Category: Model Specific Forum
Forum Name: 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
Forum Description: Technical discussion for 1968-1969 Ford and Mercury
URL: https://forum.grantorinosport.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=20672
Printed Date: 28-March-2024 at 8:07AM
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Accessory gauges - who has them?
Posted By: TheRktmn
Subject: Accessory gauges - who has them?
Date Posted: 05-April-2023 at 10:19AM
I am currently working on a tachometer for 68s that do not have a factory tach. 
I was wondering how many 68 owners have installed gauges for Temperature, Oil Pressure and Charging System instead of using the factory warning lights??

-------------
Bob
aka The Rocketman RCCInnovations.com

Replies:
Posted By: schufitz
Date Posted: 06-April-2023 at 5:20AM
I added auxiliary oil & temp gauges.  Have seen some customs where they go in the dash pods, but wanted to keep factory faces (and they are pricey!).  Have a splitter for oil, so the light still works.  Temp light is unhooked.  Use a cheap Amazon lighter plug for the volts when I want to check.

-------------
Dave
1969 Torino GT/351W 2V/FMX/Vinyl Top/Black Jade/Gold Stripes/Nugget Gold Buckets/Console/Racing Mirrors/AC/PS/PDB

Date Posted: 06-April-2023 at 5:46AM
Thanks Dave.  That looks like a good solution.  
I have to admit that I am a fan of those cheap Amazon cigar lighter volt plugs - I use them on my power supplies here in the shop. Thumbs Up

-------------
Bob

Posted By: 57heaven
Date Posted: 23-April-2023 at 4:16PM
Originally posted by TheRktmn TheRktmn wrote:

I am currently working on a tachometer for 68s that do not have a factory tach. 
I was wondering how many 68 owners have installed gauges for Temperature, Oil Pressure and Charging System instead of using the factory warning lights??

I am going to install underdash gauges in my 68 cuz I like specific info, although I will also utilize the lights under the factory tach too just cuz I don't watch under dash gauges consistently enough.  

Planning on a factory look tach using the clock hole or modifying non-tach housing to accept a tach and circuit panel?

Date Posted: 25-April-2023 at 12:30AM
The tach is self contained - no need for mods to the housing or circuit panel.  I was playing with the idea of getting rid of the Oil and Amps lights, but it looks like that isn't realistic.
Right now I have two versions of the 'standard' tach.  One replaces the clock or clock delete (pic below), the other replaces the right-hand side warning light pod.  I am messing with the warning light issues now so no picture of that one.

-------------
Bob

Posted By: 57heaven
Date Posted: 25-April-2023 at 1:25PM
Looks good. Using the clock hole seems like the better plan to me, cuz who needs a clock these days when you can look at your phone if you care what time it is. Then you still have the warning lights in the standard cluster anyway.

I made a factory one up out of several partial factory tach clusters, but remains to be seen if it works or not..

Posted By: 78FordLtd2
Date Posted: 26-April-2023 at 11:42AM
The factory clock hole would be an obvious choice for a tach. I have never seen...or it is a rarity that the factory Ford quartz clock even worked at all. Mine doesnt and hasn't for years. The clock in my father's Montego quit working within a year after buying the car new back in '75. It was never fixed.

Years ago I helped a friend of mine installing a trio of Stewart Warner gauges under the dash of his '73 Torino and they looked great. We weren't too concerned about dashboards and door panels back then. These were just used cars back in the 80s. So things like stereo speakers and gauges were tacked on wherever we thought was best without a thought. 

If we only knew back then...

Date Posted: 26-April-2023 at 1:33PM
That's what I thought, too.  I took my prototype to All Ford Carlisle in 2022 and the Torino guys there - even at the club level - were not interested.  That's why I started working on the idiot light version.

FYI:  I am in the finishing stages of the 68 and 69 Montego standard tach to replace the block-off plate or clock. They are styled after the MX tachs.

I'm pretty sure that I can do a 66/67 Comet as well.

-------------
Bob

Posted By: handsofstone
Date Posted: 28-April-2023 at 3:44AM
Lose the plastic oil line. They are a disaster waiting to happen. The copper line is readily available and much safer.

Posted By: Greg73Oregon
Date Posted: 28-April-2023 at 4:55AM
Yes! Copper line.  Thumbs Up
Be sure to make good radius bends and add strain reliefs (More or less "S" shapes to reduce strains on 90 degree bends)

-------------
GKF

Date Posted: 18-May-2023 at 7:20AM
 So having the tach all the way to the right isn't a problem visually?

-------------
Bob

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net