The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Powertrain Specific Forum > 335 Series Engine Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pertronix Ignitor mod.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivercrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pertronix Ignitor mod.
    Posted: 10-October-2020 at 3:05PM
So I just took out my points and installed the solid state 1281 electronic ignition. Following all the instructions, including the gap setting of .030 all is well.....except I now get a much lower dwell reading on my meter. Does a variation in the gap affect the dwell reading or is there really a dwell reading at all. Any advice is always appreciated.
Bob
1974 Cougar XR7 with a 72 351C
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2020 at 3:33AM
the air gap should not affect your measured dwell reading, it's just an air gap specification to ensure that
the reluctor and stator are close enough to communicate but not too close to contact each other.

does your coil fall within the recommended ohm resistance ratings?

how much lower, what's the dwell reading at idle and did you check to see if it changes with rpm?

it possible the module uses a floating dwell depending upon spark demand,
i'd call the tech line and see what they're willing or able to share

Edited by Rockatansky - 11-October-2020 at 7:56AM
72 GT Ute

Rivercrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivercrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2020 at 4:32AM
My concern was dwell with points was 27 (within factory specs) and now it measures at 21 . Reality is the engine runs the same before and after the swap so I really have no concerns, perhaps the electronic points don't give a true reading that my dwell meter can follow. I'll call the tech line and report back...
Bob
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2020 at 3:08PM
i don't think you can get a needed dwell reading with electronic, it was mainly for the points for coil saturation. .030 gap for the pick up to stator??? i don't think it needs that kind of gap!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivercrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2020 at 7:08AM
As a follow up, I spoke with the Tech support team, dwell is electronically fixed and as mentioned earlier the gap is not critical but .030 is a good number. As a side note, because I have an resistance ( ballast ) component to run my factory tach and I could not easily find the "before ballast " connection so I installed a sensitive 12 volt relay at the coil positive and wired the contacts to supply 12 volts to the Ignitor module fed from the positive battery post. Seems to work well so far....
Bob
72FordGTS View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72FordGTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2020 at 12:03PM
I did the same with when I ran a 1281 Pertronix module.  They often will run off 8 volts or so, but 12 volts is better.  Make sure the 12 volts from the relay is fused.
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivercrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2020 at 4:50AM
It is fused at 15 A with an extra fuse in the glove box for when I need it LOL
Bob
BadHabit351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BadHabit351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2020 at 5:50AM
Originally posted by Rivercrest Rivercrest wrote:

It is fused at 15 A with an extra fuse in the glove box for when I need it LOL

Put your points & condensor in there with it...based on my experience with a pertronix unit. I went through 2 replacements & my brother in-law is on his 2nd with his 69 Bronco. On the other hand, our other buddy has the same one in his 72 Mustang Mach 1 for over 10 years. All of them installed the exact same way.
1973/72 Gran Torino Sport
1971 Torino GT convertilble
2013 Ford Fusion
2004 Ford SuperDuty
2013 Mustang GT
Lizer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2020 at 12:17PM
My Pertronix Ignitor II has been in my Mustang for 5 years now with no issues, knock on rust.
78 LTD II sports touring package (blue), father original owner
67 Mustang (5.0)
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ Drag Pack
J Moore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2020 at 3:43PM
Hi I am new to this forum and a little late on this thread, but I thought I would share some Petronix experience with all. First, 1973 Ford F250 with 390 wouldn't hardly run when cold. After engine got to temp and after heat soaking after shut down it would run fine.  Long story short.. I found the Ignitor module rubbing on the trigger wheel. Research promoted me to set .030 clearance between the two. Problem solved. Second...72 GTS Q had major issues with ignition. It came to me with Petronix Ignitor I series. The gap was fine.  Longer story short...too much resistance in ground circuit. Petronix chief engineer says NO More than .2 ohms. I measured 8 ohms in circuit.  Module needs FULL 12 volts to function correctly. Not 10 or 8 or anything less than 12. It was wired to coil feed which is resistance wire for run circuit. (A spliced in harness connection provides 12 volts when starting). I connected the module feed wire to the idle solenoid circuit which has full 12 volts in the run position. I cleaned every ground connection point from the distributor to block, block negative cable connection point, battery negative post connection, and even the engine to body ground connections. Then measured 0 ohms resistance from module mounting bracket on point plate to Battery negative POST.  Problem solved. I am going to post a link to some Petronix tech info that gets in depth with the voltage and grounding issues.  HTH someone.  John             https://vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/low_voltage.htm

Edited by J Moore - 20-October-2020 at 3:48PM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivercrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2020 at 4:52PM
Thanks for all that info, electronics are great when they work. a pain when they quit without much warning. PS: I can't seem to get a response from your link.
Bob
J Moore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Moore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2020 at 1:44PM
I don't know why link doesn't work. It copied verbatim.  Oh well.  John
gpd294 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gpd294 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2020 at 6:50AM
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana
 Post Reply Post Reply