The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Floor shift conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontegoMan351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floor shift conversion
    Posted: 16-December-2006 at 12:20PM
 Well, I went to the junk yard and found almost everything I need to convert my car to floor shift.

I found:
Shifter Hump
Rubber Boot
Upper Portion of the Steering Column

Are there any sites that detail how to do it, or does any body know how. The biggest part will be the wiring, I am not too worried about the linkage to the trans., as I am going to swap in a wide-ratio AOD when I do this.

The worst thing about that car I got the parts from is, it is a '75 Elite, that somebody put a 351C in and put the 351M valve covers on it; if I had room I would get the Cleveland. It's a shame to see another Cleveland go to the crusher.

Thanks in advance, Chris.

1973 Montego MX, 351 Cleveland 2v SEFI, '88 LSC EFI harn. and Fuel rails, Adj. Fuel Pres. Reg., A9L Mustang Computer, 76 mm Mass Air Housing. W/R AOD, Lock Right Locker, Electric Fan. 3G Alternator.
Jim-R500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim-R500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-December-2006 at 3:33PM
Last year, I converted a column shift to floor shift in a 72 Ranchero.  Are you still looking for some help?
MontegoMan351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontegoMan351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2006 at 11:32AM
Yeah, I'm converting to an AOD at the same time.  I figured it would be easier to hook up a floor shift, than try to hook up a column shift.  I was told I should use an AOD shifter, I figure out of an AOD LSC or Mustang, and just modify it to the hump I got, that way the datents line up w/o many modifications.  I thought if I was to do it, I should do it right.  I've seem quite a few hack jobs, where people take the column shift lever off and leave the same upper column an a column shift.  I've seen where people take a older Mustang shifter, cut a hole in the floor, and attach it to the floor (not even to the correct hump) and run a thick bead of silicone around it to seal it.  If I'm going to do it, I want to do it right the first time.
If you have any more info, that would be great, Chris.
1973 Montego MX, 351 Cleveland 2v SEFI, '88 LSC EFI harn. and Fuel rails, Adj. Fuel Pres. Reg., A9L Mustang Computer, 76 mm Mass Air Housing. W/R AOD, Lock Right Locker, Electric Fan. 3G Alternator.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2006 at 1:38PM
I did a third version, I cut off the column shift mechanism and filled it smooth.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
MontegoMan351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontegoMan351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2006 at 2:52PM
Well I already have the upper part of the column, so I am set.  The one thing I hate seeing is where someone leaves it exposed.  I guess smoothing it down would work too.Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply