The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Ranchero Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hooker or Pertronix long tube headers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdproper73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hooker or Pertronix long tube headers
    Posted: 28-July-2021 at 4:09PM
Hey everyone...
I noticed that Mac's is selling Pertronix long tube(I don't know whether these are Black painted headers) for about the same as none ceramic coated price for Hookers. What are your thoughts on the Pertronix long tube headers?

I have a 1978 Ford Ranchero with a 351W

Jason

Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2021 at 2:42AM
Hey Jason,
  I'm running Hooker headers on my 1976 Gran Torino 351W. For me, these are the best ones I've had so far. Now I'm a fan of full length. Shortly headers are good to. I've had them with no complaints. I'm not familiar with Pertronics. In the end, any header will be better than a stock exhaust manifold. Read up on the manufacturer's specs and take it from there. I hope my great non-answer helps.
Steve M.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2021 at 3:02AM
Pertronics sounds like the old electronic ignition company of the 80's.

For LT headers, the biggest key should be the fit, anything that doesn't fit well is a poor choice. Price usually relates to the fit, but it's no sure thing. The older Fords should have better fitting headers given the larger size of the cars, meaning what headers are available, have a good chance of fitting well.

With newer cars, a high percentage of headers do not fit well. They hang down too low commonly, makers take the liberty of building them that way to help them claim to fit more vehicles. There are so many SBF Windsor heads available, that in late models cars, differences of the heads and cars result in lots of interference issues.

The old cars should have very few of those fitting problems.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2021 at 3:27AM
I couldn't find any mention of headers branded as Pertronix. They likely are rebranded from another maker. Generally sbf headers fit our cars well with the only issue being clearance around the steering box and going under the firewall as the header will sit a tad higher with a 351W due to the higher deck height of the block.

"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2021 at 8:07AM
 if you want short headers that will fit check out the one's i used on my 351w they are good quality and fit real well! scroll down towards the bottom of pg 1 and top of pg 2
 i had to do some minor mods as im using aftermarket mounts stock motor mounts probably won't be an issue...
 http://forum.grantorinosport.org/johns-74-sh-clone-build-thread_topic10024.html
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
 Post Reply Post Reply