The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP - WTF happened to my pickup??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP - WTF happened to my pickup??
    Posted: 01-January-2011 at 11:09AM
So I take my pickup out today to get some lunch, and I start it up in the parking lot after it sat for a few minutes, and I get this cloud of white smoke. It was huge, and I thought the truck was on fire at first.

The smoke is white, it smells like coolant. It is a huge cloud, and it slows down a bit when the truck is running more, when it is sitting there idling, it is awful.

So I think it is obvious that I am getting coolant into the combustion. But where?

I do not see evidence of coolant in the oil. I do not see evidence of oil in the coolant.

What else can I check?

Some facts:

1971 F-250
360 FE engine (poor quality rebuild from Al's Auto Supply - I was not the one that purchased it)
32,000 miles on rebuild

I did several improvements to the truck when I got it:
new intake
new carb
new water pump
new alternator
etc, etc

I have had it since 19,000 miles (so I've put 13,000 miles on it in the last couple years or so)

Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2011 at 11:19AM
Only thing I can think of is the head gasket or intake gasket. Sorry to hear this Scott. If you drove it some and then shut it off it will then build pressure as the heat tries to escape but the motor is no longer running therefore blowing a weak spot in the gasket assuming you must have had one that finally let go.  
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2011 at 11:28AM
Also I found this link interesting since you say it is a cheap low budget rebuild.

Had any cooling issues and do the gaskets currently stick out in the front of the motor?
68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2011 at 11:57AM
Compression test time. That should tell you which head gasket went. Could be a crack in the head or block but my money is on a gasket.  
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2011 at 12:25PM
I'll do a compression check tomorrow and report the results. I know this morning that the engine was not quite warmed up and had a backfire. That happens from time to time (open element air cleaner).
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2011 at 12:59PM
find the clean spark plug and you've found the cylinder that's getting coolant. the hiccup probably blew the head gasket. i'd go with the FelPro Blue gaskets, i'll bet that's not what's in there

be careful cranking it after it sits and blows down the cooling system pressure into the cylinder, you could get lucky and it'll be on the compression stroke and bend the rod, break the crank or chunk the starter off the trans

Edited by Rockatansky - 01-January-2011 at 1:03PM
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2011 at 2:57PM
my money is on a head gasket too.
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2011 at 7:01AM
So I sat and thought about the problem a bit last night.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and thoughts. It was very helpful - there are some really good mechanics on this site, which I am very glad!

While there is no way of knowing which gasket it is (intake or LH head gasket) and hopefully it's not a cracked head, it seems like the prudent thing to do is simply plan to take the heads off and replace all the gaskets and perhaps even take the heads in and have them checked at a machine shop.

I remember when the 73 fastback had a blown head gasket (and subsequently a cracked head), there was actual material gone from the blowby where the gasket had leaked (it was cylinder to cylinder). Perhaps a 1/4" trail from one to another that had left a "trace" (some material removed) on the head and the block.

So, I also figured why I am at it I might as well put a new cam in. The engine is a dog, even after the new distributor, carb, and all the other new stuff I had put on it shortly after I bought it. When I did the manifold originally, I almost changed the cam at that time. I didn't and really regretted it. Having the engine torn down that far... The cost of a cam kit would have only been a few hundred dollars more (after the $1500 or so I probably spent on everything I did that time).

I'll start a new project thread for this one... It's going to need it!
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2011 at 8:43AM
sorry to hear that Scott, hopefully it will be a blown gasket, but with so less mileage, i wonder how it could happen.
i wish i was closer, i could help you to take the thing apart.
If you need anything, let me know Wink
occupant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote occupant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2011 at 8:52AM
360's are known to be "dogs" but I like them that way. The compression is something like 8.4:1 and they put out stupid amounts of torque (like 327lbs-ft at 2400rpm or something) like a diesel. They can pull a house down but they won't drag it on the interstate.

Here's an old but very relevant post on FTE. Drop a 428 crank in it, punch it out to .030 overbore, and grab a dual pattern Crower Beast cam. You'll have 416cid of gumption.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/66069-360-rebuild-up.html

Fordification.com would be another good source to read about other 360 builds if you get too lost at FTE.

08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something
Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2011 at 4:18PM
Watch the oil!
IF water gets in the oil... change it QUICK, antifreeze is cryptonite to bearings!

Almost forgot... Yes I agree, either a head gasket or the intake gasket.

When I get involved in these situations I pull it apart slow and easy looking for the culprit.
ANTICIPATE head gaskets but pull intake and look CLOSE to see if it is just the intake gasket.

AutoZone/O'Reilly's have coolant pressure testers you can rent.
Pull the plugs, attach the pressure tester and see which cylinder spits water/anti-freeze.
ALWAYS do that before you pull it apart... WHY you ask...
So when you are pulling it apart you can find the culprit.
When you know the coolant leak is in cylinder #"X" then you pay CLOSE attention to ALL the possibilities in that area... if no intake gasket leak evident... Head gasket checking is next... nothing evident there... looking in heads for evidence of cracks... you would be able to see the crack pretty easy as the dirty parts will be clean from the steam coming out the crack... if no evidence in the head or even there IS evidence in the head or gaskets... rotate the motor to bring the piston all the way to the bottom of the stroke to check cylinder walls for cracks.

As for "TRACKS" yes they happen!
Fel-Pro are the only gaskets I use and ALWAYS spray them with Ultra Copper spray gasket on both sides!
A little touch of Ultra Blue RTV in the TRACK can prevent getting a head resurfaced.

I KNOW I KNOW... many will disagree but I have NEVER had a comeback or 2nd failure when I use the Ultra Copper/Blue and clean/prep the surface diligently! I have had DEEP tracks, and other problems (such as rust/rot/pitting) on the heads/motor/intakes and other areas, that the ULTRA Copper/Blue and Fel-Pro gaskets has fixed the issue.

Edited by cowboyupdjcarl - 02-January-2011 at 4:33PM
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2011 at 8:14AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

find the clean spark plug and you've found the cylinder that's getting coolant. the hiccup probably blew the head gasket. i'd go with the FelPro Blue gaskets, i'll bet that's not what's in there

be careful cranking it after it sits and blows down the cooling system pressure into the cylinder, you could get lucky and it'll be on the compression stroke and bend the rod, break the crank or chunk the starter off the trans

Rockatansky,

As I am getting prepared to start on the pickup tomorrow morning, I've been thinking about your comment quite a bit. I'm worried about it.

I have to bring the truck into the garage, therefore I must start the engine.

Would this plan make any sense (and would it work):

I know which side it's coming from - LH. If I were to remove each spark plug and if one was really clean (obvious leak cylinder), and then leave the plug out and crank it a bit (to work any trapped coolant out) before actually starting it? Then start it up and bring it in the garage?
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2011 at 8:25AM
that's pretty much all ya gotta do. if you tap the key or solenoid through 2 cranks rev's and blow out the wet cylinder you're clear to start it

it's just the possibility that if a couple or more cylinders fire right off the bat, then the wet cylinder comes up to compression and locks... that could be bad

last blown head gasket like this i heard about filled the intake manifold up to the bottom of the carb !

Edited by Rockatansky - 21-January-2011 at 8:26AM
antlerfiend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antlerfiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2011 at 8:25AM
When I was a boat mechanic I would see several boats that hydraulically lock up every year. On those all I would do is pull the plugs and turn it over to get all of the water out. When a boat engine diesels after you turn it off it can suck water into the cylinders therefore locking it up. Scott you should be able to pull allof the plugs on the one side and blow it out.
Alex
72 GTS (Morgan's Baby)
68 CJ Drag Car Clone
65 Mustang (first car)
77 LTD II (Drag Car)
78 Mustang II V6 4 speed
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2011 at 8:32AM
Cool, thanks guys! I'll do that first thing tomorrow morning before proceeding.
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2011 at 10:45AM
you know what Scott, i'll pick a plane ticket to come work on your engine, and you do the same on mine. The first done will get to go back home and help the other one Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply