The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My '77 XR7

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My '77 XR7
    Posted: 31-October-2009 at 12:24AM

Hello all!

I'm new here, but very glad to have found a forum for the seemingly much-unloved '77-'79 Ford mid-sizers!

I recently bought a '77 Cougar XR7. It is quite likely the most basic XR7 that you will ever find: rear defroster, side mouldings, AM/FM, right-hand remote mirror, deluxe bumper group, and that's about it for options: no power windows or locks, 302, base wheel covers, no A/C, no leather, no buckets, etc. It really looks like this one was bought as a way for a dealership to advertise a low price LOL! It was built in May '77, so it is quite a late one.

It is finished in its original paint colour of light jade green, and features original exterior and interior trim (in dark jade). Gotta love the green "picnic"-style cloth in that dark green vinyl! The smell of that when it gets hot brings back many childhood memories :).

I remember seeing this car a few years ago at a local cruise night, and even then really wanted it (but at the time didn't have any room). It reminded me a lot of my uncle's car: he had a '78 in the same colour, but loaded to the hilt (351, sunroof, leather, full instrumentation, etc.). Back when I first saw it, my '77 was still wearing its original paint that was very badly worn on the roof and hood, so I was happy to find it with a fresh coat (and a very well done paintjob at that... at least above the trim).

The car does need some work: I have already restored and re-installed the "XR7" trunk badge, which makes a world of difference in terms of visual impact from the rear! I've redone the parcel shelf, and will be tackling the interior door trim in the near future (that lame chrome tape stuff is all peeling off). As some of you may have seen on my earlier post, I'm also having some carb issues, so hopefully I can get those straightened out :).

I love the base wheelcovers because you rarely see them, and except for the logo in the centre, they're the same as my mom's old '85 Marquis' covers. Heck, Ford used them from '71 on, I believe! Talk about getting good mileage out of a design :).

Anyway, I'm very happy to be here and I look forward to learning more about you guys and your cars!

Lee (aka Turbo301)

P.S. I absolutely love the manual air vents! They flow so much better than I ever thought they could, and so much better than the typical "vent" setting on a car with A/C (new or old).

Classicfitness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Classicfitness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2009 at 1:01AM
Wow, I love your car.  The color is breathtaking and the whole car just seems new.  About the trunk badge, did you install a new one or you restored the original?  

'72 GTS 351-4b Gold Glow

'75 Elite 400 Polar White

My car blog: www.fordtorino72.blogspot.com

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2009 at 2:22AM
WOW!!!
That thing looks incredible!!
GREAT FIND AND BUY!!!
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2009 at 2:40AM
Damn. Nice Cougar! Welcome!

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2009 at 4:09AM
Thanks, guys. It's in very nice shape, especially the interior, although it's not quite as nice as the pictures would suggest LOL! Still, I thought it was a pretty good deal for $2600, all certified, with an oil change, and new catalytic converter. I read on the Net that the light jade green is a rare colour, but it seemed to me to be common enough back in the day. I've always been partial to light greens and blues, so the colour was definitely a selling point to me :).

The thing I really need for it now are window felts. NO ONE seems to carry those anymore!

Classicfitness, in regards to your question: yes, I restored the original badge. The plastic was there for it, but the paint on the inside of it was badly faded. It actually fell off the car the day I bought it! No worries, that just saved me a step :). Here's how I refinished it:

1.) Covered it with oven cleaner and left it in a sealed Tupperwear tub for 2 days. The rest of the paint just flaked right off and I had a brand new-looking clear piece of plastic.

2.) Used fine sand paper (4000 to 8000 grits) to polish the non-painted side, and then scratch remover to buff it to a perfectly smooth finish. Works great on model cars, too!

3.) Mixed up some pink metallic pigment into some red acrylic Model Master paint, to give it a bit of a shimmer, and painted the red portion (note that one could do automotive badges like this in any colour combo, say to match one's car? That'd be a very cool custom touch :) )

4.) Painted the black with Model Master black

5.) Used chrome spray paint to cover the entire back, and thus fill in the "X R" and the outline of the "7". In retrospect, I should have used Bare Metal Foil to get a truly chrome-like appearance, but the spray paint at least makes it silver.

6.) Installed it with Goop-like adhesive

1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2009 at 8:45AM
Actually, the window felts are repro'd...

Check ebay.

Paul
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2009 at 9:42AM

Do you know which company reproduces them? I only saw '70 and older Cougar parts currently listed.

1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
PatsPOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatsPOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2009 at 12:29PM
Lee...did you follow that link I posted over on crownvic.net?  Welcome aboard...always time to chat about the "less-loved" midsizers!  :D

Pat

'75 460 Gran Torino Sport (14.04 @ 97 MPH)
'91 Crown Vic (18.09 @ 75 MPH)
'89 300 F-150 (18.37 @ 73 MPH)
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2009 at 12:45PM
Sharp looking car. I recently saw a 78 LTD II done in same color scheme where I picked up my parts car.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2009 at 12:58PM
Great looking car Lee and you're not all that far away from me. 
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2009 at 12:38AM
I did indeed, Pat, thanks for the guidance!

It's still hard to believe that these were once "mid-sized cars", and in the T-bird's case even "downsized" from the '76s LOL!

1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2009 at 12:41AM
Originally posted by iangj iangj wrote:

Great looking car Lee and you're not all that far away from me. 

Hey iangj, where are you located? Do you ever make it down to our cruise nights? I've never seen a '72/'73 Montego GT in the flesh, but they sure look fantastic in pictures!
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
iangj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iangj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2009 at 11:02AM
I'm in Fonthill which is near Niagara Falls.
Haven't been to London for a while but wife has relatives there. Maybe once my car is done we'll try to make a few of the cruise nights that way. Maybe you could get to a couple out this way sometime.
Ian Glyn-Jones
Fonthill, Ontario, Canada
Wish I had My Baby Back

Montego GT Registry
Forum; http://mmgt.forumchitchat.com/
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2009 at 1:39PM
Whoa, your car is great!  Sounds like you got a smoking deal, too!  Actually, mid-tone cars (med grays, blues, greens, etc) really show off a car's lines, IMO.  That car had GREAT lines for the color!  NICE work on the badge, too!  Congratulations and welcome to the forums!
~Chris
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
JimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2009 at 10:52AM
Nice car, great deal!. 

JIm

Edited by JimW - 02-November-2009 at 10:52AM
1976 S&H Gran Torino

460/C6/4.33 13.05@105.6

545/C6/3.56 11.52@117.8

More to come!!!!

463rwhp/495rwtq

two tons of fun

see it and hear it at:

www.torinocobra.com

www.st
GranTorinoSport View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Admin of "The Org"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinoSport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2009 at 7:39PM
Beautiful XR-7. I really like the look of that car. And the trunk emblem overhaul is ingenious - it looks like new (better than new), and cost next to nothing. Very creative! Especially when some emblems go for $100+!

Welcome!
Scott Eklund

Webmaster
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2009 at 11:41PM
Yeah, after scanning E-bay for the price of an NOS emblem, I figured I had nothing to lose :). Plus, doing model cars and aircraft has always a hobby of mine for 20 years, so I liked the opportunity to apply modeling skills to a real car.

Next up is the interior door chrome trim: I plan on using "Bare Metal Foil", a self-adhesive chrome foil, to redo all of the stripping around the woodgrain on the door panels. It is starting to flake badly, and one little slit with the Xacto knife just sends if flying! It should be a good winter project :).

Thanks again for the compliments, everyone!
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
crispy23c View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispy23c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2009 at 11:30AM
By the way, I got to ask- you also have a Turbo 301 T/A?  I had a buddy with one of those, and for its time it really flew!
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2009 at 11:44PM
Yes indeed, my brother and I picked it up 10 years ago from the original owner, and it's still mostly original, right down to the mudflaps and exhaust. It's not fast by today's standards, but after driving the Cougar one really appreciates how good a performance car the Trans Am was for its day: it handles more like a new car, no sign of boatiness whatsoever :).

Ours has no T-tops but the WS6 handling package (4-wheel disc, thicker sway bars, some extra chassis reinforcing bars, 15x8 wheels, stiffer suspension, and a few other small features), so it's about as performance-oriented as they could be back then. It's black-on-red with the 5-colour maroon-to-orange hood bird and lettering. A very sharp sight on the road, if I do say so myself :).

It also has the deluxe interior, power windows, tilt, colour-keyed seatbelts, A/C (standard with the turbo); aftermarket-wise, it's all '80s custom: rear window louvres, early-'80s custom wheels with Firebird spinners (people love those!), and an early-'80s pioneer tape deck with those microscopic buttons :). It's a lot of fun, but in a whole different way than the Cougar... except for the huge hood view, which both have in spades LOL!

1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2009 at 2:56AM
Ah yes, the Turbo T/A... The only way you knew the turbo was spooling was by listening for detonation LOL
Paul
Turbo301 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo301 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2009 at 3:10AM
LOL They weren't that bad as long as they were fed good gas :). Actually, the turbo pushes very strongly in the 50-100 km/h range, but it is a bit of a slug off the line until the turbo winds up (same as any turbo car, really).

Removing the catalytic converter also helps (not that I would condone that, of course): reduces backpressure and gives you that great turbo whistle!
1977 Cougar XR7
1980 turbo Trans Am
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
 Post Reply Post Reply