Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Transmission Support - engine install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Transmission Support - engine install
    Posted: 03-September-2013 at 6:01AM
So I finally had time on Labor Day to install the 521/C-6 combo into the 75 Sport. I definitely felt as if I was shoehorning it in there. With the headers it is an extremely tight fit. In fact, the driver side header touches the upper A-arm and the pass side will touch the brake line by the A-arm so I will have to modify the line.

The front end is all off at this time. Can't imagine doing it without everything cleared away.

The problem I am having is the rear transmission crossmember. I know several have complained of the same problem in the past - and I actually had trouble finding some of the better conversations on the topic we've had here over the years.

Predictably, I could not get the two studs of the rear trans mount over the crossmember. Even with the trans/engine as far back as I could go (say two inches forward of being on the frame) at max height I could not even think of clearing it.

What I ended up doing is getting the engine/trans in, and then placing the crossmember in. Currently it is just sitting there. I unbolted the mount from the transmission and played around with the mount/crossmember a bit. Those bolts going into the transmission are impossible to thread when the mount is in place, and there is no way to place the crossmember with the mount in place.

I think the crossmember might be slightly bent. My brother had taken the car 4x4'ing when he owned it 20+ years ago, and as such the frame had some bends in it as well as the crossmember. I could get a new crossmember (which I will endeavor to do), but even a slight bend maybe is 1/2 inch or something, not the 2+ inches I need to correct this issue.

Is there an alternative transmission mount available? Can I modify the one I have? Any other ideas?

I am so close to having this completely installed, and it is an important milestone for me and for the project.

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2013 at 6:59AM
So our cars have an offset transmission mount. I am not in front of one, but it is something like 1/2" or so, maybe 1".  Many replacement (other style) mounts do not have that offset. I presume the bolt spacing on the top is all the same for a C-6, on the bottom it might not be the same.

One that came to mind as I was hunting was Prothane 61605:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=61605#

Of course it is a mount with no offset. But maybe using the forward hole in the crossmember frame mount?

Again, coming up with some ideas. Sitting at work, so I am not in front of my car to measure this stuff.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2013 at 7:03AM
What model C6 trans do you have? Long tailshaft(Lincoln/Thunderbird) or regular tailshaft? Pics if possible.  Make sure before you cut anything unnecessarily, that the engine is installed level, pretty easy to lay a 2 foot level across the left and right valve covers on a 460(may have to use identical sized spacers on each valve cover if a mid to high rise manifold is used), or even the intake manifold's carb base. Between the bolt clearance in the chassis and the bolt clearance in the motor mount there could be a combined clearance of about 1/8-1/4" of total movement up or down on each motor mount, totaled together that could be as much as 1/2" of allowable movement. I remember long ago when I installed my headers, I had to trim the rear corners of the upper control arms, about 3/8" or so diagonal cut with a cut-off wheel. Instead of having to move my brake lines I cut and formed heat shields from 16 ga sheet metal and tek (hex-headed self drilling screws)screwed them into place on the chassis to protect the lines and are removable. Good luck with your project, gotta love a stroked BBF. Todd
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2013 at 7:05AM
Originally posted by GranTorinoSport GranTorinoSport wrote:

So our cars have an offset transmission mount. I am not in front of one, but it is something like 1/2" or so, maybe 1".  Many replacement (other style) mounts do not have that offset. I presume the bolt spacing on the top is all the same for a C-6, on the bottom it might not be the same.

One that came to mind as I was hunting was Prothane 61605:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=61605#

Of course it is a mount with no offset. But maybe using the forward hole in the crossmember frame mount?

Again, coming up with some ideas. Sitting at work, so I am not in front of my car to measure this stuff.

Looks like regular tail shaft mount. Definitely not long tail shaft dual mounts. Maybe a little fabrication will be needed.

Edited by aquartlow - 03-September-2013 at 7:06AM

unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2013 at 7:16AM
Scott, I have the C6 crossmember out of my '74 Ranchero. You can have it if you want, and I could bring it to Dawsonville. I have your '73 grill and surround packed if you still want them.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2013 at 8:56AM
aquartlow - I believe it is just a standard tailshaft length. I told the guy at Broader Performance what car I had, and it seems to fit like it is supposed to be there.

Joe - let me try and find a crossmember locally first, but thank you very much for the offer - I may need it. However that and the grille which I still want, shipping might be better. Laura and I will be flying down to Atlanta, luggage costs have skyrocketed on airlines! $75 for an oversized "freight" package/luggage from Alaska Airlines or whoever is probably way more than UPS shipping costs and even me covering your time to package/ship it.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2013 at 8:58AM
Looking more at that mount, it would appear that the side that mounts to the transmission may not fit a 1/2-13 bolt through it (which is what goes to the transmission). I am certain a machine shop could alter that for me though. Not a deal breaker.

I'll have to get underneath the car this week and look some more. I may order that mount if nobody has a better idea or alternative part.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2013 at 12:41PM
Scott,
 Let me look through a few factory C6 mounts that I have, I seem to remember one of them having a similar style like the one in the pic you posted. I will try to find it tonight if possible and post a pic, hopefully I still have it. Todd

aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2013 at 1:04PM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

Scott,
 Let me look through a few factory C6 mounts that I have, I seem to remember one of them having a similar style like the one in the pic you posted. I will try to find it tonight if possible and post a pic, hopefully I still have it. Todd

Sorry Scott, the trans mount I have is for a C6 4x4 application.

madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2013 at 1:47PM
The mount needs to be offset so the cross member will clear the trans pan. Moving the cross member up to the front bolts will cause the cross member to hit the pan. The cross member will go in just takes some muscle and sometimes a big hammer. The only way I could get mine to go was to start it diagonally one side in front of frame mount, other behind. Then as you twist it in, the bolts on the mount will line up, one on the front of a slot the other on the back . May have to tap with a BIG FANCY HAMMER to get in place.

Edited by madmaxtorino - 03-September-2013 at 2:52PM
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2013 at 2:19PM
Max has got it correct. this is the way I've always installed my torino crossmember or any B car mount for that matter.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2013 at 5:32AM
I forced mine. Jacked the trans up so high the car started lifting a bit.

BFH with some not so gentle persuasion.

It fit.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2013 at 5:46AM
Ok, sounds like this is the plan. I need to make sure my existing crossmember is not bent upward or anything. It is a little tweaked where it did hit a rock (or something?), so I am not sure about the damage to it without having one side-by-side.

However, seems like the only way. I do know it will sit there, as I have placed the crossmember, the transmission and the mount there (without it being bolted in at the transmission side), and it rests there. The transmission seems a little high, but it fits. I did that just to roll it back and forth in the garage for now.

What we really need is a new crossmember made, an improved version. Something out 3/8 steel and much narrower so you can use the front holes and the straight mount in which you can get to the bolts that go into the transmission itself.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
carguy47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carguy47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2013 at 5:55AM
I had the same problem. I just used a different trans mount.

Can you post a picture? Maybe we can help from there as well.
You have to build em to drive em!
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-September-2013 at 6:49AM
Sigh... Mine is bad in the wagon, so I guess I have this to look foward to.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2013 at 6:44PM
So I got it today. Just got back from Washington DC this morning and went to work on the Torino this afternoon. Got the car up about 4.5 inches on all tires. I took part of Paul's advice and got the transmission jacked up to the point I was lifting the body. I was prepared to grab a "bigger BFH" (other part of Paul's advice) when I realized that i almost had it. If you have the left (driver) shoved all the way left on the perch and the right off and aft, you can then try and get the RH side of the crossmember onto the perch. It is close. There really is not room, but a little more jacking beyond common sense limits and a good pry bar allowed me to just barely get the RH side of the crossmember onto the RH perch. Once you get there, the rest is of course a breeze.

Bad design, made worse with time and the things that come with it. It is up there now, but that was a close one. The C6 is a big transmission, and Ford should have thought that one out a little more. Earlier Torinos I believe have a smaller crossmember and straight on mount. I assume there was good reason for the design change but it was not the best way to go about it.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply