Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I hate rear gear swaps.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I hate rear gear swaps.
    Posted: 17-January-2006 at 4:51PM

So I started my rear end housing / gear swap on my 78 today. I got the old unit out. Oddly, it went easily. Nothing was really frozen. Turns out the previous (original) owner had this car undercoated. God bless him, if he's still alive!.

I was going to strip it all and POR the car.. but, this has lasted 30 years with no rust issues, so I figured a clean up with a wire brush, and another dose of some undercoating will work fine. I managed to get a 2" deep pile of dirt from the body, and I'm only working on rear wheel wells and the frame/floor section directly under the rear axle.

These 2.47:1 gears in the car really suck right now. The car will not break the tires free.... even in the rain.  . I'm putting in a rear housing I had POR15'd for my Elite some years ago, along with 3.5s with a posi section and rear discs from a Ford Exploder, errr Explorer. It's only 28 spline, but, I think traction will be my problem before breakage anyway, by the time I am done.

I had undercoat in my hair in in places I didn't know I could. 

First pic is "before"

Second pic is "After"

At least there's no rust.

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
 Post Reply Post Reply