The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Its gonna be my daily driver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Its gonna be my daily driver
    Posted: 30-October-2010 at 8:19AM
I know this is a 77 and I'm not in the right section, but everything else I have is 72-74 so I'm usually here.  If it needs to be moved thats ok with me.

Some of you may remember I bought a 53K mile 77 LTD II for my wife.  Well unfortunately while she loved the green 4 door with the white vinyl top she hated the brown/brown one I bought without showing it to her first.  Long story short it wasn't going to work out as her cruiser.  So the car sat in my driveway all summer.  I didn't look like I was going to be able to sell it so I decided hell with it I'm gonna drive it everyday and sell my 98 Grand Marquis driver.  So I replaced a couple of things to make it reliable.

I replaced
All belts, hoses, and battery cables.  I took off the originals.
Repacked wheel bearings, replaced brake pads, and rebuilt the calipers.( new caliper $20 rebuild kit $3.50)
Replaced original water pump.  I figured if I didn't do it now I'd be doing it when it was -11 outside
Replace the heater core.  I want the heat to melt me.
I put a decent stereo it and because it sat in a barn forever mice got into it.  The car was gutted to clean Everything.  While everything was out I ran the wires to put a decent anp setup in the trunk for the future.  I gotta have my tunes.

I still need to replace the fuel pump(looks original) and service the trans.

This is what it looked like when we got it

This is what I tried to talk the wife into doing with it.

This is what it ended up as

Tom
1972 Gran Torino Sport 4Spd
1974 Montego wagon "GT" with GT hood, correct buckets
seats, console, and floor shift
2013 Focus 5 speed- Daily driver
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2010 at 9:13AM
those white with red stripe LTD II are nice,knew a guy in Jersey back in 87 that sold me parts for my 73 Torino had one like that,he had a S&H Torino also,the LTD II was his Daily Driver
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2010 at 12:35PM
Love the wheels.
There is a green Coupe in this area with 48k I'm considering. Don't see too many cars today with green interiors.

Chuck

Edited by lynchster - 30-October-2010 at 12:37PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2010 at 1:08PM
Thanks.  A local body guy said he help me paint it with the strip.  He doesn't want to change the color, but he said he'd weld the qtr. windows and paint the entire car it original color and add the stripe on the cheap if I did all the grunt work.  I just can't go weeks without it.  Unfortunately I gotta get to work.

I love the wheels on the car.  They look great clean with center caps, but dirty with no caps fits the car better.  At least right now.  Rims are 15 x 8.5.  Tires are 235/60 up front 275/60s in the rears.  I've had the wheels for close to 20 years. I have put them on just about all the 70s cars I've owned and IMHO have looked great on every car I've put them on.

My first Torino was a 73 4 door broham that was green/green with a white vinyl top.  I loved that car.  I wish this was a green/green.

Edited to make sense

Edited by 72sport - 30-October-2010 at 1:28PM
Tom
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2010 at 1:40PM
who cares about the jams,paint it white anyway with the orange stripe looks bad arse.Not a show car and you only see when door,trunk & hood open but driving down the road it will look kewl.I was gonna say you can't do the strip because of yours has sail panel window,but if he welds it shut would fix outside but then you have the interier issue
72sport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2010 at 1:44PM
Originally posted by 73 ProStreetTorino 73 ProStreetTorino wrote:

who cares about the jams,paint it white anyway with the orange stripe looks bad arse.Not a show car and you only see when door,trunk & hood open but driving down the road it will look kewl.I was gonna say you can't do the strip because of yours has sail panel window,but if he welds it shut would fix outside but then you have the interier issue

I have the correct interior panels off a base model LTD II four door.

I agree white would be better, but it probably won't get painted unless someone wants to donate a DD while it gets painted.
Tom
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2010 at 2:13AM
Sweet deal, these make great drivers. 

I was going to keep my sail window and do this on my car.

I have a vinyl top and the roof isn't useable without it or the side glass. 

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
 Post Reply Post Reply