The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help - 73 Torino Front Bumper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickMorton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help - 73 Torino Front Bumper
    Posted: 18-January-2022 at 9:41AM
Hi All,

Looking for some help here in the UK. My 73 Gran Torino was involved in a skirmish with a Hyundai (not my fault) The Torino came off considerably better than the Hyundai but the accident has seriously damaged what was a perfect front bumper (wrap around style). My insurer has agreed that I can source a repairer myself who will fit a replacement repair the small amount of damage to the front fender and bumper supports. Between myself and the repair company we are trying to source a good condition replacement and thought you guys would assist. My repair company would arrange shipping to a port and onto a container with other parts coming to the UK. If I cannot find a replacement the car is potentially an economic write off but the car was perfect and in great shape and if I can save her I would like to as have done a lot of work to her.

Any suggestions / ideas as to where to source / leads ideally from a dry state. Just a thought has anyone ever put a n earlier model front bumper on a 73 ?

Many thanks all

Edited by NickMorton - 19-January-2022 at 4:38AM
NCMTORINO1973
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2022 at 12:09PM
don’t let them write it off over a simple bumper!!  That’s asinine.

1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2022 at 2:32PM
Originally posted by hogfiddles hogfiddles wrote:

don’t let them write it off over a simple bumper!!  That’s asinine.

Ditto, keep the car alive. I would sell my bumper if it would really save that car from being totaled.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
NickMorton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickMorton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2022 at 12:39AM
Thankyou sir but I guess its economics and parts for this year are a real struggle in the UK.
If you have any leads let me know and I'll keep you all up to speed as to where I end up with the insurance company and the hunt for a bumper.

Nick
NCMTORINO1973
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2022 at 1:36AM
You can try contacting the Bumper Boyz:

They probably won't be cheap, but hopefully you insurance will cover the cost if they have one. You can also check with Desert Valley Auto Parts.  They aren't cheap either, but it looks like they have a few '73 Torinos and '73 Rancheros in stock now.  

Otherwise, keep checking eBay, Craigslist, or hopefully someone hear will be able to source one for you.  

Edited by 72FordGTS - 19-January-2022 at 1:43AM
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2022 at 3:25AM
be prepared to pay in the area of $800-1000 USD just for the shipping alone from any ebay, craigslist or private seller. I got those quotes about 2 years ago on a bumper shipped to the UK, prices have likely gone up as well. good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickMorton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2022 at 4:30AM
Thankyou Vince much appreciated we will explore these companies to see what they have. If you know of any other good reputation breakers maybe not just the dry states as we think we need to widen our search it would be appreciated sir. Might also try Canada as my car was built in Canada so there must be few Torino's there as well. Would be good to see some piccies of your Torino.

Many Thanks
Nick
NCMTORINO1973
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2022 at 5:14AM
The front bumpers won't be that bad for rust if they come from up north. The rear's a whole different matter.

Also note that there are about three versions of the trim for those, no trim, those with bumper guards, plus those with the horizontal rubber strips along the front. Mine is bare, the one linked above had both the guards and the other rubber strips.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
Wayner315 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayner315 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2022 at 5:54AM
Sorry for your luck, just throwing this out there, but any reason not to repair and re-chrome it?
72 Gran Torino formal roof Brougham
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2022 at 5:58AM
Originally posted by Wayner315 Wayner315 wrote:

Sorry for your luck, just throwing this out there, but any reason not to repair and re-chrome it?

That's a very good idea if there is a viable bumper chroming business there. Here it's better than $1000 for most bumpers.
Don
MrSmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrSmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2022 at 2:01PM
Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

Originally posted by Wayner315 Wayner315 wrote:

That's a very good idea if there is a viable bumper chroming business there. Here it's better than $1000 for most bumpers.

I was told there are no chromers in Europe due to the strict eco regulations, its hard to find them here in the USA anymore, Maybe also look into a chrome powder coat type finish as a alternative.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2022 at 2:48PM
That sounds believable. I would also consider both chrome paints, and vinyl wrap products. ALSA makes those, plus tons of other various paints and colors etc.
Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickMorton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2022 at 6:36AM
Hi All,

Been told today by two chroming companies that due to shortage of workers due to Covid / Brexit that there is a 5 - 6mth backlog of chroming.

Also got my quote from Bumper Boyze Cali last night. Any guesses ?

$2,500 for a re chromed bumper

$400.00 for a pair of bumper guards

$100 dollars for the rubber trim

Environment tax $105

and then to top it $1,500 for shipping to UK. 

I'm guessing that they don't have too much business at the moment and thought they'd cash in on a Limey. To say I am disappointed is an understatement Shocked

Anyway gonna keep trying
NCMTORINO1973
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2022 at 7:55AM
Originally posted by NickMorton NickMorton wrote:

Hi All,

Been told today by two chroming companies that due to shortage of workers due to Covid / Brexit that there is a 5 - 6mth backlog of chroming.

Also got my quote from Bumper Boyze Cali last night. Any guesses ?

$2,500 for a re chromed bumper

$400.00 for a pair of bumper guards

$100 dollars for the rubber trim

Environment tax $105

and then to top it $1,500 for shipping to UK. 

I'm guessing that they don't have too much business at the moment and thought they'd cash in on a Limey. To say I am disappointed is an understatement Shocked

Anyway gonna keep trying

yeah i tried calling them for bumpers for my car... several times nobody answered the phone ... eventually i got a message saying they were movingConfused but nobody to answer the call... not good business IMO!!!  similar experience with desert valley auto parts... 6 months went by and they still haven't gone out to look at the bumpers of the cars i gave them their inventory # on!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2022 at 9:12AM
Wow that price is out of this world!  I knew they'd be high, but I think they must have been high when they gave you that quote.  Hopefully DVAP has more reasonable prices because it looks like they have a few '73 Torinos.  But from what CaliforniaJohnny is saying they sound terrible to deal with too!  

Maybe repair is your best bet. At least the car isn't that badly damaged.  You can still drive it until you find a new bumper. it looks like your bumper guards are good too, so they could be kept for a new bumper if they aren't as nice.

There were lots of Torinos sold in Canada too (Canada is pretty much identical to the US car market), but being a harsh climate there weren't many that survived.  I actually found a fairly local '73 GTS parts car, but the seller didn't get back to me when I try to buy some parts.

If you want to see my Torino, here is the thread on it, including the history:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickMorton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2022 at 9:31AM
Absolutely stunning Vince and a credit to you. Obviously a lot of time, patience and hard graft went into the car. I do think if I can get mine repaired I might then look for an earlier model as it seems there are more parts available including repo. I do love mine but and she drives fab but finding parts even simple trim such as rear screen surrounds is tough.

Engines a doddle and plenty of engine spares available over her for the Ford Cleveland’s and the Windsors. Mine has the Windsor in her.
NCMTORINO1973
legend onirot View Drop Down

METAL GOD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legend onirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2022 at 4:33AM
incredible.  when i was restoring my car... bumperboyz were very professional and accomodating.  we also bought a bumper for pauls car at the street rod nationals a couple of years ago when lazarus was damaged.  the costs were not nearly that high.  i think the bumpers were in the $500-600 range.  now they are 2500?  i am speechless
---------------------
malcolm
1973 gran torino sport (formal)... "Stacy Lynn"
1972 gran torino (formal)... "Mackenzie"
1973 gran torino sport (sportroof)... "Leela"
Iain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2022 at 11:13PM
theres a place in StHelens (UK) near me which is called Chrome Illusions. They have a spray on chrome effect product. Very good from what I've heard, but I've never used them. My cousin had ford F150 parts done there, and he was really happy with the results.

Get the bumper rapaired, then get it vinyl wrapped as a temporary fix until chroming proper is less of a wait. There are loads of places able to fix it rather than replacing it.

Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2022 at 2:38PM
That bumper looks like a fairly simple straightening job with a press. Probably have to make a couple forms/shoes to support/guide the bumper. Once it;s straight, evaluate the chrome. Might get by with some wax over any fresh chrome damage until the world gets back to normal. Bumper Boyz being based in the Peoples Republic of Commiefornia means they are screwed. Between Environmental regs and Greasy Nuisance's... I mean Gavin Newsome's Covid Dictatorship they are totally screwed.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
 Post Reply Post Reply