The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I need a reputable body shop...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need a reputable body shop...
    Posted: 26-November-2011 at 2:44AM
Like the title says, I am going to need to find a reputable body shop, preferably one that works with classic cars, within the next few days.

This past Wednesday, I was driving on I-85, and a person swerved into my lane and I had to swerve, but because traffic was braking for an accident about 1/2 mile up the road, I had to slam on my brakes. I ended up locking out my brakes, doing about a 270 degree spin, and tagging the divider wall with my passenger rear corner.

I just took the car into my insurance inspection place, and they checked it out, and gave me a loose quote on the cost to get it repaired, but I have to contact the adjuster on Monday for the official estimate.

Thankfully, the frame was not touched. To tell you the truth, its almost like the back corner of the car was smushed flat, but the rest of the car other than the smashed part is perfect (no ripples, or other collateral damage). The rear bumper is toast. The rear valance needs a lot of work on the corner it was hit. The trunk lid needs a bit of straightening. The inside trunk corner needs work. But most of the work is needed on the rear quarter panel. It will need to be cut off behind the rear window, and a new section welded in.

Are there any reputable shops within about 30 minutes of the northeast Atlanta area that you would trust with working on your car?

I don't have my hookup, so I cannot post pictures till I get back home next week.

I swear, next time this happens I am just going to let them hit me, so they will have to foot the entire bill.

Edited by 72BoB - 26-November-2011 at 2:45AM
1972 Torino
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2011 at 9:27AM
hope you have classic car insurance,otherwise your gonna get screwed.It's not like it's a late model car and you can just order all the parts from a dealer.your gonna have to find good used parts and the only thing the make for the quarter is half quarter skin's and only ones of real quality is the Tabco ones's tha cost $350 plus shipping.
can't help on the bodyshop and finding one who knows classic cars and does collision work is not going to be easy as most Collision shops work on modern cars and they don't take the same time to doo all the quality work necessary with a classic car.I know cause I've been in the
Autobody trade for 25 years and it's not easy finding shops that do both and because it is insurance work you will have to use a shop that does collision insurance work and not a private guy like me
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2011 at 1:05PM
Eh, it's a 72 Torino... not a 78 Pinto. He should be fine.... He'll just have to do some parts hunting here, eBay, other forums, etc. As for a shop, I can recommend one or two... In Massachusetts.

He should be able to use anyone he wants.. at least in MA, the owner of the vehicle gets the check when a car is in an accident*. Once he gets his check, he can pocket it if he wants. I pocketed $5K +/- when I wrecked my Olds in '99, and bought the car back.

*Unless the bank still owns the car, then the bank gets the check, and only disperses it to a repair shop.
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
VorbottenO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2011 at 1:06PM
Hey Matt,
Know it makes you sick to your stomach and hope the insurance thing works out.
As Jeff mentioned it can be tough without classic car coverage but sometimes the Gods are smiling.
I have a lot of faith in Danny Sudderuth (Sudderuth Collision) on Hwy 20 about 6 miles east of Cumming in the Sugar Hill area.
He is a one man shop but does collision as well as clissic stuff. Very reasonable and talented in welding.
He does spot painting himself but calls in a great guy for full cars.

Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2011 at 4:07AM
Well, at the suggestion of quite a few people, I ended up taking my car into Fairground Automotive in Marietta. They do a lot of work on classic cars including full restorations, and they are reasonably priced at $50 per hour for restorations.

So, the Allstate appraiser's preliminary estimate was only $1670. I thought it was a good deal, till I saw what he had priced parts out at. He found a bumper for $75 and a rear quarter panel for $20! Too bad the bumper was rusted, and the quarter panel was not impressive at all... So basically, Fairground Auto quoted me $3200, which ironically isn't too far off what I was assuming it was going to cost initially!

I get to hear back today, tomorrow at the latest, to see if Allstate is gonna be cool and accept Fairground's estimate.
1972 Torino
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2011 at 4:09AM
Here are the pics...

1972 Torino
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2011 at 10:07AM
ouch a Tabco quarter is not gonna fix all that and it's hard top find a good unrusted quarter but the rear body panel is sure to have damage behind the bumper as it looks stuffed and the skin's won't fix that problem.not sure how hard it will be to pull and straightethe back corner but gotta keep in mind the the metal on these cars is alot thicker then the beear can cars of today and makes it harder to pull damge out and straighten the metal.

Is that a base model Torino? I know the base model cars had the single thin bodyside molding on the center bodyline

good luck with the repairs and hope the insurance covers it all as I would have guessed around the $3500 range as you gonna need a rechromed bumper and that will be around $350-400 depending on what a core cost but good luck finding one without rust and needing chrome done.
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2011 at 3:06AM
Well, Allstate is sending out another appraiser to the body shop to check out the car... I hope they aren't going to try and screw me... I can add a little bit of money to the pot, but if they are only going to pay the $1600 that was initially appraised I will be totally pissed off...
1972 Torino
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2011 at 3:20AM
Why would he need (or they pay for) a rechrome? his old bumper was far from perfect (no disrespect meant) . Hell, if he needs a 'corner' I could get him one probably. 

Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
GTS73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTS73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2011 at 3:28AM
Well first off, that sucks. Went through something similar with my '73 years ago. Next, and I'm sorry to say, but if that costs anywhere near $1600 you're one lucky SOB. :)

Ten or so years ago I had VERY similar damage to my '73. Spun doughnuts across the highway and slid down the guardrail. Dented the front bumper and and scraped the right side a bit, but the majority of the damage was the rear quarter panel. I opened the trunk and looked down at the right rear tire.

The shop I used was a local guy and highly reputable. I always take my repair work to them. They quoted me $3000... and when they were done, they honored their quote, said they went way over, and would never accept work like that again. :)

To their credit, they did phenomenal work... fabricated an entire right rear quarter panel. You'd never know the difference.

Now granted, my damage was a bit more extensive... but I managed to find a re-chromed front bumper (at extra cost beyond their $3000 quote), and they just needed to refinish and paint the side damage. So my $3000 versus your $1600 quote... I don't see it getting done that cheaply.

Edited by GTS73 - 01-December-2011 at 3:54AM
-Keith

`04 Wrangler Sport
`73 Gran Torino - sold :(
`68 Torino GT Fastback
GTS73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTS73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2011 at 3:49AM
I do know a guy who has a notch back '72 in a field with a straight rear bumper, he'd ask $45 for it. It needs chrome, but it's in good shape for $45. :)

Edited by GTS73 - 01-December-2011 at 3:52AM
-Keith

`04 Wrangler Sport
`73 Gran Torino - sold :(
`68 Torino GT Fastback
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2011 at 7:09AM
Oh man, sorry to see that happened. I'm guessing much closer to $3K than $1,600 in damages. Hope everything works out for the best!
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2011 at 10:59AM
bob,  not to long ago there was a guy on ebay who had complete quater panels  nos.   i dont remember what side but give some time im may be abel to unearth it again.   try the guys at stillwellsobsolete.   they have a nos 74-76 on right now and have alot of nos stuff   if you go tto buy a tabco they are only asking 399 for the nos panel  if they have something for a 72 might be worth the look.
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2011 at 7:53AM
72-73 formal roof is the same quarter not sure if there is any difference for the 74-76 quarter skin cause it is the rear body panel that is different for the taillights are mounted in the rear body panel on those years but not sure if the NOS quarter skins are different.

reason why i mentioned rechromed bumper is they have to put the vehicle back to pre-accident condition and not often can you find a straight bumper that has decent chrome and in the same type of condition as the one that was on the car.you should not have to settle for a rusty arse bumper if the replacement is worse then what was on your car before although being straight the chrome should be as nice as or better then what you had.if it's straight and has alot more rust on it you shouldn't have to accept that because they will search the net for parts and the parts they choose may be in poor condition as they go by price and availability they don't care too much of exact condition when it comes to old cars like that and you shouldn't have to settle for crap>You can refuse to accept the insurance companies quote and just stick to your guns.the worse they can do is drop your coverage and not want to insure it further after repairs unless you pay a bigger premium and that is why they have classic car insurance and your car get appraised at the value and condition it is in prior and if you do improvements and restore any part of te car you can have the car appraised again and have the repair/replacement value of the car raised.

with regular insurance the car gets totaled at 80% 0f the value of the car and what is the blue book on a 72 Gran torino with whatever the original mileage of the odemeter as they don't care if it has a fresh rebuilt engine unless your particular policy has the right coverage for replacement and most people get screwed when using normal insurance companies to insure a classic vehicle to drive it but some classic insurance limits the mileage you can drive in a year so that can also be another drawback.

anyway good luck and hope it all works out for you
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2011 at 9:58AM
Well, I just got a call from Allstate and they are going to cover all of the repairs! Whew... I thought they were going to stick me with most of the extra bill!

The car is at a very reputable body shop up in Atlanta, and they are going to save the quarter panel, valence, and trunk. The only "new" metal they want to add is the new bumper...
1972 Torino
VorbottenO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2011 at 10:10AM
GREAT NEWS!

Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2011 at 11:41AM
wow they are gonna save that quarter? good luck with that cause right in that are of the corner there are many layers and the metal is gonna be tuff to straighten.Can you say "quarter by bondo"

heck my quarter has a dent right in that area and I need to replace the lower half cause of rust and hoping that the rear panel straightens easier once the skin is cut off as the rear panel is thicker then the quarter skin

here is my damage and the skin will repair some but have to straighten the rear body panel.i'm hoping once I cut the quarter skin off I can hammer and dolly the rest back in shape

this is my 73 formal and how that corner is suppose to look like and what it looks like without the bumper and rear valance attached

that corner where the taillight wiring goes through the hole is alot thicker metal and with all those bends it will be hard to reshape and also the back corner of the quarter is gonna be hard to straighten as it's hard to get inside to beat it out.Welding metal pull tabs on the metal sometimes just results in ripping the sheetmetal open and that is propbably what they would have to do to try and pull that to save the quarter as there is no where to grab it with a pulling clamp.
I'm not saying anything about the bodyshops abilities I'm just saying that is a tuff area to pull and straighten especially on old classics where the metal guage is alot thicker then todays cars. I aint saying it can't be done but i'm sure alot of bondo is gonna be in your car when it's done cause that quarter is wrinkled.
Personally if that was my car I would want to replace as much of the metal as possible either with good used or a quarter skin or used corner section.Whay starighten that rear valance they are not impossible to find a good used one as they are very flimsy sheetmetal which makes it harder to reshape and not be like an oil can effect and hold it's shape
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2011 at 12:02PM
Do me a favor and get some photos after they pull and straighten the damage before body filler as I got to see this.
Maybe my magic wand is broke as doing autobody and collision work for 25 years is telling me it's gonna be harder then they may think.It's also alot harder when your trying to save everything and not cutting anything off to gain access.

I was beating a little on my quarter at the corner and the hammer kept bouncing off and not doing much so I gave up as I'm gonna cut the lower quarter skin off and replace it with a Tabco skin because of the rust and body damage as it is dented in front of the wheel also and rusted at the lower bottom and wheel lip so the skin will fix the side and once I get the skin off I can fix the corner metal where the valance bolts to alot easier but I'm sure i'll need my big hammers on that.

your quarter is stuffed at the rear marker light hole too and that is gonna be fun area to reshape the metal there and carve the opening with filler to make it totally smooth.not then it can't be done but very time consuming
Eliteman76 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eliteman76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-December-2011 at 1:44PM
I was going to say...with that hit, sucks about the bumper, but you could lock the frame down, and weld tabs and pull the metal back, with a little rosebud torch and gentle pulling on a frame machine.

The corner spot still sucks though. Will probably need to cut and weld in a end section.
The roll pan can be hammered and dollied back to shape.
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2011 at 1:55AM
I think they were mainly concerned with saving the side of the quarter, not the whole entire thing. Since you don't see anything behind the bumper, I would be a bit less concerned about what they decided to do with it. They seemed to undertand that it is going to be tough, but they are going to put it on the frame machine and pull it out a little bit, then reexamine what the best route to go will be from there.

BTW, this body shop has a good reputation for not just using body filler as a fix-all. They do excellent metalwork supposedly and they will get as much done by hand as they can.
1972 Torino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2011 at 9:53AM
Sounds like you have it in competent hands.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2011 at 8:52AM
Here are pictures of the body work in progress. I think they're doing a heck of a job...  And since they have to paint the entire rear corner I am just going to bite the bullet and respray the entire car.

I think it looks pretty good for what is was...

Edited by 72BoB - 13-December-2011 at 8:58AM
1972 Torino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2011 at 8:55AM
Heck, Yeah! That is coming along nicely.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2011 at 12:40PM
Looking good. I'm glad they are making it right. Now that you decided for an entire car re-paint are ya going back with Black?? Keep the photo progress coming!
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
kversch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2011 at 1:43PM
thats coming along nicely,   you got one hell of a body shop there.
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-December-2011 at 2:50PM
^^what he said^^
Mike
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-December-2011 at 1:46AM
Yeah, I'm going back with black because I don't want to do the jambs or anything else. It isn't a high dollar job... Actually, it's not much more than what Maaco would charge, but since the rest of the car would look horrible if the corner was the only thing painted, this is really the best way to go. Plus, this car is never going to be a show car. I don't mind nicks and chips in the paint, so long as the paint keeps it from rusting!
1972 Torino
72BoB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72BoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2011 at 4:06AM
BTW, when I said it wasn't much more than Maaco paint job, that's because the majority of the cost is being paid by my insurance company. My extra out of pocket expense is no more than I would have spent at Maaco.

Here are progress pictures. The car is about done with basic bodywork and about to go to the spray booth.

My next project is to get this beast in there... (I'm not done with painting it black and the valve covers are being changed out once the engine is in the car...)

Edited by 72BoB - 20-December-2011 at 4:08AM
1972 Torino
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2011 at 4:10AM
I'm curious to see how they finished off "inside" the trunk, looking outwards at the previously damaged area. If they are good, they'll fix those seams as well.
Paul
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2011 at 4:18AM
Any chance the body shop will let yall remove some of that body trim to give it a better finish? It makes a difference plus it'll give ya a chance to polish the trim up off the car. Just my 2 centavos...Wink
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>