The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Axles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Axles
    Posted: 30-January-2013 at 3:19AM
Going to be changing the gears in rear end. Pass. side axle slid out with a tapor two. Driverside not so much. What gives? More talking to? It spins nice. It's a 9 inch.
 Steve
73MONTEGO
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 4:46AM
Is the axle retainer bound up on the axle retainer studs? I tacked all my "T"-bolts/studs so I wouldn't have to keep one hand on the bolts and try to slide the axle in without messing up the axle seal. If tacked they could be just a little "off" and causing the retainer to bind when removing the axles(ask me how I know this happens Unhappy). Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 6:58AM
Are you using the 'brake drum as a slide hammer' technique?
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 7:41AM
T Bolts are out. Never heard of brake drum as a slide hammer. But I do think I know what you're  saying. I just put a brass bar thru a hole in the brake drum to the back of the axle and swung.
Steve
73MONTEGO
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 8:13AM

Remove the drum, install it backwards, put the lugs on three or four revolutions, proceed to 'slide' the drum quickly and abruptly against the lugs. should come out after five or six impacts.
Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 8:25AM
I just did mine. More talking to, depending on how much rust you may have. Mine came out fairly easy with a little persuading. I like the tacking idea; I had to wrestle with mine a bit but still came out great. The inside retainer ring is tricky but if you do it right it'll be fine. Make sure you are extracting the ring EVENLY and you won't have any problems. If the ring starts to come uneven tap it back in and start over. Another thing: The stupid tool they loan at Autozone for the ring removal doesn't fit on anything. Find a bolt that fits and weld it on a slide hammer. Worked great for me. You also may have to modify the tool itself to make the edges sharper to grab the ring better, as sometimes the tool has been used many times and the edges will be rounded off. I just touched it up with flat black spray paint before I turned it back in!I'll post a pic of my little tool (pun intended).
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 8:54AM
Here is a pic of the race ring still in, and here is my modified slide hammer that will fit on the tool from Autozone:
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 9:12AM
Wow. I've had 5 or 6 of these cars apart, and never had a bearing come apart like that on removal.

Paul
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2013 at 2:25PM
Paul,you probably had sealed roller bearing style as opposed to the taper roller style,like the one shown in the pic.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2013 at 8:10AM
Ha, EVERY car I've done this to separated like that, lol. My new ones appear sealed, though, so hopefully I won't have this problem again if I decide to upgrade to 31 spline. My wish list is a Tremec 6 speed, but how much do I want to spend on this car???
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2013 at 5:59PM
Originally posted by 75GranMan 75GranMan wrote:

Paul,you probably had sealed roller bearing style as opposed to the taper roller style,like the one shown in the pic.

Correct, always a 73+ axle.. even my truck came apart in 'one piece'. 

Paul
smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2013 at 11:20PM
Tried the slide hammer idea. No luck. I need to talk louder I guess.
73MONTEGO
stanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2013 at 1:04AM
If you're not in a hurry you could spray some penetrating oil inside the housing and let it sit for a day or three. OR if it's an emergency you could heat the end of the axle tube with an acetylene torch until it's real hot but this usually burns other stuff you had no intention of replacing.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2013 at 3:05AM
Keep banging on it..... or get a friend with more oomph.

You could rent the axle puller slide hammer from autozone, but that too is basically a glorified weight-on-a-shaft that bolts to the studs.

Paul
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2013 at 8:17AM
Good, slide hammer with some OOMPH, Maybe some heat but most definately P'Blaster penetrant...
It WILL come. 
Not to hi-jack the thread but, are there specific years, makes, models etc that you can go out and buy to get the 31 spline compared to the 28?
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2013 at 8:42AM
What exactly are you trying to get out... The axle itself? Up top someone said mount the brake drum on there backwards, this is correct, but not to use as a slide hammer; it just gives you more of a surface to tap with the hammer from the back side. Just a little at a time in different spots. If this fails, do what everyone else say, it'll come with patience.
75 Ranchero in progress
89 Toyota pickup modded
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2013 at 1:10PM
I had an 8 inch that had never been apart on a '72 model. Years of sitting had caused everything to stick together TIGHTLY. Soaked everything with Kroil for a day. One side came out pretty easily with a few taps while turning. The other took about 40 hard hits while turning with a 10# sledge. It finally came out, but was not pretty and I junked the axles afterward - just needed the 3.25 center section.

But it did come out...
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2013 at 1:16PM

Boom.

But admittedly, I've had the car shaking on jackstands doing this, lol..

Paul
smhj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2013 at 11:00AM
Well after Blaster and some beer muscles then some more Blaster beer muscles still nothing. Then I got an idea. I put a couple long bolts thru the T bolts holes with a nut on both sides of the plate that holds the brake stuff. Not thru the I'll call the bearing keeper plate. Tighten the bolts and it forces the axle out. I hope I explained it well enough if anybody needs to do it.
73MONTEGO
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-February-2013 at 12:11PM
Originally posted by smhj smhj wrote:

Well after Blaster and some beer muscles then some more Blaster beer muscles still nothing. Then I got an idea. I put a couple long bolts thru the T bolts holes with a nut on both sides of the plate that holds the brake stuff. Not thru the I'll call the bearing keeper plate. Tighten the bolts and it forces the axle out. I hope I explained it well enough if anybody needs to do it.

Never take NO for an answer! Good idea!

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply