The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Max Cam Lift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Max Cam Lift
    Posted: 08-March-2015 at 4:44PM
Meeting with the machinist this week. Anyone know what the max lift is for a pedestal mounted roller rocker? I'm looking to see at what point I've got to go with setting the heads up for rocker studs.

Thanks
Chuck

Edited by lynchster - 09-March-2015 at 3:17PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 1:10PM
do you mean Roller Rocker ?

a roller rocker should have no internal limit to how far it can move, just the external limits of the rocker body against the pedestal itself and the adjuster nut in the rocker body slot

usually the lift limit occurs at the top of the valve guide and the spring retainer, or the spring itself at it's bind limit + safety clearance

the pedestal bolt presents another limit in the amount of spring it can handle. I forget which manufacturer it is but there's one out there that says with their high quality pedestal bolt their system can handle significantly more spring pressure than with a stock bolt. I also forget the amount of pressure they approve but it's a ways past Wow! with a bolt down rocker   

so you got the pedestal bolt strength vs the valve guide/retainer / coil bind clearances

72 GT Ute

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2015 at 3:16PM
That's exactly what I meant Rock. I did that earlier in a conversation today too.
Anyhow........I thought I read somewhere it was around .550 lift before you started running into clearance issues and had to go with machining the heads for stud mounted rockers. 
There again is the 5/16" bolt versus the 7/16" stud.  

Edited by lynchster - 09-March-2015 at 3:19PM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2015 at 2:55PM
I think the .550" figure I for stock spring & retainer issues, not the rocker itself
plus if you're using a bolt down roller rocker you have no fulcrum slot to cause a lift limit in the rocker 

do you have any cams in mind at this point?

it becomes a juggling act of available spring with enough coil bind clearance vs not too much pressure for the 5/16 bolt, within the limit of the stock valve length because of the bolt down rocker

this may be the mob that does the upgraded pressure bolt-down roller rocker set up

I'd really give them a call for their advice on what's possible & not within the pedestal limits

much good info in the Old Cleveland forum, now only used as archive. put a search term in like 5/16 rocker bolt & try others... see what comes up http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/
72 GT Ute

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2015 at 4:09PM
You're a wealth of information Rock.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2015 at 4:16PM
it's a curse... thanks
72 GT Ute

lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2015 at 10:19AM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

do you have any cams in mind at this point?

I've had parts dropped off all this week but I haven't purchased the cam set yet. I am considering a Howard Cams grind at the moment.

Adv. Dur.     @ .050         Lift     LSA     ICL
                    I    E          I     E        I     E  
230245-10      278 282         225 229      .576 .600   112       108

I'm a little concerned about the .600 lift on the exhaust using un-sleeved lifter bores. They also have the same grind with a 110 LSA but I'm hoping to reign in the DCR a bit.

Edited by lynchster - 24-April-2015 at 10:20AM
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
 Post Reply Post Reply