The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Classified Section > Parts Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hood Hinge Springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piper62j Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hood Hinge Springs
    Posted: 22-January-2023 at 10:04AM
I've just about given up on hood hinge springs for my 76 Elite.. Anyone have any suggestions for replacements?  I've tried using smaller inner springs, heavier springs off GM cars and the hood still sags down over half way.. Is there a full size Ford, Mercury, Lincoln springs that will work?  My wooden prop board is showing it's age.. 
Compton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Compton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2023 at 10:51AM
Why not just remove the springs and fit gas struts to the hinge…? Solve the problem once and for all and easily replaceable if need be…Chopper will be doing that to mine once it gets to that stage…he reckons it’s the easiest and best fix for all these old car hood hinges…
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2023 at 2:06PM
Originally posted by Compton Compton wrote:

Why not just remove the springs and fit gas struts to the hinge…? Solve the problem once and for all and easily replaceable if need be…Chopper will be doing that to mine once it gets to that stage…he reckons it’s the easiest and best fix for all these old car hood hinges…

That's what I would do if the hinges couldn't be made to work properly any more. I have a pair of NOS hinges to put on, who knows if the old hood is too much for them.

FYI, there was a company 10+ years ago making longer hood struts for some car models, stronger than the original struts. Their struts had SS bodies, and were made to go along the hood edge. If some like that are still available, those would have the best chance to be strong enough for these very heavy steel hoods.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2023 at 8:09AM
I’m not to mo sure that longer support struts are actually gonna help the springs.  Longer supports would allow for a different mounting point for the springs, but it would mean different springs for the new length ( and new tension due to that, as well)
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2023 at 8:36AM
There are countless late model struts made for both hoods and rear hatches. Any of those would have to be mounted far from the original hinges, surely just a supplement device. So adding those might result in leaving off the hood springs, but most likely just helping them. The problem with the struts is access under the hood from the side, near the back of the engine bay. They would attach along the front half of the hood, and also a distance forward from the hinges along the fenders.

That would require some trial and error, I'd say using used struts from a late model vehicle. The typical hood struts are very small in size, the hatch versions are easily double the length and diameter. I would try to use one from a common popular vehicle. The cost for new aftermarket struts are typically $20-$30, I've replaced many on my several 90's Fords.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2023 at 11:14AM
Exactly
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2023 at 12:24PM
You hood hinges may need to be rebuilt.  We have a How-To thread on it:

Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply