The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

INFO: Braking Options….Hydroboost

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhggtsf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2016 at 8:38AM
Originally posted by mlachance112785 mlachance112785 wrote:

I also took the whole brake pedal assembly from the donor car.

You don't happen to have pictures of the two pedal assemblies to see the differences between them?
Joe
BackInBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2016 at 9:37AM
I forgot to add that I was putting that in a 73 Torino.  It had similar elongated holes for the booster on the firewall, but hte one hole was 1/4" off.  I also kept my original pedal brace and had bearings support welded in to hold the new clutch pedal.  

I was thinking the same thing...use the original Lincoln disc brake master cylinder when I convert to disc brakes.  For now I'm using the disc/drum original master.  I'm a little worred about moving the brake pedal booster pin up 5/8"....but I dont have much choice now.  I'm committed and I'm not going to redrill and weld up the firewall to make it line up perfectly.

By any chance does anyone have the pedal ratio from those years Lincolns or the distance from the pivot to the booster pin on the brake pedal?   

I may be fine if I match the lincoln's pedal ratio

PS Nice work!

Edited by BackInBlack - 18-October-2016 at 12:19PM
-John
1973 GTS
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2016 at 10:27AM
Did you use the disc rear end from thr mark 5? Does anyone know the difference between the mark 4 and the mark 5 as far as differences in the rear end housings?calipers?rotors?Etc.???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2016 at 11:07AM
No rear disc brakes yet.   I was thinking of going either Cobra rear disc setup from mustangsteve.com or Wilwood.   I haven't decided.

Edited by BackInBlack - 18-October-2016 at 11:54AM
-John
1973 GTS
mlachance112785 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2016 at 12:42PM
Originally posted by jhggtsf jhggtsf wrote:

You don't happen to have pictures of the two pedal assemblies to see the differences between them?

I might. I remember taking a few, but I don't remember if I saved them or not. I will check. I know for sure they are different though.
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2016 at 1:15PM
John,
 From what I have found, searching both many JY's and internet sites, the 75-79 Mark IV's and V's use the same rotors, calipers and wheel bearings. IIRC, the '72-'79 Lincoln axle housings will bolt right up to '73-'79 intermediates. The '72 Mark V's still had drums and the '73-'74's had different wheel bearings than the later units, 73's had some peculiarities and the 74's were kind of a transitional year for the Mark's brake system. The '72 Mark is/was 5 on 4.5" bolt circle, the later Mark's are 5 on 5" BC. Hope this is helpful.
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2016 at 1:36PM
This is the only good picture I was able to find. This is the Mark V brake pedal.

Also, if someone wants to do the Crown Vic front brakes, I have an extra set of hubs made. For 74-79.

77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
jhggtsf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhggtsf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2016 at 2:16PM

This is the only good picture I was able to find. This is the Mark V brake pedal.

Thanks!
Joe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2016 at 4:57AM

This is helpful.  Thanks.   This looks like the pin is closer to the pivot than the 73 pedal.   Looks like I'll be OK with raising the pin on the brake pedal to align correctly with the booster.
-John
-John
1973 GTS
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2016 at 12:49PM
Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

John,
 From what I have found, searching both many JY's and internet sites, the 75-79 Mark IV's and V's use the same rotors, calipers and wheel bearings. IIRC, the '72-'79 Lincoln axle housings will bolt right up to '73-'79 intermediates. The '72 Mark V's still had drums and the '73-'74's had different wheel bearings than the later units, 73's had some peculiarities and the 74's were kind of a transitional year for the Mark's brake system. The '72 Mark is/was 5 on 4.5" bolt circle, the later Mark's are 5 on 5" BC. Hope this is helpful.
Some/many 73-76 Mark IV/Thunderbirds  use a 9 3/8" rear end instead of a 9". Slightly bigger ring gear, 31 spline axle and tighter tolerances to make the ABS work without brake shudder or breaking R/P gears (backlash issue w/electromechanical antilock).
Many parts will crossfit, Shafts and bearings do fit a 9" if you change side gears to 31 spline (if it's not 72-early 73 "Weirdo" small bearing 9").
There are also some Mark Vs with rear drums. these were small lug pattern, small front rotor cars. Don't think they were hydroboost either. Only seen 2, and they were both 400 engine cars, don't remember years. "Joe'd" one for parts for a friend's Mark Vin the late 90s, and the other was bought/sold inside of a week probably 30+ years ago, with a "Bad tranny" that turned out to be a broken vacuum tee off the engine.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2016 at 1:21PM
Originally posted by Big Bird Big Bird wrote:

Originally posted by aquartlow aquartlow wrote:

John,
Some/many 73-76 Mark IV/Thunderbirds  use a 9 3/8" rear end instead of a 9". Slightly bigger ring gear, 31 spline axle and tighter tolerances to make the ABS work without brake shudder or breaking R/P gears (backlash issue w/electromechanical antilock).
Many parts will crossfit, Shafts and bearings do fit a 9" if you change side gears to 31 spline (if it's not 72-early 73 "Weirdo" small bearing 9").
There are also some Mark Vs with rear drums. these were small lug pattern, small front rotor cars. Don't think they were hydroboost either. Only seen 2, and they were both 400 engine cars, don't remember years. "Joe'd" one for parts for a friend's Mark Vin the late 90s, and the other was bought/sold inside of a week probably 30+ years ago, with a "Bad tranny" that turned out to be a broken vacuum tee off the engine.

I have a 9 3/8" axle assembly from a '72 Lincoln Mark IV in my Ranchero, so I have done a ton of research on these somewhat rare/unwanted units.  Mine actually is a small bearing housing that had 11" drums/backing plates(sold them in a hurry since they bolt right up to small bearing 8-9" housings, but allow larger rear drum brakes than the previous 10" parts).
  The last year these were "supposedly" installed was '72(some, I guess could be a '73 model year), many erroneous articles and/or internet info say that these could be found under mid to late 70's Ford/Lincoln/Mercury's. I have yet to find any factory installed after '72 and I have scoured many, many a junkyard, but of course that does not mean they didn't or don't exist.
  This info below dates factory Ford differentials back to the early 60's to just before 2K, I have found this info to be VERY trustworthy(I verified 4 different tag numbers for 9" assemblies and they all were spot on, identification-wise). http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford01.htm
 I found I can never say never or always when talking Ford parts and/or designations, so I am not arguing the point whether or not these were installed in anything later than a '72 model year F/L/M vehicle, but seeing is believing.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2016 at 2:07PM
well the reason i asked about the mark 5's is i may have located one in a semi-local yard, got a line on possibly a 76 mark 4 rearend...third hand info but i should know more after 8pm tonight the friend of a friend is going to contact the person that allegedly has it---  story is it's at an elderly lady's place near the coast her late husband had it all rebuilt but never got it put back in the car before he passed.
 so if that don't work out i'll look into the mark 5 one if it's still there, just want to do my homework so i don't buy something that isn't going to work!!! done that too many times in my life Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2016 at 2:12PM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

well the reason i asked about the mark 5's is i may have located one in a semi-local yard, got a line on possibly a 76 mark 4 rearend...third hand info but i should know more after 8pm tonight the friend of a friend is going to contact the person that allegedly has it---  story is it's at an elderly lady's place near the coast her late husband had it all rebuilt but never got it put back in the car before he passed.
 so if that don't work out i'll look into the mark 5 one if it's still there, just want to do my homework so i don't buy something that isn't going to work!!! done that too many times in my life Confused

If you score the Lincoln and you are gonna part it out I got first "dibs" on the evaporator core, just found I have a leak in mine Ouch, R12 no less AngryAngryAngryAngry.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2016 at 3:02PM
i'm not wanting to buy the whole car! i was told the rearend was out--never got put back in! hopefully i'll know more in about an hourBig smile
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2016 at 3:14PM

i'm not wanting to buy the whole car! i was told the rearend was out--never got put back in! hopefully i'll know more in about an hourBig smile

Good luck, hope you score the axle assembly!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlachance112785 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2016 at 6:51PM
Originally posted by BackInBlack BackInBlack wrote:

This is helpful.  Thanks.   This looks like the pin is closer to the pivot than the 73 pedal.   Looks like I'll be OK with raising the pin on the brake pedal to align correctly with the booster.
-John

I will try to remember to post pictures of my 77 pedal and hanger for reference. 
77 Cougar XR7 460/C6
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2016 at 5:40PM
Well I talk to the friend of a friend he thought that it was maybe the guy said it was a Versailles not a mark 4 or 5 still couldn't get ahold of the lady that owned it

so today I called that wrecking yard that 77 Mark 5 still have the rear end they looked said it is a disc brake rear end so that should be a 28 spline 9-inch that should fit right in my car correct???
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2016 at 12:20AM
John,
 The Mark V axle housing/assembly should bolt right in with no mods(pinion yoke may need changing to match your driveshaft), not sure if there is a slight overall width difference between the Mark V and your original axle assembly though. The 77 assembly will have 28 spline axles from the factory and possibly a Trac-lok (2 or 4 pin). If you can have them read you the differential tag over the phone, go here http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford01.htm
to find out the year and vehicle installed, ratio, ring gear size, open/limited slip and axle spline count, may save you a trip if it doesn't have the needed internals.

Edited by aquartlow - 21-October-2016 at 12:20AM

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2016 at 3:32AM
Yeah I want to measure it first the width but hey if it's got a positrac I'm going to use mine out of my car since it's all fresh maybe I can resell that part if it's got that I really only need the housing and the axles I'll buy all the other stuff new
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2016 at 12:49PM
Should bolt right up, and your pumpkin should bolt right in.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2016 at 10:54PM
I've fixed the pedal pin height so now it aligns with the booster and doesn't bind.   Now I've noticed that the master cylinder push rod is different than the vacuum booster push rod.

Does anyone have pics of the master cylinder push rod or know where I can get a replacement for use with the mark5 hydroboost?

I think its a threaded rod that looks something like this...
http://www.tallonhydraulics.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=42_14&products_id=54

Edited by BackInBlack - 05-November-2016 at 10:56PM
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2016 at 11:47PM
Correction...not threaded rod....there is a cup in the hydroboost like the one found in the master cylinder.   I measured combined length of 3.6in. So 3.5in rod. I guess I'll have to make it....can't seem find an easy replacement.
-John
1973 GTS
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 2:49AM
IIRC, the pushrod for the Mark V/75-76 T-bird hydroboost units(I believe like almost every other HB units) have a female socket that allows vertical/horizontal movement, but the pushrod is pressed/swaged into this socket and won't (or rather shouldn't fall out) but still allow this 360 degree movement . I actually had to cut this rod on my Astro van HB unit in order to disassemble/rebuild/reseal it since it will not pull out of the socket(with "reasonable" force). Could you post a pic of this socket, it may reveal other concerns.  

Edited by aquartlow - 06-November-2016 at 2:50AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 7:10AM
This is the rod that sits between the vacuum booster and the master cylinder.

This is the piston looking into the end of teh hyrdoboost booster where the rod seats.

This is the piston cup where the rod pushes the piston in the master cylinder

I was looking for a coupler and put two bolts to make an adjustable rod.   Ide rather get the correct part for the job with machined ball ends.   Can'ts seem to find an aftermarket part that would work.   Any help is greatly appreciated.

Everytime i get 1 step away from finishing these odd ball Ford stuff crops up.   

-John
1973 GTS
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 7:26AM
The end of that rod with the ball end adjusts, hold the splined part and turn the hex ball. The master cylinders should be the same depth between the torino vacuum and the lincoln HB the disc/disc master just has a bigger dia. Bore
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 7:33AM
John,
 Excuse my error, I assumed you were talking about the input rod to the brake pedal Embarrassed

Here is a pic of my disassembled Astro van HB unit, you are in need of the "star" centering washer/spacer and the HB/MC pushrod located just above center in this pic......correct? If you have a micrometer(or at least an accurate measuring tool) measure your HB unit's bore, if it matches my extra Astro van HB unit's centering washer, I'll send it to you(along with the pushrod you can modify for length).

Again, sorry for my earlier reply. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 1:28PM
Np...the bore diameter of the mark5 hydroboost is 1.5 inches (measured wit digital caliper) and the inside diameter of the cup in the piston is approx 1 inch. THE pic of the rod in the previous post is what came out of the old vacuum booster.   I thought it would work, until I started putting It all together.

Edited by BackInBlack - 06-November-2016 at 1:34PM
-John
1973 GTS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 1:49PM

The end of that rod with the ball end adjusts, hold the splined part and turn the hex ball. The master cylinders should be the same depth between the torino vacuum and the lincoln HB the disc/disc master just has a bigger dia. Bore

That's what I thought till I started putting it together. ....they are different. Nweds a ball end on both ends and looks like there is a special washer that keeps it centered while you assemble it.
-John
1973 GTS
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 2:13PM
ok, i misunderstood what you had going on. but i used a lincoln mark IV master on my vacuum booster, and the depth was identical between the two masters.
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackInBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2016 at 2:39PM
Yeah its not the master cylinder....
It's one of differences between the hydroboost vs the vacuum booster. Most people pulled all the parts from a bone yard car.   I'm piecing it together...no good salvage yards near me.   I've tried. Typically have 1990s and newer.
-John
1973 GTS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>