The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1972-1976 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power door lock covers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power door lock covers
    Posted: 15-June-2022 at 10:00AM
Gathering up everything that goes in the doors of the Torino so the shop can reinstall the parts to get the doors weighted accurately and when I pulled the power lock actuators out of the tote they were stored in, I found the rubber coverings on them had started to turn to goo, so I removed them and cleaned up the  parts. Now I need to find replacements or fashion something similar to protect the mechanisms. Anyone else run into this problem before and what did you use to protect the actuators?

Thanks in advance for your input....

Edited by TV 2M8O - 15-June-2022 at 10:06AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2022 at 1:32PM
I hope you make that work well, I'm interested in how the stock assemblies worked.

I have an idea to use a 95-01 Explorer door latch, and a matching lock actuator for my Ranchero.The later Fords have the small arm that an actuator connects to, I think the latches will go in the old Fords. If so, I might also use the Fox Mustang actuators, which are very quiet compared to the Explorer actuators, and have shorter rods(to fit into a tighter space).
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2022 at 10:29PM
 out of all the cars i've parted ... i've never seen one with power locksShocked idk would the accordion boots from a 90's S-10 work??? those are quite common in wrecking yards!!!
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2022 at 12:11AM
John, it was basically a thin black rubber "bag" that was molded in the shape of the actuator, open on the bottom with an opening for the rod that works the latch locking mechanism and two holes for the mounting rivets to slip thru....

I'll see if I can find a picture of what they used to look like.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2022 at 12:23AM
OK, a quick google search and I got lucky!

Here is the power lock actuator without the cover....

and here is the rubber "bag" covering....

the open bottom...

and the rivet mounting tabs....

Need to see if I can find a mass produced rubber bag/bladder/??? to use in place of the OEM covering.

Thanks for any suggestions!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2022 at 3:02AM
The rubber cover is very important, but the only purpose is to protect the actuator motor from water dripping down onto(in) it by way of the window.

I'm very familiar with them in the Mark VII's, without the cover the actuators usually don't last very long. When the window outer felt/seal cracks from age, much more water gets into the door and if the actuator has no cover, they die in a short time, say under 2-3 years.

So be sure the window felts have excellent rubber, or replace them ASAP with power door locks.

BTW, that lock actuator motor looks just like a Fox Mustang part, except for the large section where the motion is converted into a different direction. The later actuators all just have the shaft coming out of them, and a rod that goes straight to the door latch mechanism. So the late model actuators have to be in line with the latch locking lever, which puts them directly below usually. I like the later latches because they are still available NOS, for about $60 last I looked. They also have the latch switch(door jamb switch) built into them, so you could eliminate the door jamb switches.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2022 at 11:26AM
Don, any idea where or what I could use to replace the factory rubber covers??

THANKS

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2022 at 2:29PM
I have seen people use old inner tubes as covers/boots for steering shaft u-joints. I would look for that kind of rubber materiel. You only need a large enough piece to cover the top area of the motor itself, keep water from weeping down to it. You might zip tie a piece of such an inner tube to make the top, with RTV inside where you tie it together. I don't know what would look great at all versus the well shaped original pieces.
Don
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2022 at 2:20AM
Don, my passenger side is about 95% complete with a few splits here and there, but the driver side has completely disintegrated. Was wondering if there was a way of patching together the splits in the passenger side and then using it as a master to create a mold of some sort to cover in Plasti-Dip or the liquid Flex Seal to form new covers that can also be turned inside out to use on the driver side??

YOUR THOUGHTS?? Ermm

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2022 at 6:06AM
is this your door lock actuator ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265321167782

not that $$$ but Green Sales might know if the boots are available separately,

and might even have them?

on the cheap a couple PVC shipping bags might work?

72 GT Ute

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2022 at 10:49AM
Thanks Max, I'll give Green a ring on Monday!

Using modern plastics, I'm concerned about the longevity before they start biodegrading! Gotta love them tree huggers! LOL

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2022 at 12:50PM
that PVC stuff is pretty tough, i can hardly get them darn bags open!

some of the cheap ones are designed to disintegrate though
72 GT Ute

72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2022 at 1:34PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

is this your door lock actuator ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265321167782

not that $$$ but Green Sales might know if the boots are available separately,

and might even have them?

on the cheap a couple PVC shipping bags might work?

That's a great find, I would jump at that for the whole assembly.

A quality plastic bag would be very good too if you knew it would survive for 20 years etc. I think The best RTV's would bond to that OEM rubber material. That could save one if the bad places were few and not large. You don't need it to be attractive in the door, but it has to survive the handling to install it of course.
Don
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2022 at 1:55AM
Oh, I jumped on it and will call Green Sales Monday about a mate and any info on the rubber covers they may have as well.

We purchased a Purple mattress yesterday and it came wrapped in heavy clear plastic (like a thick shower curtain) that I hung onto to see what I could make with it. I'm sure there may be others out there that are in need of those covers if nothing NOS/OEM is available.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2022 at 3:12AM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

Oh, I jumped on it and will call Green Sales Monday about a mate and any info on the rubber covers they may have as well.

We purchased a Purple mattress yesterday and it came wrapped in heavy clear plastic (like a thick shower curtain) that I hung onto to see what I could make with it. I'm sure there may be others out there that are in need of those covers if nothing NOS/OEM is available.

Excellent, and I hope you find something else that works great. I would have wanted that kind of actuator of I didn't think the later model will work better than the stock one. I know the late 80's actuators are rare now as NOS, but there's still plenty of support from parts stores. I bought about 8-10 of those NOS actuators many years ago when I decided about this and my Lincoln which uses them. They are fragile parts, and I haven't liked the two aftermarket units I put in one of my Mark VII's. But the OEM parts are really good and quiet, they last a long time if that boot doesn't get torn off etc.
Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2022 at 3:38AM
i just had a thought (wait for it Wacko )

could you fab an awning of sheet metal maybe even copper to shed away any water ingress from the top?
72 GT Ute

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2022 at 3:52AM
I THINK the cover will need to be flexible to a certain degree to allow for the latch link to move thru it's travel. The link swings back and forth as the actuator operates.

Don, can you confirm that a rigid cover might impinge upon the actuator motions??

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-June-2022 at 4:31AM
I haven't had one in my hands, but it does look to clearly move inside the boot. I've thought about a deflector of some kind for my Lincoln, back when it ate two new actuators in under two years(not driven much either). I think any splashing of water that could get into the motor would be bad, I don't know why they seem to be so sensitive, or poorly sealed from water. I think they relied on the rubber cover and never worried about making the motor better able to survive some water. There should be very little water in the doors ever, but the issue has been known for a long time. Some cars are just worse than others, probably a lucky thing for many cars that rarely have the issue.

Keeping the window felts/seals in great shape is a big key, and then the cover for the actuator just needs to stop any water from getting to the top of the motor's upper shaft. So depending on the space and shape around the top side of the actuator, it may or may not be possible to create something better for it. A simple plastic bag etc, might be perfectly adequate for a long time.
Don
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2022 at 12:50PM
Will this one work also, do all 72-79's take the same lock actuator?

It's $109;
Don
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2022 at 12:20PM
I think I have a solution... going to stop at a local bike shop and see if they may have an old bike inner tube large enough to fit over the motor and connector. Roll over the end and glue it closed (as well as covering the seam with RTV for extra protection) and slipping that over the motor (kinda like a condom) and then fashion an envelope/bag out of the old mattress wrapper and fit that to the assembly for an added layer of protection.

Fingers crossed....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2022 at 12:34PM
Joe,

You could also stop by a fabric store like Jo Ann Fabric or Michaels and see if they have material that would work.

I bought marine vinyl for my rear package tray from Michaels.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2022 at 1:02PM
I hope that works, it doesn't have to be perfect or attractive, just water proof to any water from above it.

Originally posted by 72 RS 351 72 RS 351 wrote:

I have seen people use old inner tubes as covers/boots for steering shaft u-joints. I would look for that kind of rubber materiel. You only need a large enough piece to cover the top area of the motor itself, keep water from weeping down to it. You might zip tie a piece of such an inner tube to make the top, with RTV inside where you tie it together. I don't know what would look great at all versus the well shaped original pieces.
Don

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2022 at 1:30PM
72 GT Ute

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2022 at 6:55AM
Well guys, I think I have my power lock actuator issue resolved and my thanks to Don for pointing out how important the rubber shield was!

First issue was "waterproofing" the motor. Since the boots were really a thin rubber membrane that deteriorated over time, most of the NOS pieces had similar issues with the boots being compromised so I had to figure out a new solution. Since Don said it was really only the motor that needed to be protected after several attempts top fashion some kind of boot, I decided to just cover the motor and that made the solution a bit more easy to accomplish....

A trip to my local bike shop yielded a bike innertube the correct cross-sectional diameter to snugly cover the motor.

I cut sections of the tube long enough to allow material to be sealed and then folded over and sealed again on one end and turned under on the opposite end to form a cuff so there wasn't a raw edge of the innertube exposed.

The new "sleeves" fit over the motor and wiring connector nice and snug to prevent any (hopefully) moisture from getting into the motor and reducing it's life.

The next issue was the rubber bushing that secured the operating rod to the motor driven gear. As had happened to the boot, the rubber had turned to goo and did not hold the rod in place. There was no exploded parts illustration of the lock actuator assembly, so I had no basic part number to search for so I had wing it. I found an old section of rubber hose that had the correct id to allow the rod to slip thru and the correct od to fit snugly into the operating gear opening, so I cut a section a bit longer than the thickness of the brass bushing in the gear, pushed it into the bushing and threaded the rod end thru the rubber and hooked it into place and viola..... issue resolved!

The last obstacle to tackle was the gear stop. The original stop was a piece of heavy rubber covered brass that was wrapped around a T shaped boss on the actuator bracket that prevented the motor from driving the gear too far in either direction. Again, the rubber had deteriorated into a gummy coating on the brass backing and not performing as intended, so I pried the brass wrapping from around the boss. The rubber hose I used for the rod bushing was slightly too small in diameter to prevent the gear from bottoming out on the bracket, so once more I scratched my head and went looking for a solution. I discovered some rubber, mushroom headed bumpers that were designed to be pushed onto a round peg or something similar. Found one with the correct id to fit around the bracket boss and the od large enough to stop the gear before running into the bracket but was too think, but hey, it's rubber and I have a sharp blade in my cutter, so I order a package. Once they arrived, I found by cutting them just under the mushroom head and stacking two of the heads onto the bracket boss, the gear was stopped as it should.

Took a bit longer to resolve that I thought but I think I now have everything taken care of and the motors are now ready to go into the doors and hopefully serve me well for many more years.

(PS the only difference between the driver side and passenger side actuators is the direction the actuating rods are wound, so if your motor quits working, keep your rod and then should you only locate the opposite hand actuator, change out the rod and you'll be good to go!!)

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2022 at 12:36PM
Excellent work, that project saved your actuators and will help many others for sure.

I need to get a look at all of those door latch and lock parts, rods etc. I hope they are close enough to the later Fords that I can cheat and replace them with easy to come by 90's Ford stuff. I have extras from thinking of this 10-15 years ago, seeing what new door latches cost then.
Don
 Post Reply Post Reply