The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Small Block Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mexican 302

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kversch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mexican 302
    Posted: 04-November-2010 at 11:18AM
so the 73 4door we parted out had a 302 in it,   the guy told me it was a 69 302,  he said its supose to be a Mexican boss.    I started doing a little diging around and am slowing finding there was such a thing.Clap  didnt know that before.    its also called a mexican 302 in some of the things I have read.

" The block was a high-strength, higher nickel content design made in Mexico. "Hecho en Mexico" casting marks are present in the lifter valley, and its main strength was the appearance of much larger and stronger two-bolt main bearing caps on the engine's bottom end"

"This engine block is considered the strongest production 302 block other than the Boss 302 and the Trans Am 302. It is considered to be on par and equal in strength to the K-code HP 289 block. The heavy duty Mexican 302 block was produced for several more years, and even showed up on Ford trucks and vans throughout the late 1970s and early 1980s."(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Windsor_engine)

so does anyone know anything about these engines?     my hope for this winter is to get this engine at least cleaned up and running maybe even painted up nice  to go in to the black 73 GTS.  I would like to build it up nice and make it work    until i can come up with a 351C or a 429/460 bb to go in it.
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/
Blueoval76 View Drop Down
Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueoval76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2010 at 12:25PM
Yes I had one in my 66 Ranchero. I found out it has a little taller deck thicker main caps and thicker stronger all around motor. It does also have higher nickle content and is equiv to the 289 HI-PO. I know a circle track racer that was running one at 7500rpm+ and to me that is impressive for a 302 in that environment. It is a great motor and highly sought after because its stronger on a budget. Build the snot out of it!! LOL It will take alot more abuse than a standard 302 will. Here is a blurry pic of my valley...

There is also supposed to be something thicker by where I have the ground hooked up area...

68 Galaxie Wagon 390/auto/2.70
03 Bonneville some mods
 Post Reply Post Reply