The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deleting EGR question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zebra 3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deleting EGR question
    Posted: 18-July-2013 at 4:13PM
I am wanting to make some changes to my stock '76 351 W ....I have already disabled the smog air pump and plugged the heads(tubes at the rear of the heads) and am getting ready to install a vintage Holley Street Dominator intake with a NEW Holley 650 C.F.M Carb......my question is about the EGR valve.

Should I have any concerns with increased combustion temperatures, pinging and running lean as a result of not running the EGR valve OR is there any thing else that I can do to keep the combustion temperatures low enough that there is no damage being done to pistons. I know that retarding the timing will help some, but that is defeating the performance aspect of things.

Can I make adjustments with the air/fuel mixture to over come the issues?....re-jet the carb? Confused

"I deeply admire the men who founded this country, and I think we ought to know more about them and how they lived and the force and courage they had.
Henry Ford. 1926
Brian Conn
'76 Torino
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2013 at 5:15PM
No problems you are over thinking it. "increased combustion temperatures, pinging and running lean". If anything you will run richer by not  returning exhaust. Change your timing chain right away to lose the 4degree delay or better yet cam and chain. Run mid grade fuel and advance the timing about 3-4 degrees advanced past specs then. If not changing cam and or chain time it by ear as these are old motors all slopped out. Set parking brake have a friend help holding brakes HARD while in gear revving engine advance timing until you hear spark knock, delay timing slowly until it goes away.Optimum timing setting.
May not be factory but works well for me.

Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2013 at 12:37PM
Only thing I found was my millage dropped instead of getting better as I was told it would.
ghosttrain2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghosttrain2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2013 at 3:46PM
Back in the day, when these systems were used, when the egr was disabled, or removed, the vacuum advance on the distributor was adjusted in 6 turns with a cut down allen wrench.

1977 LTD, 2 door
1972 N code Ranchero, Project
1972 Torino formal roof
1970 Torino 500, Project
1974 Cougar parts car
 Post Reply Post Reply