The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > The Welcome Mat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New from S.florida

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68fordGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New from S.florida
    Posted: 09-August-2020 at 9:33AM
Hello all,

Thank you for the membership, I've had a 68 and a 71 fastback in my high school days and I am looking at rekindling that love with another 68. I've my eye on 68 Torino gt w/302 4 speed but there appears to be a hefty amount of rust/rot. The torque boxes are no longer boxes, more like windows. The hood ( one hinge is rusted off ) and trunk lid are shot.
  I've been doing some number checking on the cost to get it driving for my son/me. The number hovers around 10k in parts and that's not including the torque box issue. The question is there a point of no return for the torque box and rails? The rear leaf springs are in bad shape as well from rust. Any guidance/info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cliff   
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2020 at 11:41AM
welcome! do you own the car already? or looking at buying it? for that $$$ it may be better to find one more solid? but almost any car can be fixed there seams to be more replacement parts available for the 1st and 2nd gen cars though
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
68fordGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68fordGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2020 at 1:04PM
I am looking to buy the 68, its a fastback with a 302/4sp. I have looked online for hood/trunk lid and only found fiberglass replacements and tried to price up what it would take for it to be a driver. My main concern is the underneath rust and how strong it could be without messing the car up, the other items wouldn't have to be returned to original, especially at this time. It is definitely a project. I've help my buddy replace the torque boxes on a mustang but they had every part you could possible need.

Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2020 at 1:10PM
I'm over in the St. Petersburg area. If I come across something,  I'll post it. 
Also welcome to the group. 
Steve M.
dan0R30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan0R30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2020 at 1:16PM
Welcome! Hope you can find what you're looking for if you don't go for that one!
Dan

1970 Ford Torino hardtop - 351C 4V - FMX - 9" 3.89 TrueTrac
68fordGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68fordGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2020 at 1:41PM
Thanks, I'll either pull the trigger by Wednesday or keep looking. either way glad I found this forum, some great info.
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2020 at 1:48PM
Welcome to the forum!  I upgraded you to a full member, so you have full forum privileges.  I am kind of the same opinion as CaliforinaJohnny - I'd want something more solid, but then again I am not skilled at metal work.  
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin
68fordGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68fordGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2020 at 2:03PM
Thank you.
  I'll take some pics and see what the thoughts are based off the forums experience.
68fordGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68fordGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2020 at 9:39AM
albo74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albo74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2020 at 11:09AM
 Welcome to the forum ,  I like the 4 speed ,not to be a negative nelly but  10 grand + the price of the car and fix that ...  and what else ?  You need to show me some pictures that I can fall in love with . Top side and interior is nice ?  The fuel line looks good .  So it a running car , Right  . someone  did good to use the old clips.
albos73gts
68fordGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68fordGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2020 at 11:31AM
That's the worse of the rust, there isn't anything that would be in considered great except I like that style. I would call it a roller even though the engine runs and the 4sp shifts, the brakes were removed including the master cylinder. 
68fordGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68fordGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2020 at 12:46AM
I gave an offer for what I thought it was fair but they didn't accept, didn't even counter. I'll keep looking.

Cliff
mkshelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkshelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2020 at 3:06AM
good riddance. Unless the areas above was pristine (which I doubt) that car was beyond the trouble fixing.

Good luck on your search.
"Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually UNinventing the wheel"
Big Bird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2020 at 10:37AM
Probably for the best. Looks like a lot of rot where the rails join the body/torque box areas and there are few parts available for these cars.
"What we do in full frontal view, is more honest than your cleaned-up mind."
Randy
1979 T-Bird
2005 F-150 STX RCSB 4.6, 3.55 LSD
How the Heck does a REGULAR CAB SHORTBED weigh over 5200 pounds?
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2020 at 1:54PM
yeah if they are that unreasonable to even discuss it then it's for the better
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
68fordGT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68fordGT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2020 at 1:43AM
I felt the same, the search goes on
 Post Reply Post Reply