The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Edelbrock vs Holley?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edelbrock vs Holley?
    Posted: 14-March-2013 at 11:31AM
Just curious as to what everyone has to say about either or both in regards to carbs.

I'm currently running an Eddy Thunder 800, and the tuning aspect is driving me nuts!

I still have alot to learn, but I know most of you have dealt with them way more than I have. Is one better than the other, etc..

Thanks!
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2013 at 11:58AM
Generally I think standard wisdom will indicate Edelbrock's are good for street use and Holley's are good for performance.

With that being said, my solution to tuning my 600 Edelbrock has been to buy a sh&*$load of rods and jets and just keep massaging it until it gets right. That can be very subjective. In the case of my pickup, it is never right, but that's not the fault of the carb - the 360 engine is a damn road dog and I hate it.

But that's a whole other discussion!
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2013 at 12:36PM
Depends on what you are working with to start but I only use Holley or Quick Fuel for my carbs. I loved the Quick Fuel I had on my 347 stroker.
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2013 at 1:52PM
holley or quick fuel.  QFT makes a real bad ass carb right out of the box.
Mike
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2013 at 2:13PM
Throttle shafts wear out on Edelbrock.
Holly can be fun to tune.
Been using Barry Grant carbs the last few years, Things are sweet!!!
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
mlachance112785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2013 at 7:49PM
The motor is very mild. 460 .030 over, mild cam, Performer intake, Recurved Duraspark. I traded Psquare the 600 (worked perfectly fine) that was on the previous 460 for the Thunder 800. Bought the rebuild kit for it, put back the correct rods/jets for that carb if it were NIB. I have a Wideband hooked up, and with the original rods/jets in, it goes way lean (17+) on GENTLE acceleration, and 14-16 during cruise. Basically, haven't been able to comfortably drive the car. I have 2 rod/jet kits, and have tried 4-5 different combinations. It's a bit better, but is tuning a carb normally this much of a PITA, or because I'm new to this whole thing.
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2013 at 8:15PM
I love a Holley!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2013 at 1:19AM
Holleys are ok, but earlier ones have a tendency to warp the baseplate.

Motorcraft carbs are just junk. Sorry, guys.

I have a Demon carb on my 4 speed. My first, and not too impressed at the response and adjustability. Could just be a bad one.

Carter Thermoquad. Love the sound and response, hate the mileage and adjustability.

Had decent luck with Edelbrock, but not great luck.

Unfortunately, I have had the best luck out of a Quadra Jet. Have run them for years, and the CFM rating can go up to 800 depending on application. Great adjustability, plentiful, relatively inexpensive, and sounds like it can suck a pigeon out of the sky when you stomp the pedal. Run them on Fords, GM's and Mopars - all with good luck.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Blueoval76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2013 at 1:31AM
I would suggest a Quick Fuel 750 for it since its a 460. Out of the box they are great as I didn't even do any adjusting on mine on my 347. Yes it was a radical build but you have over 100 more cubes than I did. I bought my QFT 750 on Ebay from a pawn shop that was brand new in the box and got it for $375.  Wink

I would say one like this one...

Edited by Blueoval76 - 15-March-2013 at 1:42AM
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2013 at 3:41AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Holleys are ok, but earlier ones have a tendency to warp the baseplate.

Motorcraft carbs are just junk. Sorry, guys.

I have a Demon carb on my 4 speed. My first, and not too impressed at the response and adjustability. Could just be a bad one.

Carter Thermoquad. Love the sound and response, hate the mileage and adjustability.

Had decent luck with Edelbrock, but not great luck.

Unfortunately, I have had the best luck out of a Quadra Jet. Have run them for years, and the CFM rating can go up to 800 depending on application. Great adjustability, plentiful, relatively inexpensive, and sounds like it can suck a pigeon out of the sky when you stomp the pedal. Run them on Fords, GM's and Mopars - all with good luck.

X2. Joe you are exactly right. I had my grandfather's old 79 DeVille, and I had to rebuild the carb on it one time. I was rather apathetic about it, but proceeded to buy a book about Quadrajets and read the whole thing. I was a big Q-Jet fan after that.

I'd put one on the Torino if it were something I could do reasonably quickly. I had always envisioned massive linkage mods and baseplate mods...

Maybe I am wrong on that. I would like to see other's experiences with Q-Jets.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2013 at 4:04AM
Scott, my '68 F100 had one on it until I sold the drivetrain recently. You can use an adapter or an aluminum intake (I've done both). Linkage for the accelerator popped right on the carb with a ford nipple, kickdown did the same. I love the fact that you get the small primaries for good mileage and those honkin' secondaries when you want to go. Again, they make a sound that will split your face open from grinning.

"DOO-WHAAAAAAAAAAA"
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2013 at 4:58AM
Only Quadrajet I had was on my jetboat great carb. At one point I put a  650 Holley on the boat thinking I could get more out of it. Ran good with the holley but performance was exactly the same as the Quad, But it used almost twice as much fuel. Put the Quad back on that one.( 403 Olds Motor ).

Sorry you had poor luck with your Barry Grant carb Joe. All aftermarket carbs though do need some setting up for your application. Main thing is run a good Carb simulation software program first. You would be surprised how many carbs are overkill. My 434M stroker Needs to be at 5700 rpm to use 625cfm Of carb. Also had to change the secondary opening point, In my case Vacuum sec so a lighter spring was in order. Prior secondaries would not open until over 5500rpm.
Quadrajet secondaries do not need much to open up other than some foot in the pedal...
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
foote500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foote500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2013 at 5:17AM
I like Strombergs and Zeniths.

Edited by foote500 - 15-March-2013 at 5:19AM
Marc
German Shepherd Rescue
1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 390

Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2013 at 7:58AM
I am running a carter AFB 650 on my 74 ranchero 460. It was good to go right out of the box. Set the idle mix screws and the idle and done! Have not touched it in years. On the 79's 460 I am running the holley 600 CFM factory replacment carb and that too has been pretty trouble free. Set the floats/idle mix/idle and choke done. Both engines are not anything real radical. the 74's engine has a .494 lift with a 272 duration and headers with 9 to 1 compression. the 79's is basicly stock with a 429 CJ cam and 9 to 1 compression (stock exhaust manifolds). Both cars display great drivablity.  
mlachance112785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2013 at 10:28AM
Think I may have made some progress today. Once made some more changes. Last jet/rod/spring/accelerator pump (pretty much everything) made the biggest difference. Car still runs kinda crappy coldish, but once up to normal operating temp, it runs great.

I have a Holley 600 I picked up in a bin of parts I was going to rebuild and flip on eBay that I'm going to try. Hopefully that will run better than this Eddy 800. I'll sell the 800, run the Holley, and save my pennies to get something else down the road.

77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2013 at 7:43PM
I have a 55 gallon drum full of original ford 4bbl holleys. To me they are worth crush weight. Around 10 bucks each. I saved them over the years from my friends junkyard. Aslo have 5 55 gallon barrels of quadrajets.  1 barrel of 4100-4300 motorcraft 4bbl carbs. Each barrel has around 40-50 carbs in it. I would consider these all junk rebuild carbs but good cores. Anyone here though wants a few pay shipping and 10 bucks each you can have em. I would suggest buying about 4 at a time save on shipping  and I am not looking at tags ones on the top get sent.
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2013 at 11:38PM
damn, wish i were closer. Looking for a correct Autolite 4100 for the 7 litre,  C6AF-F or C6AF-BU
Mike
foote500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foote500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2013 at 12:20AM
Originally posted by Robbdtme Robbdtme wrote:

I have a 55 gallon drum full of original ford 4bbl holleys. To me they are worth crush weight. Around 10 bucks each. I saved them over the years from my friends junkyard. Aslo have 5 55 gallon barrels of quadrajets.  1 barrel of 4100-4300 motorcraft 4bbl carbs. Each barrel has around 40-50 carbs in it. I would consider these all junk rebuild carbs but good cores. Anyone here though wants a few pay shipping and 10 bucks each you can have em. I would suggest buying about 4 at a time save on shipping  and I am not looking at tags ones on the top get sent.

Where were you when I was scouring the net looking for a 4300-D? Confused
Marc
German Shepherd Rescue
1967 Ford Fairlane 500, 390

Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2013 at 2:36AM
Originally posted by Robbdtme Robbdtme wrote:

Errr. you probably should dig through those.. Most of those Qjets flow 800CFM

A quick check of eBay shows even junk-but-clean-together-units getting $20 each 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2013 at 5:03AM
the 4100's seem to go for at least $25 ea or more and thats for ones needing rebuilt.
Mike
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2013 at 6:55AM
any chance there's a Ford pattern Shocked Rochester Quadrajunk in the piles going to scrap?
72 GT Ute

mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2013 at 7:10AM
the q-jets that ford used had the same pattern as the gm QJ's
Mike
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-March-2013 at 7:11AM
Originally posted by mcford mcford wrote:

the 4100's seem to go for at least $25 ea or more and thats for ones needing rebuilt.

And I have 4 reman Q-jets on ebay right now at $50 a piece.

mcford7t3

Edited by mcford - 17-March-2013 at 7:11AM
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply