The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to clean out the gas tank?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeKarasinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to clean out the gas tank?
    Posted: 31-March-2013 at 3:45AM
My car has been sitting for many years. Oddly it started up very easy with some ether help and ran till I shut off and then a few days later I found the rubber fuel line between the tank and the line rotten and leaking and gas smelled of varnish. Replaced the line and the filter and added 5 gallons of fresh gas and got it running good. couple days later it won't start again.

So, I'm thinking I need to pull the tank and since I'm going to that I have a larger 30 gallon tank to replace it with but I was looking insde of it and it looks like a dryed up lake bed. How would you clean it up? power washer? more gas?
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2013 at 10:22AM
Sounds dumb, but ball bearings/smooth rocks and water will do a good job. Pressure washer will get what it can reach. Rotate and keepbsloshingvthevtank. The hard round objects will break everything loose and then clean it with hot water and a mild detergent. Rinse and dry well and you will be back in business.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
JoeKarasinski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeKarasinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2013 at 11:51AM
Thanks! I'll try it tomorrow
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2013 at 12:29PM
check out this link, http://users.eastlink.ca/~pspencer/nsaeta/electrolysis.html  I used this method to clean the tank of my 75 torino,worked awesome.use washing soda(sodium carbonate) and a battery charger.I was amazed at how well this works,It takes a while but well worth the wait!
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeKarasinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2013 at 1:36AM
This is very interesting. How long did it take?

Looks simple enough. "fill the tank with an electrolyte solution." I assume since its just the bottom of the tank thats the problem I'd only have to fill it half full or even a quarter full? And then hang the positive electrode into the tank and ground the tank itself with the negitive?

Thanks!
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2013 at 1:39AM
The inside top of your tank will have held condensate, so examine it for rust as well.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2013 at 1:54PM
Its not going to cost you any more money to fill the tank as its only water and washing soda.I want to say it probably took a week to clean the inside of my tank.I changed the solution a couple of times during the process.using this method does not remove any of the metal from the tank as most chemical procedures do.I did this over two years ago,so I can't remember but I think the neg lead goes on the outer tank shell and pos lead goes on the anode.you can clean the outside of Items as well,the only difference being which way the pos/neg leads are placed.I had a couple of extra anodes,that I just swapped out as when they get corroded the procedure slows down.You will be freakin amazed as how well this works!
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Robbdtme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Robbdtme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2013 at 5:44PM
You guys scare me. Rinse and have no fuel/fumes in the tank before doing this please... or BOOM.......

Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.
Dcap718 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcap718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2013 at 10:01AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

Sounds dumb, but ball bearings/smooth rocks and water will do a good job. Pressure washer will get what it can reach. Rotate and keepbsloshingvthevtank. The hard round objects will break everything loose and then clean it with hot water and a mild detergent. Rinse and dry well and you will be back in business.

Very good info above..

Basically did the same thing,
I used a small chain(easier retrieval), The Works which is a bathroom cleaner that dissolves rust, water, and a good shop vacuum.  It takes some time but will save you 400 bucks for a new tank! 
1972 GTS
2003 Ford Taurus
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2013 at 10:46AM
luckily for joe, tanks for that bird are cheap.  i got one for mine a couple years ago for a touch over $100.  for that little, i'd buy a new tank instead of screwing around cleaning the old one.
Mike
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2013 at 2:54PM
As I wanted to keep the OEM tank,Because of the low mileage of the car.I've cleaned a 5 gallon snowmobile tank using the rock/chain method.that tank is quite heavy after 5 mins of handling! using electroylsis requires plugging in the charger and let the process do the work.its a no brainer IMO.After cleaning the tank and rinsing with water,I would recommend letting it dry with the heat of the sun.Then pour in a couple of qts of ATF fluid/slosh it around,this will keep the tank from flash rust.drain out the ATF install the tank.fill up with gas,and your ready to go.Thumbs Up
John 75Gran Torino 4spd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeKarasinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2013 at 4:29PM
I'm cleaning this one because it's the 30 gallon tank, The one in the car (which needs cleaning too) is the standard 21 gallons. I think the only you can get new is the smaller one. It'll be nicer to have the bigger one if I can make to Carlisle or Dayton or some of the other shows I'd like to get to.
Midd Vhyrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midd Vhyrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2013 at 8:19AM
If you visit POR 15's website you'll find cleaning and resealing supplies for your tank. A little pricy, but if you want to do a good job I would recommend it. You will want to dispose of the waste properly though, POR 15's products are usually highly toxic.
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2013 at 2:07PM

non toxic/very inexpensive/no need to coat the tank with anything! I can't believe I'm the only one here ever to do this? Electrolysis,NO BRAINER!

John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Midd Vhyrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midd Vhyrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2013 at 2:48PM
Electrolysis is a good way to remove corrosion, I only suggest the POR 15 because it does a fantastic job! Plus, cleaning is good but in the end you might as well re-seal your tank and prolong it's life right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeKarasinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2013 at 1:41AM
I ended up hosing it out with a garden hose on Saturday and it appears clean now. the crap was so dry from sitting all these years it was just dust. But the sending unit is crusty with rust. Still need to get the original tank out of the car, maybe today, I guess then I'll decide what to do.
 Post Reply Post Reply