The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air Compressor Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air Compressor Issue
    Posted: 26-July-2012 at 2:38AM

I have a IR 80 gal 7.5 max hp compressor.  It kicked on yesterday and filled up like always, then started what sounded like shot gun shots.  After I cut it off, you could see the tank pegged at 150 psi.  My thoughts are that the pressure blow off is bad or going bad. The unit is mounted in the corner and I haven't tried to get into it yet.  It did fine for about 4 more cycles, then started doing it again about every 10 seconds till I cut it off.

Anyone have any thoughts?  I hope this is as simple as replacing the pressure blow off.

Thanks

Randy

ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2012 at 2:50AM
What is your regular tank pressure?
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2012 at 3:32AM

As far as I know Ilyes, it has always been around 150 which is straight up on the guage. Seems like it was always normally there when I shut the compressor off.  

I did have an electrical surge in the garage during the last few storms that killed the tv there.

The comressor is on a breaker, then a fused shut off box so I think I am safe from the surge as nothing tripped.

Thanks

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2012 at 5:09AM
My pressure blow off got stuck open once. That was fun. Worth looking at. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2012 at 6:12AM
or it could be the high pressure cut off switch is allowing it to run up over the blow-off limit and the high pressure relief valve was operating properly
72 GT Ute

wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2012 at 6:35AM

Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

or it could be the high pressure cut off switch is allowing it to run up over the blow-off limit and the high pressure relief valve was operating properly

This makes sense as it "fixes" itself after being turned off. 

I'm going to try and use it tonight to finish the repair to the side of my car.  Very little painting/clear coat and I'll be done. 

Thanks

Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2012 at 7:18AM
I go with the electrical pressure relay switch too as you mentioned having some electrical surges
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2012 at 3:57PM

Well, it is supposed to be 135 psi max.  I cycled it four times tonight, first 3 everything was fine.  Fourth time it ran away to 150, hit the pop off and wouldn't shut off.

Going to see about getting a replacement.  I think it is heat related.

Thanks

ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2012 at 4:23PM
it might be, as air expends when hot, and it could simply expand in the tank
wideone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wideone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2013 at 2:26PM

Just to put this to bed, it was the pressure switch. 

Easy fix, but i still don't understand why it would work correctly for as long as a week, the run away to the point you couldn't shut it off using the switch, had to trip the breaker to kill it.

oh well.

Post Reply Post Reply