The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring Harnesses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring Harnesses
    Posted: 09-April-2013 at 1:52PM
What are you guys using for wiring harnesses? Anyone using the aftermarket wiring harness for a complete car? 
All our harnesses are at least 40 years old and if they are anything like the 2 I have here they are brittle and frayed with some broken or missing plugs.  
Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
2003 HD Road King Classic 100th Anniversary
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2013 at 4:12PM
I have kept the original harness but modify ends as necessary. Unless there has been excessive UV (read: sun) exposure or chafing issues, the wiring itself should not be too bad if left somewhat undisturbed. The wiring is no where near as good as aircraft wiring, but the vinyl jacket should still be ok.

You are correct that many of the connectors can be problem areas though. They are cheap to begin with and don't prevent moisture or dust contamination, etc.

My biggest fear has always been the two large firewall connectors. I have not yet disassembled mine on the 75, but am thinking I might replace then with aircraft style circular connectors. The fuse box is also a cause for concern. I know mine is trashed from years of overheating blower motor fuses, and there is rust on the fuse tines which is also a resistance path and hence more trouble. A Painless fuse box or equivalent would also be a wise upgrade.

Also in some select applications, such as engine wiring that may be heat or oil damaged, I do replace on a case-by-case basis.

Another thing that has worried me recently with experience from my 71 F-250 is good grounds. Both fuel sending units don't read well on that truck because the ground paths which were good brand new are no longer very good, and you see the results with low amperage signals. For my pickup I ordered a new set of battery cables and when I did I had the ground cable have an extra 6AWG wire that terminated to a 3/8 ring terminal to ground to the chassis. From there I can create ground studs (like airplanes use) and have lights and other things terminate to them so I do not worry about proper grounds for important equipment.

Enough of my rambling. Just some of my random thoughts.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
72BlackGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2013 at 3:32PM
Thanks Scott. No ramblings. Just conversation. 

Same thoughts as me but mine is all spaghetti and such a mess. I bought a new aftermarket harness and was thinking of making the connections with the waterproof connectors and get it ready to drop in at some point. Looking to see if anyone else had tackled this problem.
Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2013 at 2:37AM
Every Painless kit I've ever installed has been superb. My '76 had wiring issues from the moment I bought it back in 1980. My Dad and I tried everything, but that car absolutely burned through switches, voltage regulators and alternators. You could just be driving along, hit a small ripple in the pavement and the lights/accessories would go dim/slow down and the alternator light would come on. At that point, you had to hit a pothole or hard lump in the road quickly to make the alt light go off and regain all your normal power. We tried battery grounding cables attached everywhere, ground straps attached at various spots, installed numerous new parts, had an electrician look it over...no dice. When the time comes to drag that car out of mothballs, I will certainly go with a complete Painless kit and avoid the aggravation. Dealing with those issues at 17 years of age is one thing, dealing with it 30+ years later is quite another.

Save yourself the grief.

On a side note, I used to build a lot of Volvo 240/740/760 cars several years ago. Great cars, but the wiring is the worst. Oil and UV degradation of the vinyl coating would cause the wires in bundles to come in contact with each other and fuse together after the coating turned to a gooey soup. I became quite adept at wiring , since there was no aftermarket kit available and bought spools of various gauge wire. Although ours normally don't turn gooey, they do become brittle, crack, and corrode. No fun when you turn on the wipers and the lights go off, the radio cuts on, the blower stops and it's a cold rainy night.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72BlackGTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BlackGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2013 at 4:18PM
yeah Joe you're right. My concern is the dead short that starts a fire. I'd hate to see all the hard work go into a project and see it go up in flames on the road or worse in the garage. 
Thats the direction I guess I'm headed to try and prevent problems before they start. I need to get back on the horse and get some of these issues worked out.

Edited by 72BlackGTS - 11-April-2013 at 4:19PM
Ron
1978 LTD II Sport-Green
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2013 at 1:40AM
I agree. Saw the video of the yellow restored Lambo that caught fire during a photo shoot. Just the thought of that happening to my finished project or my home is cause for instant nausea. I can attest the damage a small flame can cause to our cars - my carb caught fire on the wagon and before I could jump out, pop the hood and put out the flames, it ruined the element, messed up the carb, melted some wires, and smoked a bunch of things up. In less than 1 minute.

It will be the best $500-700 you will ever spend. About what the deductable on a claim would be...without the loss.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2013 at 2:52AM
My Cougar was a one owner car, unmolested. Any wiring issue has been my fault, lol. If you fuse things properly and use relays, you won't have a meltdown.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
mugzilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mugzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2013 at 3:28AM
Fusible link on all hot leads?
You can call me Mike or you can call me Mug
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2013 at 4:25AM
The car has that from the factory. Anything else connected to the battery (Elec fan, alarm, headlight relays) I added inline fuses.

I can't get my car to stop worth a damn due to brake issues, but at least it won't burn down lol.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
 Post Reply Post Reply