The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Funds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Funds
    Posted: 30-April-2011 at 4:33PM
Well I am having to continue sticking to the inexpensive stuff.  I had a flat on my pickup this week and after plugging it and deciding to break the news to my wife (financial advisorWink) that by the end of the summer or early fall, I will have to invest in some new rubber.  So........that shuts down my plans for the GTS till then.  I pulled the door panels off, some interior trim, and gonna try to save the headliner and see if she can stitch it back together.  
-Ben

72 GTS 351c\Q

05 F-150 FX4

BUILT FORD TOUGH!
bdavis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2011 at 4:35PM
I forgot to ask,  is there anything you can do the plastic panel at top where it has faded or is it done? 
-Ben

72 GTS 351c\Q

05 F-150 FX4

BUILT FORD TOUGH!
ilyes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ilyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2011 at 6:42PM
you can die it with special paint 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2011 at 1:12AM
SEM makes a good interior paint, they make a type for hard plastic and also for vinyl and it is good stuff.Check with your local auto paint supplier.I'm changing the color of my interior from blue to black and going to paint it with the SEM interior paint.Works great and have used it on many restorations to make the panels like new again
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2011 at 4:03AM
there's a technique with a heat gun that re-floats the color
72 GT Ute

bdavis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2011 at 4:15PM
Tell me more about the heat gun?Ermm
-Ben

72 GTS 351c\Q

05 F-150 FX4

BUILT FORD TOUGH!
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 1:59AM
You can use a heat gun to bring back the color in some plastic/rubber pieces. I've used this for years on Jeeps and other vehicles where the black or grey mouldings turn chalky or "whitish" to bring back their original color. Move the heat gun over the surface at a steady rate, overlapping and going in different directions (to prevent streaking) carefully watching to make sure you don't melt or deform the surface, while it brings out the original colors. It has always worked well for me.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
papadeath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papadeath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2013 at 6:36AM
That white, chalky color is oxidation. I would try to lightly sand most of that off (no rougher than 220 grit), before trying anything.
The heat gun sounds good but you have to be very careful of warping. Warp=done. I personally will try the paint method though the only thing I'm saving is my dash. I will get a new dash-pad from dearbornclassics.com, for around 125 bucks or whatever it is. I'm changing the interior color from olive green (hideous, hehe), to black, so the only thing I have to paint is the dash itself.
75 Ranchero in progress
04 Harley Deuce stage one kit
89 Toyota pickup modded
09 Scion XB (bought for the ol' lady) buy American! (sorry)
skateboard
4 bicycles
1 scooter
2 dogs
2 stupid cats
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2013 at 7:10AM
Some of the plastic/urethane parts cannot be sanded because of their textured surfaces (without looking different). On the exterior parts, it is usually fading of the outer surface color that results in the whitish appearance. Armour All and ColorBack can cover up some of the issues, but are temporary at best and detrimental at worst. Outside cladding is particularly suseptable. Heat gun is a good bet on those type parts and pretty safe if kept moving. However, it will cause damage if not used properly.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
lynchster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynchster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2013 at 10:19AM
For prepping textured parts I like to use the red and gray scotchbrite pads. The new thinner ones that come in rolls are even better.
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"
 Post Reply Post Reply