The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help w/ repair work on Aluminum wheels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help w/ repair work on Aluminum wheels
    Posted: 14-August-2012 at 2:21PM
Anyone have any ideas on how to do some minor repair work on Aluminum wheels. I have an Aluminum slotted wheel that has the 5 small holes for the center cap( I am going with no center caps w/ these wheels) ...I would like to fill the holes with something that color wise would blend in with the Aluminum. There is a small amount of curb rash that I would like to take care of as well...some small gouges that I would like to fill with something that again would blend in and not be so noticeable.
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2012 at 3:00PM
I have the same issues with my wheels...
To get rid of the road rash around the perimeter of the wheel lip, I took them in to work and the machinist chucked them in the lathe and gently refaced (light cut) the rim until the divot was gone. I don't think there is anything that you could fill the nicks with that would stay... especially if you had to have tires installed. (Wonder if the Alumiweld they used to advertise on TV would work? They showed it being machined once it cooled/hardened?????)

As for the center cap tapped holes, I'm thinking of chasing the threads and installing aluminum screws from the BACK side then sanding them flush on the face as well as the back. Haven't tried one yet but it sounds like it might work? Not sure how invisible it will be.....

Thoughts and comments??

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2012 at 5:54PM
IMHO...

Run center caps.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2012 at 12:54AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

IMHO...
Run center caps.
.......Only 1 wheel has holes ( or partial holes as I should say...the screws are broke off inside)....I don't want to deal with making 15 new holes and cleaning out 5 old ones........plus, the biggie, the Torino will be a Starsky and Hutch replica when done......No center caps on the wheels. 
"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2012 at 5:07AM

LOL, depending on the scene you are watching dictated whether or not there were center caps on the Torino.... They seemed to come and go during each episode! They could be on when they left the station and would appear and disappear during the drive to their destination.... or even just sitting outside while the boys did their thing. Ahhh, the magic of television!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2012 at 5:31AM
Hmm.Now I am going to have to watch the show closer. I was still stuck on the side mirrors sometimes chrome and sometimes the red sport ones.
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2012 at 11:45AM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

LOL, depending on the scene you are watching dictated whether or not there were center caps on the Torino.... They seemed to come and go during each episode! They could be on when they left the station and would appear and disappear during the drive to their destination.... or even just sitting outside while the boys did their thing. Ahhh, the magic of television!!

I am going with the season 2,  episode 4,  about 12 minutes into the show look as far as the wheels go.LOL 
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2012 at 2:09PM
Originally posted by Robbdtme Robbdtme wrote:

Hmm.Now I am going to have to watch the show closer. I was still stuck on the side mirrors sometimes chrome and sometimes the red sport ones.

LOL, Try throwing the "season" into the mix.... pilot, season 1 or season 2-4 cars.

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ONE!!!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2012 at 5:48PM
Our local FOX channel is running the show on the digital 3 at 8PM every night. 

As far as alum rims I worked my butt off in the  old days sandblasting and restoring polishing. Why? They are so dirt cheap new why mess around.

Rims I  bought Outlaw 2's . Alum slots are about the same.
14" x 8" Brand new $63
15" x 10 " Brand new $68
Rims are the first I ever had that did not have a balance issue.
I bought the exact fit  the old days we had those uni crap rims with the washers we all paid too much for used.
Anyway this place rocks good products good deals and you better duck down fast shipping is fast.bv

http://www.buywheelstoday.com/

Edited by Robbdtme - 15-August-2012 at 5:55PM
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2012 at 6:04AM
Ah...Dude, sorry, can't remember your name!! Sorry!
OK, mental note...they don't have the 5x4.5 listed, but select 114.3 and there ya go {late model ford}

I love these Konig wheels..

As far as the wheels...I used to sell Standard Abrasives and 3M for working and polishing aluminum.
I've done some slots in my time grinding, deburring, and polishing by hand, air and electric tools.

I think honestly, the approach of taking the screws from the back, grinding off and polishing out would work nice once all polished out.

The aluminum is soft enough you can work it during the grinding and polishing. On the wheel lip, you can lightly dress with a grinder with the right dressing and polishing coated abrasives.

I will not lie though. It's a freaking dirty, nasty deal, you need to wear a breathing mask for it, and you will just be sick of it by wheel #2.

I also needed to run 2 compressors with 25-60 gallon tanks in tandem to keep up with my air tools while I did this.

I did this stainless grill on my stepdad's F100 around 6 years ago...when he was alive and building this truck, I got this grill and polished it out for him.
I had 54 hours in just the polishing and metal work.

Edited by Eliteman76 - 16-August-2012 at 6:04AM
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2012 at 3:42PM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

I have the same issues with my wheels...
.......................... (Wonder if the Alumiweld they used to advertise on TV would work? They showed it being machined once it cooled/hardened?????)...................
Thoughts and comments??
After doing some research and asking questions, I have decided to go with Alumiweld (Thanks Joe for putting that idea in my head)...it's available at the Harbor Freight here in town. I have an Aluminum slotted uni-lug wheel that I will be using as my test Mule....keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out....been about 27 years since I welded any Aluminum.
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Ah...Dude, sorry, can't remember your name!! Sorry!
.....some day's I have the same problem my self.Confused
....It's O.K ...In case you forget, it's in my signature line right below Henry Ford's
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2012 at 9:54PM
Brian,

Glad I was able to spark a solution. Be sure and document the process of the Alumiweld repair... I may try it on my center cap hole should I decide to fill 'em in.

Look forward to watching your progress!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2013 at 2:51PM
Originally posted by TV <span =squiggly title=To see spelling suggestions, click  word word=2M8O state=new splc=splc>2M8O</span> TV 2M8O wrote:

Brian,
Glad I was able to spark a solution. Be sure and document the process of the Alumiweld repair... I may try it on my center cap hole should I decide to fill 'em in.
Look forward to watching your progress!
.......I tried Aluminum rod and a MAPP gas torch today....No luck...laid down a decent bead BUT zero penetration(not enough heat/heat dissipated into the rest of the wheel)Angry...next step will be TIG welding
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2013 at 2:35AM
We have a guy here locally that repairs wheels - can't remember his name, but he TIG's the wheels, then machines them down. No issues with the repairs I've seen.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
JoeKarasinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeKarasinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2013 at 11:54AM
These are the guys that did my wheels. http://restockwheels.com/ They recut the surface, and refinished them with a powder coat clear. they can also weld or what ever you need. Cost me 85 dollars a wheel.
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2013 at 3:07PM
......not to be a "Guest"LOL(in side joke on the forum)...but I have 30 plus years under my ever expanding belt welding, access to a tig welder and everything else mentioned tool and machine wise.....all I was doing was seeing if it could  be done with MAPP gas and Aluminum rod...which as I found out it can't...the wheel turns into a giant heat sink resulting in a poor, at best, weld.
  Hopefully someone, who was thinking of doing the same thing, will read the results and decide to do otherwise verses investing $$ on something that simply won't work. 
   I can take that $ 85.00 x 4 (or in my case 3) and apply it else where on the project on something that I can't do...like upholstery.
  I'll post the results of TIG welding

Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2013 at 7:02PM
Originally posted by Zebra 3 Zebra 3 wrote:

It's available at the Harbor Freight here in town.

WAIT! WHAT!? There is a Harbor Freight in Topeka!!!???

OH SNAP! I am sooooo gonna go broke now buying stuff!!!

PLEASE give me an address for the mother of all grown men's toy store!!

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2013 at 12:52AM
Originally posted by Regul8r Regul8r wrote:

It's available at the Harbor Freight here in town.

WAIT! WHAT!? There is a Harbor Freight in Topeka!!!???

OH SNAP! I am sooooo gonna go broke now buying stuff!!!

PLEASE give me an address for the mother of all grown men's toy store!!

The address , here in Topeka, is 230 S.E 29 th.  .....East of 29 th. and Topeka just past the rail road over pass....North side of the street ...acrosss the street from Church's Chicken....stop in and see Chicken Man  

Edited by Zebra 3 - 09-April-2013 at 12:59AM
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2013 at 11:18AM
  Got the wheels TIG welded today by someone who does it a heck of a lot better than I ever could( last time that I TIG welded was back in the mid 80's as I recall) ...I cleaned up the welded area though( at least I was able to do something)....should polish up real niceBig smile

Edited by Zebra 3 - 13-April-2013 at 11:20AM
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
stldesign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stldesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2013 at 6:18AM
(Hey B.C. Sorry for the off topic reply but just a quick hello from M.S. sad that its been 26 years since we have seen each other. Funny we both have torino/fairlanes. I also have a 79 continental.)

Anyway in the past when I need work done on aluminum I had a guy that worked on aluminum boat props. Those guys can do just about anything with aluminum.

Also the kid across the street has a wheel repair business but he deals strictly with car dealerships. You might see who your local body shop or car dealer works with for wheel repair.

Zebra 3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2013 at 5:04AM
Hey Mike...sorry for the delay
 I was able to get the 3 wheels TIG welded...(1 front, 1 rear, 1 back up for the front)  was able to get a smooth, bright reflective finish by sanding and buffing.....looks greatBig smile
  A '79 Continental in St.Louis ...imagine that

Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2015 at 5:28AM

Got the wheels TIG welded today by someone who does it a heck of a lot better than I ever could( last time that I TIG welded was back in the mid 80's as I recall) ...I cleaned up the welded area though( at least I was able to do something)....should polish up real niceBig smile

Brian,

About time for me to start addressing my wheel issues.... Can you post a few pics of your repaired wheels???

THANKS Beer

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
 Post Reply Post Reply