The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with rear coil springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73torinogt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with rear coil springs
    Posted: 27-November-2021 at 10:55AM
I want to replace my rear coil springs on my 73 Torino GT Sport. I ordered a set from Rockauto but they were 2 inches shorter than what I have. Mine are 17" free height and the ones I received were 15". I can not find what the actual height is, but with the tires and rims I have I need the extra height. Any help would be appreciated. 
73TorinoGT
Exodus 73GT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exodus 73GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2021 at 12:05PM
I have a 73 Gran Torino - What really helped me was the Coil Spring Hot Thread in the 72-76 Forum. 

How come you posted on this age section? 

Look at 72-76; I have an extra set of Moog Springs That are discontinued with box included like 803's etc. If you have questions send me a PM. Otherwise reach out to the 72-76 Forum section. The Link is in the Hot Tabs near the top, look for " INFO: The Coil Thread "
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2021 at 3:02PM
free length has nothing to do with where they'll settle when they're installed
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exodus 73GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2021 at 4:27PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

free length has nothing to do with where they'll settle when they're installed

That is exactly correct; some springs and coils may have different ft/lb rebound rate. Coil plasticity after weight is on it; can you expand on your complete set up? What you’re trying to accomplish? 

Engine set up? Weight differential from OE coil rating offset? 
Supplemental differences in bushings? 
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2021 at 5:15PM
Unfortunately,  many moog springs for classic cars are becoming unobtanium. I was looking for the rear springs that were outlined in THE COIL SPRING thread and nearly all of them were out of stock earlier this year.  Well, just a few months ago. Maybe they are back? I haven't looked.
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2021 at 5:39PM
Originally posted by mkshelton mkshelton wrote:

Unfortunately,  many moog springs for classic cars are becoming unobtanium. I was looking for the rear springs that were outlined in THE COIL SPRING thread and nearly all of them were out of stock earlier this year.  Well, just a few months ago. Maybe they are back? I haven't looked.
omg everyone is out of stock on most things Angry guess we dont realize just how much comes from china!!!Cry lets go brandonOuch
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2021 at 3:02AM
Like Rock said the free height has little to do with the actual installed height.  There are many factors at play which determine the actual installed height.  Take a look at the chart on this page and it shows the rear spring specs:

You will see that many of the rear springs vary considerably in free height. but installed height is relatively consistent.  That chart is for Moog spring part numbers, but all aftermarket springs are pretty much identical in specs.  

What brand part number spring did you order?  I will see if I can figure out which Moog spring it cross references to.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Exodus 73GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2021 at 4:50AM
I have manufacturer contacts @ Moog, Mevotech ( Same load rates ), and Lesjofors, QA1, and a few others. If you send me a PM with the Moog interchange you are looking for, I can likely get a manufacturer to drop ship the item to you so you get what you are looking for. 

Firstly, you need to do the hw, to determine what your end goal is. 
What your base is that you're working from. 
& what your preferred method of achieving those goals is.. Alot of variables. But here to help! PM for help.. 
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2021 at 7:19AM
If you really need the room, springs for a 78 Mark V will give you a couple inches.
Moog seems to be out of the spring business. 
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
SeattleJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2021 at 1:37PM
have them made to your spec. I ordered mine to lower two inches from stock and was able to pick spring rate. They had all the stock specs on hand and the firt was spot  on. Can't remeber there name...SD Springs maybe I posted years back in the coil spring thread. Price was reasonable. Jay
 Post Reply Post Reply