The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manual to Automatic Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manual to Automatic Transmission
    Posted: 08-August-2017 at 11:27AM
Not an uncommon swap but I've never done it. I found another coyote this weekend and couldn't pass on the price. The guy I got it from puts turbos on engines for Ford then ships them back. It's an old but still new on the pallet 2013, sealed 440 HP NMRA racing engine. I enjoy watching drag racing but it's not something that has ever caught my interest to become involved personally so I don't mind destroying its inherent value.

I plan on putting it in the 99, 150 I just picked up and it's a manual. I have a 4R70W transmission sitting here that will fit the coyote. I'm think I would like to keep the shifter on the floor so I don't have to mess with the steering column. Summit has a number of Lokar shifters for doing this but there's the option of cable or direct action. Anyone have any experience with doing this? I can see good and bad with each design. Any opinions or advice?
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2017 at 11:36AM
You will need a controller for the trans as the engine computer isn't for an automatic. Coyotes didn't use the 4R70W, so I don't think there's a swappable computer. Baumann makes a good stand-alone. Cable shifters are easier and more forgiving, but either is do-able. Clutch pedal can come out and the interlock from the clutch can be wired in as a neutral safety switch on the starter.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2017 at 12:37PM
Big Bird,

You raise questions I had also although I didn't know the 4R70W never came with the coyote. I called and talked to Ford Performance and was told if the transmission came from a 4.6 Mustang GT, the 2015-17 control pack for automatics will work. I have my doubts too since the pack states it's for a 6R80. He assured me it would work with '13 engine and 4R70W. The 6R80 is a 6 speed auto so I have my doubts also, still. Also on the 4R70W I have there is a controller separate from ECU. I can't verify if this is typical or standard. It is still on the engine. They're from a 97 Mustang GT. Using the CPP switch is good info, thanks. Pulling the pedal isn't a problem. The accelerator pedal has to come out either way and I think they are all together anyway. Thanks for the Baumann information. It may come in handy with the doubts building up.

I was all set to send the HEC off to Dakota Digital tomorrow but I think I'll hold off until I'm more confident on this. I prefer solving problems rather then creating more.

About the shifter, I assumed the cable advantage was it wouldn't be a fussy. Is that the advantage?

Thanks Big Bird.
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2017 at 2:13PM
4R70W died with the 2005ish F150 heritage and 3.8 Essex engine in the Mustang.
Cables are more tolerant of misalignment and tolerance stacking. Cables are better if the shifter is floorboard mounted. If you have the shifter directly mounted to the trans, a mechanical rod/shaft-operated shifter can be more precise.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
Don V. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don V. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2017 at 1:35AM
I know they went to a 75 from the 70 but that's where my knowledge ends. Sean Hyland Motorsports offers a complete coyote conversion for the Fox body mustang with the 4R70W, but the control pack in the kit from Ford, M-6017-A504V, is no longer offered. I don't know what that means for the current automatic control pack. Actually I was more surprised that a coyote fit in to a Fox Body.
 Post Reply Post Reply