The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > Transmissions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to auto trans, need advice on my C6

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odranoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to auto trans, need advice on my C6
    Posted: 09-August-2011 at 8:13AM
Being that I am European I have no experience in troubleshooting automatic transmissions... Obviously the one in my Torino is acting up and I would need some hints on what to do with it: the selector works fine, it shifts easily through all options, although if I am in park on my driveway it does offer some resistance to get out of park and into reverse and eventually does let go with a bit of a "clank". One in D it takes off properly but will not shift, I can however select first or second gear manually but third never engages. If I go back to D after manually selecting second it just stays in second but eventually goes back to first if I slow down to a stop. If I really floor it in first second will engage but with a pretty definite jolt. 

I am thinking of bringing it to a transmission shop, but I would like to know what to expect or if there is anything I can try at home (I am handy and I have tools, I just completely lack the knowledge on automatic transmissions).
1972 Gran Torino
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2011 at 8:28AM
1. is your driveway on a hill? Park always offers some resistance, at least on every Fomoco C4/C6 I've had. 

Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2011 at 8:43AM
not sure but possibly the shifter cable needs slight adjustment it may be going into gear on the column selector but not actually engaging it in the correct spot on the transmission selector so it might not be full engaged in Drive. If not you might have some worn clutches in your trans and time for a rebuild which I leave to the professionals
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2011 at 4:12PM
First. If you're parking on a hill get acquainted with the parking brake. Do not trust the detent to hold that car.
I read about a recall about the time I had my 74 roughly 20 years ago. The 74 "popped" out of park in the barn while a friend of mine was sitting between it and the car behind it. Was funny watching him hold the two cars apart while I set the brake.
I use them all the time stick or automatic.

Chuck 
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2011 at 2:23AM
My '76 with a C5 would consistently pop out of Park. If I was on a hill and wanted to make sure it was going to be there when I returned, I would put it in Park, hold it there, let the car roll back a bit (to lock it in) and then engage the emergency brake. This is extremely hard on the Parking pawl and I rarely did it, but it made sure the car stayed put. Even after a rebuild, it still did the same.

The emergency brake should be applied before you let your foot off the brake in Park in order to reduce the pressure on the Parking pawl and ease the effort in shifting out of Park when leaving.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2011 at 4:27AM
that's fine and dandy guys but that won't fix the problem he is having with drive/3rd gear shifting
Skinnys Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skinnys Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2011 at 4:45AM
Sounds to me like it could be a modulator problem. Might be simple as a vacuum line left off, hooked up in the wrong place or replacing a bad one. They will shift hard and late with a problem in this area. How it shifts out of park is unrelated to the running problem.
Scott -'73 Gran Torino Brougham

Past Torino's -'73 Q-code GTS, '76 Original PS-122 S&H, '73 H-code GTS, '73 Ranchero
        '71 Cobra 351 Auto, '70 351C Brougham 2dr HT, '71 351C Ranchero
75GranMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75GranMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2011 at 2:30PM
sounds like a stickin' govenor to me.
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!
Odranoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odranoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2011 at 8:49AM
Originally posted by Skinnys Garage Skinnys Garage wrote:

Sounds to me like it could be a modulator problem. Might be simple as a vacuum line left off, hooked up in the wrong place or replacing a bad one. They will shift hard and late with a problem in this area. How it shifts out of park is unrelated to the running problem.

I talked to the provious owner: he said the car has had this problem before and then it got fixed and now it is doing it again. Might be something in the vaccum lines? I hope that is the case! I'll bleed the brakes tonight and then take her to the shop to have it checked out. Smile
1972 Gran Torino
CheeseSteakJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CheeseSteakJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2011 at 8:18AM
Check the fluid level, too. I'm unfamiliar with C6's specifically but I know in general if an older non-electronic transmission is low on fluid it won't upshift very consistantly due to the lack of proper pressure buildup.
1972 Ford GTS Formal, H-code, automatic (SOLD)
1979 Chevy El Camino SS/Royal Knight, 355ci, TH350, Posi 10-bolt
1988 Lincoln Town Car, T5 5spd,
1966 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Honda CB650 bobber
VorbottenO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VorbottenO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2011 at 3:41PM
How the does the fluid look? Should be dark red and not smell burnt.
If you have not done it recently, may try servicing it as well.
You can tell a lot by looking in the pan for various materials (metal, clutch, etc...)
Do not forget to drain the converter as well.
Always start with the basics and often you will find the culprit....
Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

Post Reply Post Reply