The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To cut, or not to cut....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To cut, or not to cut....
    Posted: 04-September-2013 at 7:59AM
Wanted to get your opinions on this.  I'll be installing a Retrosound head unit in my '76 Montego wagon.  So, no cutting required in the dash.  I've already located a spare pair of kick panels, and have cut them for some Pioneer speakers.  But, I want to install some speakers in the rear.  There is a stock speaker location on the Driver's side rear plastic panel, right behind the rear seat.  The PO already cut the original 4x6 hole, enlarging it to a 4x10 hole.  I've ordered some 4x10 to 6x9 adapters, with plans to install at least one 6x9 speaker at that location.  In order to install a speaker on the passenger side, I'll have to perform some significant cutting on my mint rear plastic panel.  These panels are not easy to find.  I hate to cut on it.  I was thinking of possibly mounting the 4x10 to 6x9 adapter using some type of double sided tape, to the passenger side.  The tape needs to be strong enough to hold, but not so strong that it will tear up the plastic, if I remove it someday.  Any ideas or opinions?  Should I just go ahead and cut it?  Or can anyone think of another way to mount the other 6x9 speaker?  Any recommendations on an adhesive or double-sided tape that will suit my needs?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2013 at 8:30AM
 Years ago when I worked at a car audio store, I used hot glue for a number of auto sound installation needs, like trim pieces. I used it mostly on fabric/vinyl, but it is an option for interior plastic panels if properly prepped. I don't advise cutting panels unless sound quality is the main(only) concern, even then it's hard to recommend cutting a panel that is so hard to find. Post a pic of what you are working with and/or what you are trying to make better. Todd  

Edited by aquartlow - 04-September-2013 at 8:30AM
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2013 at 8:30AM
If its a wagon, and you don't plan to haul stuff, I would mount two speakers and maybe a sub in a box in the back facing forward, back up against the tailgate  You will get better sound and not cut up your interior.  you can easily move it.  Downside is you will probably have to build a custom box or have someone make if for you.  I would not image it would be too hard.  

Thats what I would do. YMMV.
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2013 at 8:37AM
I'm already going to have to glue mine together again (ripped straight in half), so I'll just keep the scrap piece to glue in again if I choose speakers. 
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2013 at 8:41AM
My '72 has the factory speakers in the top of the rear panels. Would I cut them if they weren't factory? No. Will I add a more modern speakers if it does not affect the appearance? Yes. Am I adding a sub box? You betcha.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
n2fordwagons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2013 at 9:01AM
Thanks for the fast replies! 

robot, the problem with a box is that we use the rear seat every time we take the wagon out.  The kids always wanna ride in the back.  But you got me thinking.  I need to see how much room is between the middle seat and back seat (when it's upright).  I might be able to build a box that will fit between the seats (with the speakers facing up), but that will lay on the floor, when I let the rear seats down.

aqua, so, hot glue will not damage the plastic?  I'm assuming it will peel right off?

I'll post some pics, when I get a chance.
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2013 at 10:49AM
Originally posted by n2fordwagons n2fordwagons wrote:

aqua, so, hot glue will not damage the plastic?  I'm assuming it will peel right off?

I'll post some pics, when I get a chance.

Some interior plastics are better than others when dealing with the heat from hot glue, to be certain of no damage occurring, try the hot glue on the backside of the panel first. The hot glue "should" peel off with no damage or marring of the plastic(don't let the glue gun's tip to touch the panel Ouch, It'll leave a "mark" for sure), but to be sure follow the above suggestion first. Good luck and post pics when/if possible. Todd   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2013 at 10:52AM
The top of the opening, between the center and rear seats, is 4".  So, it's not wide enough for a box that will fit a 6x9 speaker.  Although, the opening gets bigger, as you go down, so I could build a box, where the top of it (and the speakers) will sit about 6" below the tops of the seats.

I just realized that with the 4x10 to 6x9 adapters, they will not cover the butchered hole that the PO left behind.  I may be able to come up with something though, to clean it up.  Will keep you updated...

Here are some pics for reference.
Pics of driver's side rear panel with and without speaker cover.

Pic of passenger side.

Pic of gap between center & rear seats.

Stock photo of 4x10 to 6x9 adapters that I've ordered.

Cut Kick panels compared to originals.  Went with the brown Krylon Fusion paint for now.  Close enough until I can find something that matches better.  Wanting to get the new stereo ready before we go to Pigeon Forge next weekend.

Dan the ranchero man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan the ranchero man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2013 at 12:11PM
I would just cut a 6x9 hole in the panel and be done with it. You will enjoy having the two speaker in back (like most cars these days) and your kiddies will still fit in back with no issues.(do a nice job but don't forget to enjoy the car) These cars are not worth so much money that you can't make simple upgrades. The panel on the other side would be very easy to cut and install your second speaker. I would imagine there is enough room behind the pael to hide and nice amp as well. ( that is what i did on our buick roadmaster wagon and we really like it.)  
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2013 at 12:21PM
Looking at your situation(and not seeing all of the panel), why not fab up some 1/4" plywood panels to fit the top inset contours of the panel? I would go full length, cover in 1/4" foam then upholster in 4 way stretch vinyl, possibly have them upholstered to resemble the seat upholstery stitching. It would somewhat protect the plastic panels from the sun and cover the offending speaker install hack-job the previous owner left you with. Would a couple of down firing 8's or 10's work, ported up-ward or better yet downward firing. Damn, if I had a wagon the neighbors would fricken hate me for sure, so much equipment and so little room(Ranchero).

Edited by aquartlow - 04-September-2013 at 12:30PM

JoeKarasinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeKarasinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2013 at 1:42PM
I agree with Dan. Just cut a hole.
madmaxtorino View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Zombie Killing Training Instructor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmaxtorino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2013 at 3:24PM
Originally posted by JoeKarasinski JoeKarasinski wrote:

I agree with Dan. Just cut a hole.
x3Thumbs Up
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2013 at 1:55AM
Yup, seeing it now, just cut a matching hole and enjoy your Gwar remixes....Wink
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2013 at 3:17AM
Just my 2 cents: My wagon didn't come with rear factory speakers like yours did and neither did my Dad's way back in '73. What my Dad did was he added 6 x 9 speakers that faced each other just below where the factory rear speakers go. Instead of them facing up they faced each other.

In order for me to replicate that, I purchased the 1 1/2 inch speaker spacer rings to bring the speakers out some so the magnet would not touch the quarter panel. I cut out masonite board panels behind the plastic panel to give it strength and sandwiched everything together. 

Back in the 70's apparently the speakers were far thinner than the speakers of today, but it came out looking great, I thought. (Will post pics later)

I am running the Custom Autosound stereo with Kenwood door speakers and Kenwood 6 x 9 rear speakers and the two little gems below. Once I added the subwoofer and amplifier it really changed the whole sound. They are hidden under the front seat so everything looks clean.

Now I enjoy the drives cranking up the tunes.

Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
GTW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2013 at 3:33AM
Mine doesn't have speakers either, but it's only an AM radio.
Griffin
1973 Gran Torino station wagon
1972 Gran Torino 4 Door
1971 Maverick 2 Door
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2013 at 3:57AM
If you click on the link and scroll through the photos you can see what I'm talking about:

Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2fordwagons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2013 at 5:45AM
Originally posted by gpd294 gpd294 wrote:

If you click on the link and scroll through the photos you can see what I'm talking about:

Looks good.  Will have to consider this option, as well. 

And will definitely be installing an Amp & Sub, under the seats as well.  Maybe not this go around.  But eventually.

Thanks! 

Edited by n2fordwagons - 05-September-2013 at 5:46AM
robot9000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robot9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2013 at 7:22AM
Just an FYI, generally you want to try and avoid speakers facing each other. They end up cancelling each other out (Phase cancellation).  Not that facing up is exactly good, but at least you have the ceiling to disperse the sound. 
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-September-2013 at 7:28AM
If you run serious speakers with lots of power and bass in the side covers, the side covers will vibrate. Vibration in these wagons mean that rattles are sure to follow. If they are the least bit brittle, then...

Edited by unlovedford - 05-September-2013 at 7:28AM
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
 Post Reply Post Reply