The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Loss of power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninety4ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loss of power
    Posted: 03-May-2009 at 7:03AM
I have an intermittent loss of power problem.  This vehicle sat for quite a while, but I got it running.  A 1979 Ranchero GT 351 W? Auto,Air.  It will run for a couple of miles and stop.  Items replaced to date are: coil,control module, used distributor, fuel pump, fuel filter, strainer in fuel tank.  I've raised the float level, ran the car with a fuel pressure gage, verified there are no exhaust restrictions.  Help
interceptor460 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interceptor460 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2009 at 9:25AM
When it stops check to see if you have sprark. If no try to repostion the control module and put a ground to the engine block. Some times the module heats up  or exposed to heat it could cause this. Remember I cannot be 100% certain only if I was there to see the problem myself. Also check for loose ,cracked connectors or electric wires that are starting to cut  away from the connectors and may be showing it's strands. This will allow current to flow but not the amperage needed.
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2009 at 2:09PM
My bet is on the module. We used to carry these in our service truck when I was at the dealer years ago. I also carried a spare in my '79 F150
Saved me once when I was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy up north.

Treat this just like the newer TFI module. Always carry a spare!!
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
ninety4ss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninety4ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2009 at 10:10AM
The module was new, the coil was new.  The car sputters, then a loss of power. There seems to be something in the primary circuit that is failing or overheating.  Whatever I do, by the next day it will run again for a few more miles.   
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2009 at 10:25AM
Sputtering almost sounds like fuel..  Where did you tap into the line for the fuel gauge?  Did you check the pressure when it dies?  Can you try running it harder to see if it dies quicker?  Does the weather change the amount of time you get before shutting off?  (My 351M used to get serious vapor lock occasionally, it also used to boil the fuel in the carb now and again)

Other than that, I'd look at the power to the coil and other ignition parts as maybe a bad connection somewhere else is overheating and opening up.

How long before it restarts?   Have you checked the temp on the module when it quits?   I have seen them run hot enough to burn your hand. 

Jim
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
ninety4ss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninety4ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2009 at 1:11PM
Thanks for the input.  The fuel pressure stays a constant 4-5 lbs. Every electrical part has been replaced with new.  Someone told me it might be clogged cat converters.  The exhaust is free flowing.  I have not tried to restart it after towing home.  The next day it will start, but will fail again after a few miles.  Is there a relay or something in the primary circuit?  Do these things have a history of the ignition switch heating up?  It seems to be electrical because the tach goes to 0 immediately. I've got to admit aql my other car are Chevys.  Bob
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2009 at 3:48PM
Is this the factory tach?  I always try to remove all non-essentials until it is solid connections..  (like make sure the coil only has power hookups)

Another problem I had was the plug for the module laying on the power steering lines, when they would flex, they'd pull the plug just enough to shut the car off.

Stay close to home and bring some ether and some tools and when it dies, give it ether and see if it tries, if it doesn't, pull a plug and check spark, if no spark, check for power at the coil.

Jim

1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2009 at 4:33PM
Slightly off topic but not by much. Back when I was a teenager (that hurts) a friend of mine had a Dart Sport that used to shut off every time he hit a bump in the road. Turned out to be the ballast resistor that Mopar mounted on the firewall.

Chuck
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
ninety4ss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninety4ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2009 at 1:50PM
Thanks to all who gave input to my problem.  I corrected the condition by replacing the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump.  There was a build up of flaking rust laying in the fuel line, again thanks to all who sent feedback to my problem.  Bob
twintornados View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twintornados Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2009 at 3:46AM
Chuck,
   You think that hurts?? I remember an episode of "Emergency!" with Randolf Mantooth and Kevin Tighe where the Dodge truck they used in the show had exactly that problem....geez, I am gettin' old.
Sold the Elite so now the hunt is on for my next "toy"...
 Post Reply Post Reply