The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remove steering assist?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTS73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remove steering assist?
    Posted: 18-September-2012 at 8:21AM
My '68 is having a bit of a steering issue... the frame bracket for the steering assist broke loose months ago and I had it repaired. They told me they'd just weld it on and I'd be good to go. Bam. Done. Right?

Nah... it broke lose again a few weeks ago and it turns out they welded the bolts up into the frame and the bolts broke loose.

Now I am being told that if I want to weld the bracket itself to the frame, it may not take because of the possibility of the two different types of metal not being able to bond properly, etc. This may be the reason for the bolts not taking the welds from the other garage, but who knows. They were also getting into possibly cutting a C-channel, etc, because of a possibly weak unibody frame.

So I am wondering, I've driven vehicles before without power steering without issue, and this one is easy to turn (not heavy, etc) until the hanging bracket gets bound up and then it won't turn to the right, but turning left is a breeze... and that's a product of the loose bracket getting bound, not the steering itself.

So I'm at my wit's end with this steering fiasco. Any have any opinions or experience on whether just removing the steering assist altogether is a viable option, and if so what kind of a job am I looking at as far as taking it off (and possibly putting it back on if it ever comes down to it)?

I'm not quite ready to go out and rip it off just yet. I am aware it would probably affect the value, I'm just looking for some insight. :)

Edited by GTS73 - 18-September-2012 at 8:22AM
-Keith

`04 Wrangler Sport
`73 Gran Torino - sold :(
`68 Torino GT Fastback
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2012 at 8:42AM
I think the biggest problem is that the first guys didn't know what they were doing. It stayed welded on since 1968, I don't know why it wouldn't stay there now. Take it to a professional welder to get it done right. Maybe he could recommend a way to add more strength to the repair using gussets or a brace.
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2012 at 9:16AM
I agree completely. Probably a poor weld or not prepped well enough.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
GTS73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTS73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2012 at 9:33AM
Well, thing is it wasn't welded originally, there were three bolts holding the bracket to the frame: two underneath and one inner. The two on the underside broke loose. They looked like some type of compression fitting which I would guess makes it a pain to repair because they come from inside the frame outward. So they stuck two nuts (I said bolts earlier, oops) up in the frame and screwed into them, which didn't last long.

I do agree with you though... why on earth did these bolts decide to break loose now? :P Is there that much of a strain coming from the steering assist? Just my luck.
-Keith

`04 Wrangler Sport
`68 Torino GT Fastback
madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2012 at 10:14AM
A good welder can make the bracket weld to the frame. it is thick and the frame is thin. find an old school welder and he can do it.  I added power steering to mine and the nuts you referred  to were not there as it was a manual steer car originally. My high school shop teacher welded mine for me in 1991 it is still there. 
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.
srwith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srwith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2012 at 10:28AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

I agree completely. Probably a poor weld or not prepped well enough.

I second that. if the weld was done correct should be a good even flow melting into nut and frame evenly. If it looks like wart's Dead.
two loves, torino's and bike riding. drive and ride safe.
GTS73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTS73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2012 at 11:04AM
Thanks for the input thus far guys. I'd hate to rip it out... that was really just me venting a bit of frustration. :P

I have to replace the alternator and possibly voltage regulator over the next day or so when I get some time, then I'll get it to the shop I was headed to yesterday when I found the battery and alternator was flat dead. It started up after a jump but when the jumpers were pulled it cut out. If it's isn't one thing..............
-Keith

`04 Wrangler Sport
`68 Torino GT Fastback
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2012 at 2:40PM
i thought 68 was a unibody? it's been so long since i had my 68 i don't remember too well what it all looks like under there, is it a front sub-frame mounted to the body?

as far as attaching a thick bracket to thinner material, you need to add a mid-thickness plate that increases surface attaching area & strength for the thick bracket to be welded to. maybe even a couple plates from each side of the 'frame' that will overlap where the bracket mounts. punch some holes into the load plates and weld around the holes to the base metal for more attachment strength  
72 GT Ute

GTS73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTS73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-September-2012 at 2:21AM
You're correct, unless someone else mentioned otherwise somewhere, I'd mentioned a "weak" unibody frame in the OP. The garage I was headed to this past Monday before everything died on me seemed to have some good back and forth about possible fixes and getting it done right. I replaced the battery, alternator, and voltage reg, and everything seems to be charging fine now, so I'm headed back this Monday so they can have a look in person and give their best recommendations.
-Keith

`04 Wrangler Sport
`68 Torino GT Fastback
 Post Reply Post Reply