The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > General Automotive Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I must have some rare slot mags!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I must have some rare slot mags!
    Posted: 19-February-2023 at 9:54PM
Hi forum. Oh boy….I must have some ultra rare 14” slot mags.
I am looking for push thru center caps that must fit a 3” wheel bore. I cant find any. I bought a set from Ebay, but the flange was 3”! Not the actual diameter. So, yes, they pushed right through!😑
As shipping to Europe is horrendous atm, I dont want to get it wrong again.
Ideas and help appreciated.👍

californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2023 at 1:19AM
 hard to tell from the pic... they kinda look like ET's? i'd have to see a pic of the lug nut and washer by its self to see if they are ET's also ET's will say it on the back of the wheels
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Anderslober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2023 at 3:13AM
Lug nuts are are standard Ford. Washers are offset, due slot mags are unilug…
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2023 at 5:22AM
they're all rare these days, especially real deal vintage Made In USA examples. $2 says nobody knows how many manufacturers made oval slots and how many variations there are. the same maker can and i'm sure has made similar wheels with different center caps over the years. all i can tell you is take accurate measurements and don't buy 'maybes'. some center caps attach with small screws between the lugs, the wheels will be drilled for the screws

as far as the lugs standard Ford would be conical taper seat for steel wheels, what you have there are shanked for alloy mags and as you're aware unilug washers. for future info the length of the shank is a variable if you ever need to replace them, you want the longest shank that will not bottom out before the wheel torques up. the diameter of the barrel is also a factor as the washer must fit over the shank, 1/2"-20 thread
72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2023 at 6:06AM
Center caps? 3inch…..wheel bore….cant find any..
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2023 at 9:42AM
Can you show us any casting or stamped numbers?
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2023 at 10:11AM
Cragar ET wheels had an external cap made of plastic with tension provided by the cap to hold it in.  They were a cheesy fit and were often lost.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2023 at 10:14AM
Here are the same ET wheels. Oval washers with middle hole for gm or maybe Ford was center holed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2023 at 8:40PM
I dont quite understand you fellas…why do you need the casting?
I just need center caps that can go in a 3 inch wheel hole.
I will try to get a photo of the casting, etc..today……I have a spare slot mag that is easy to photograph.
The lug nut washers are round with offset hole.
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2023 at 9:18PM
 you said std ford lug nut? are you using regular conical seat nuts? if they are ET's they have a conical seat insert but use a special nut so they catch enough threads if you use a stock nut it will only catch 2 or 3 threads!!! i bought generic caps they snap in from the outside i dont recall the dia. possible 3" i have an extra wheel i could measure...

JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 12:43AM
I took a look at wheels today. This writing was what was on the wheel👇……no ET stuff…..
ANSEN AUTOMOTIVE, GARDENA  CALIF.   WHEEL LOAD 1560lbs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 12:44AM
Another pic.,…front. Uses round washers with offset hole.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 12:45AM
Back hole measurement…slightly more than 3 inches. Front of hole is 3 inches..so…..what caps fit this?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 12:49AM
These are the lug nuts and washers I am using. They fit nicely and definitely grab more than 2-3 threads..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 1:06AM
THAT is why I was asking about casting info.  Now we all know what they are.
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 1:22AM
Ok..great…but, how would that help with the hole/cap relation?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 1:59AM
Possibly need snap-ons?…..
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 3:52AM
Originally posted by Anderslober Anderslober wrote:

These are the lug nuts and washers I am using. They fit nicely and definitely grab more than 2-3 threads..

The lugnuts have to engage 1/2" worth of threads, at least as much as the stud diameter, which is usually 5-6 threads minimum for the 1/2" x 20 thread pitch.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 4:52AM
I swear…🤠…they engage just fine. My problem is center caps….👍🍻
AUS GTS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUS GTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 6:51AM
We had similar wheels here in Aus. in late 60's-early- 70's although without the off-set stuff... anyway caps were mounted by pushing in from behind the wheel.......
Al
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 7:50AM
Originally posted by AUS GTS AUS GTS wrote:

We had similar wheels here in Aus. in late 60's-early- 70's although without the off-set stuff... anyway caps were mounted by pushing in from behind the wheel.......

That would be ideal, so the cap could not fall off unless it broke. Try to find a cap with an outer diameter smaller than the inner hub size, but very barely larger than the outer hub size.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Greg73Oregon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg73Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 9:35AM
Center Caps: Excalibur Wheel Accessories in Ontario, California has a huge assortment of center caps, lug nuts, washers, etc.  Also, if your wheels are very old, they may have been made by Fenton (no longer in business).

GKF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 11:31AM

Ok..great…but, how would that help with the hole/cap relation?

I wanted to know exactly what rims you DO have
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
Greg73Oregon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg73Oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 1:57PM
FYI: Excalibur Wheel Accessories makes all kinds of sizes, shapes and styles of center caps.  The picture shown is what I used on some Shelby slotted mags I used on a 1970 Ford Maverick
GKF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 3:33PM

Possibly need snap-ons?…..

That is what the lip is for. Even when they were brand new the caps were not a great fit. Measure the hole from the other side and that is what you will need for the size. The caps had a profile to lock in when you snapped them together. Like I said before they often fell off.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 3:49PM
Two styles. The steel ones I do not recall seeing the steel ones that push through the center. Mine had the plastic ones that had ET on a blue (?) sticker.
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 3:51PM

Back hole measurement…slightly more than 3 inches. Front of hole is 3 inches..so…..what caps fit this?
Looking at that picture, the flange width appears to be a 3" outer diameter? Angle does not show ID bore vs outer diameter of stepped area. I am finding a lot of 3.25" / approx. 83mm bore diameter caps as a standard size.

I have found some caps on Ebay with a 3.18" / approx. 81mm bore diameter.

Do you have a caliper to measure the bore and the step bore diameters

For clarification of what I want to confirm, please see the markings below. Hope this helps to clarify data I want to confirm.

Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 3:52PM
I am not sure who manufactured cragars and those could possibly be knockoffs. Who really knows. I would definitely remove the tires and give them a real good scrubbing on the bead edges and the back.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 4:04PM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Looking at that picture, the flange width appears to be a 3" outer diameter? Angle does not show ID bore vs outer diameter of stepped area. I am finding a lot of 3.25" / approx. 83mm bore diameter caps as a standard size.

I have found some caps on Ebay with a 3.18" / approx. 81mm bore diameter.

Do you have a caliper to measure the bore and the step bore diameters

For clarification of what I want to confirm, please see the markings below. Hope this helps to clarify data I want to confirm.

Try another tape measure as well. Just to be certain.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderslober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2023 at 8:45PM
Wasnt ANSEN AUTOMOTIVE a wheel manufacturing company back in the day? I have seen a few Ansen caps listed on Ebay. 
The vendors on Ebay who sell caps have different methods of measuring, which is quite annoying. Some measure the flange diameter…some measure the cap body diameter, but they dont CLARIFY it. 
I communicated with the the vendor I bought the caps from…’caps MUST fit 3 inch wheel bore, etc, etc’….the vendor clearly stated that the 3” inch caps would fit….they didnt…..because they measured flange diameter. 
With my luck, if I buy 3.18 or 3.25 diameter, they will be body diameter and wont fit!😵
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>