plenty of space around the outside of the box so if the box gets poked it don't disturb the containers in the box.
I think this will require someone who is licensed to ship it as they know the rules and are insured to ship hazardous materials
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2012 at 12:20PM
Marian, that is the correct fluid. How can you tell? M2C-33F is the Type F specification and it is different from the Dexron or Mercon fluids. It is correct for your FMX. Also the bottle says Ford right on the front of it, that's the other indicator for me. From a Texaco/Havoline PDF file I had saved on my laptop:

FORD ATF TYPE F is recommended for the following applications:
• Ford or foreign transmissions requiring ATF Type F or Ford M2C33-F or M2C33-G fluid
• John Deere hydrostatic systems which call for J21A fluid
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
marian601 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2012 at 6:06PM
thanks a lot guys! how much fluid do i need for my tranny? i've read 11 qts, is it right?

Edited by marian601 - 28-June-2012 at 6:07PM
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2012 at 6:23PM
11 Quarts is including fluid in the Torque convertor. May be slightly more or less depending on your transmission lines and fluid cooling ( Tranny cooler - Radiator tranny cooler etc ).
 When you pull the tranny pan and drain fluid the torque convertor is not going to drain so I usually start with 5 quarts. After add fluid slowly and keep checking these are easy to overfill. Must be warm idling in park to check fluid level. Again do not overfill it or it will work cold and trans will act up warm as the fluid expands.
marian601 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marian601 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2012 at 6:35PM
Is it feasible to drain also the converter? My torino is in Poland since 2006 and as I know oil has never been changed here. And I don't know anything about service history before. So i think it would be good to replace all capacity.
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2012 at 7:19PM
A shop would have to do a full transmission flush to get the convertor fluid. Other option is to drain and change it a few times running it in between and you can get most of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply