The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Neutral safety switch question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerrybromley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neutral safety switch question
    Posted: 18-January-2024 at 1:08AM
I have a 68 with a column shift. I will be converting to an aftermarket floor shift.  I know that the column shift has the neutral safety switch in the column and the floor shift has the safety switch on the transmission. Does anyone know which neutral safety switch I should use on the transmission for this application. 
I seem to recall that the column shift transmission and floor shift transmissions have reverse shift pattern. By that I mean that to get to Park you push the transmission shift lever forward on one and push towards the back on the other. I think this would mean different neutral safety switches.
I will be thankful for any input about this!
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2024 at 4:41AM
what floor shifter are you looking at, no NSS provision in the shifter? it's been a while since i've been under there but i'm thinking the NSS's are the same and the linkage lever arm goes either upwards or downwards to facilitate the difference of direction for either column or floor

ever seen these?

72 GT Ute

jerrybromley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerrybromley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2024 at 12:54AM
I haven't decided on a shifter as of yet. The link you sent look pretty fancy! But I will go a little more traditional. I would love to use a stock shifter and console , but the prices on that stuff are stupid high!

If I understand correctly, you think the NSS can be rotated to accommodate which way the shift lever needs to move. That would make a lot of sense. Thanks for the insight.

Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2024 at 9:21AM
no the NSS and the shaft / barrel are the same, the difference is whether the lever arm comes off the shaft / barrel upwards or downwards, that will change whether it's push or pull. if you're going from column to floor 99% you'll need to either change the linkage piece or use a universal clamp on POS to make it work. 

don't worry it'll never loosen up and slip leaving you Censored. yeah it will
72 GT Ute

jerrybromley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerrybromley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2024 at 3:22AM
I found on Summit a NSS that it says can be used for either column or floor shift
Scott Drake C4AZ-7A247-C
I ordered it I'll see how it works
 Post Reply Post Reply