The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glasspack?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubba_Clide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glasspack?
    Posted: 24-December-2023 at 2:41PM
Has anyone here put glasspacks on a 351 cleveland or Cobra Jet/4v? Im thinking of cutting off the flowmaster super 40's and putting on either cherrybombs or any vintage NOS glasspacks.

Does anybody have experience with glasspacks on these engines? How did they sound? Whats your pick for some loud rowdy mufflers for these cars/engines? Does anyone have a set of NOS performance mufflers with 2.5 inch inlets and outlets?

My car has a hot for teacher-esk cam and headers, im going for a 70's style build and looking for options other than the super 40's, there's nothing wrong with them, just looking at other options

Update: I bought a set of 24 inch long glasspacks and they are on their way. Once I get around to it, ill put them on and compare them. I also plan on recording a video and posting it on youtube to show the difference

Edited by Bubba_Clide - 27-December-2023 at 4:00PM
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2023 at 3:57PM
The Cleveland sounds particularly mean when it's built for high rpm, different than other small blocks.

So avoid mufflers that have a distinctive sound of their own, like the Flowmasters for example. Those will sound the same on any engine.

I'd aim for some type of straight through muffler, one that you like the sound or loudness of. Those will mask the engine's character sound less than chambered mufflers or turbo mufflers. The glass packs are kind of rare these days, I'm not sure if they would be similar to straight through types, but I'd guess that.

If the old school sound is a big goal, I'd definitely begin with full length headers. That will produce the bigger sound a little more than manifolds or quiet mufflers.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Bubba_Clide View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubba_Clide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2023 at 4:10PM
It does have some mystery long tube headers on it. I have no clue what brand they are though. There are pretty much no marking on them. The rest of the exhaust is just 2.5 inch tubing out the back. I think im going to buy a set of glasspacks and put them on. If I like how they sound, ill cut off all the exhaust except the headers and make some sidepipes using the glasspacks
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2023 at 10:34PM
Dynomax Ultraflo's for the win! The last set of glasspacks I used was on a 460 in my old lifted '82 F250 4x4 with headers and dual 2.5 pipes, sounded good while idling, but that was it. Too loud for my liking, especially when on the GO pedal, but of course that was my opinion. IIRC, The glasspacks I bought were red in color and about 30" long, but that was back in '95. An old school exhaust system usually has no H or X pipe in exhaust, but on my Ranchero I do like how the installation of an x-pipe makes/allows my exhaust to sound, especially at WOT(think evil F-1 race car sound---well almost Wink ). Good luck with your muffler choice, there are a TON of them out there.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-December-2023 at 2:50AM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

Dynomax Ultraflo's for the win! The last set of glasspacks I used was on a 460 in my old lifted '82 F250 4x4 with headers and dual 2.5 pipes, sounded good while idling, but that was it. Too loud for my liking, especially when on the GO pedal, but of course that was my opinion. IIRC, The glasspacks I bought were red in color and about 30" long, but that was back in '95. An old school exhaust system usually has no H or X pipe in exhaust, but on my Ranchero I do like how the installation of an x-pipe makes/allows my exhaust to sound, especially at WOT(think evil F-1 race car sound---well almost Wink ). Good luck with your muffler choice, there are a TON of them out there.

Ditto, I have liked the turbo muffler design more than others, the Ultraflo is the popular modern version. My 72 Gran Torino I had Sonic Turbo's on, which was one of the earliest turbo mufflers by the aftermarket.
My first 73 Ranchero had glass packs, on what looked like 2.25" pipes, unfortunately the whole system is still under the truck now. It was bit loud for me then, the old 302 was small, stock, not big, and then it blew two months after I bought the truck.
I have a pair of Borla's that I had briefly on my first Mark VII, those sounded good but the outlets were wrong for the car. There's more room under a Ranchero, I think they should fit okay.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Dino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-December-2023 at 2:39PM
I have Cherry Bombs on my 351w and I like it. It's not too loud and I'm an old man at soon the be 50. 😄
I have Dynomax Ultraflows on a mopar 440 and they sound very nice. More mellow but definitely wake up when you punch it. Glasspacks are cheap. No harm in giving them a try.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2023 at 9:15AM
All I can comment on is while dating my wife, I would park my truck, pointed going down hill. When she would sneak me out of her parent's basement at 2AM, I would hop in my truck, close the door as quiet as possible, coast down 2 blocks. 
Her dad always slept with the window open and my truck firing off at 2-3am always woke him up and got her into trouble after our date nights. 

Totally worth it 24+ years later lol

Now...with that said...glass packs are what your dad, uncles, and grandfather used when they were trying there best to attract a potential mate.
Great for showing off. Not great for cruising down a highway long distances and wanting to retain your hearing.

My own experience with my '84 F150, long tubes and thrust 2.25" glass packs, with a full length exhaust and 26" 4" diameter exhaust tips led to many self induced migraines. 

Did one 5400 mile trip in that truck one year. Never again will I do that!!

Edited by Eliteman76 - 10-February-2024 at 8:31AM
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
78FordLtd2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78FordLtd2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2023 at 12:59PM
Glasspacks = unwanted attention from the local law enforcement agencies.

Best to check out what your local noise by-laws are first before spending the time and money making the switch. Some...not all...officers like to haunt car shows and car meets and hand out tickets for noise violations. A bit of a pain...and they keep looking for you once you get noticed. You don't want to pay any more "taxes" than you already do, lol.

The best I have found are the super mini turbo mufflers. They are louder than stock, have that nice classic 70s burble and will not attract much attention from the "noise police".
fordpower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2023 at 1:30AM
I run just my cats. No matter what I have done my fan belt is always louder than the car when I rev it up.
 Post Reply Post Reply