Print Page | Close Window

INFO: Rear Window Seal for Fastback

Printed From: The Ford Torino Page
Category: General Discussion
Forum Name: Auto Body Forum
Forum Description: Discussion of anything related to body, paint and metal work/restoration
URL: https://forum.grantorinosport.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=5705
Printed Date: 18-April-2024 at 2:28PM
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: INFO: Rear Window Seal for Fastback
Posted By: Ron Earp
Subject: INFO: Rear Window Seal for Fastback
Date Posted: 09-July-2011 at 4:57AM
I've ordered two fast back rear window seals for my 72 from Dearborn. Neither fit, both seem like formal roof seals despite having the correct part number and all. Seem way too small and we don't think there is anyway they'd stretch over the window. Anyone else experience this?

I've returned the seals for a refund and they're looking into the situation. However, I need to get rolling on the window install so I can finish the car up. What other sources of rear window seals are there?

Ron

-------------
04 Ford Lightning
72 GTS BB Stroker & Toploader
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses
http://www.gt40s.com" rel="nofollow - GT40s.com

Replies:
Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 09-July-2011 at 5:32AM
have you done the headliner or does your car have a good original headliner?
Just asking cause the headliner has to be done before the rear window instal as it wraps around the window flange to hold it.
I looked on Auto Krafters but they only have the formal roof
pn#D2OZ-6452084D

If Dearborn doesn't have the correct one I have no idea who does

How short is is because a formal roof glass is a big difference then a
fastback.Did you try laying it in the sunn to soften the rubber to see if it would stretch. My guess is they are gonna be a littel tight and need to be stretched but a formal seal would only go around the top part and sides and then the seal would be cutting off about 8 inches of glass.

wish you took photos of it as I could tell wether it just needed stretching or it was actually a formal roof glass seal

Posted By: kversch
Date Posted: 09-July-2011 at 7:07AM
I remember someone on here having similar problems with dearborn and rear window seals,  I dont recall who it was or what the outcome was exactly.

-------------
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: 09-July-2011 at 7:37AM
I'll get some pictures. I also didn't know about the rear window having to go in AFTER the headliner. This is 100% correct? 

-------------
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses

Date Posted: 09-July-2011 at 8:18AM
yes headliner has to be installed before the back glass cas the fabric of the headliner gets glued to the window opening flange and wraps around to the outside of that lip that the gasket sloand the gasket itself helps hold the headliner in place.
there is a new member who had a headliner installed and they didn't remove the glass to install it and simply glued it along that back edge and the heat melts the glue and the headliner starts to sag cause the headliner is not wrapped around that lip and then having the gasket over it to help keep it from coming loose.

Ask Eliteman76 aka Andy he installed his own headliner after hs 72 GTS
was painted and he said he will never do another cause it is such a PIA to stretch it and get it all tight with no loose or sags.

I din't want you to install the back glass if you have no headliner or plan on replacing it with a new one.
They also tuck under the edges of the roof channel that holds the roof channel gasket. I found this out when I was removing the driprail moldings on my 72 GTS and noticed the headliner material under the
roof channel after i took it off to get to the driprail screws

Posted By: starskytorino
Date Posted: 09-July-2011 at 7:03PM
you might try steele rubber company they have seals for the 72 fastback body   web site steelerubber.com

Posted By: 73torinogt
Date Posted: 10-July-2011 at 1:16PM
I had the same problem. The first one was way too small. They finally got me the correct one. Took about a month of calling and talking to guy named Levi.

-------------
73TorinoGT

Date Posted: 13-July-2011 at 7:31AM
Thanks guys. I'm calling and trying to get the right part but they seem a bit slow. Thanks,
Ron

-------------
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses

Posted By: Eliteman76
Date Posted: 13-July-2011 at 5:21PM
Ron-
I bought my seal kit from Autokrafters.
I prefer to not say negative things, so I will leave it as I prefer to purchase my materials from Autokrafters.
My rear window seal came in around a month after I ordered my window kit.
The seals were made by John Carpenter reproductions, and they do nice work {At least the AutoKrafter's kit}. Only thing I feel is lacking was to a degree the beltline weather strip pieces, but this has been discussed to death.
Yes, the headliner is a complete PITA.

I almost want to redo mine. But I am not tearing my car back apart. I urethane sealed the side rails to the roof {thought I had black caulking/silicone}. SO I am SOL and JWF.

Have the head liner installed or take your time and take plenty or pain killers to remove the migraine you will have doing this job.

I'm whining about this, but really...it took me two days to get this mess installed.

-------------
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Date Posted: 13-July-2011 at 5:22PM
OH, another thing. We used water and dove dish soap mixed in a sprayer to allow the seal and window to help seat to the pinch weld.

-------------

Posted By: MarkGubinski
Date Posted: 14-July-2011 at 1:31AM
As a glass installer let me say that we used to use the soapy water to rope in rubber seal windows but it dries & cakes. Nowadays we use WD-40. Slips in like magic.

-------------
72 Gran Torino Sport 557
10.12 @136 @3600lbs.
2 Time Milan Dragway Track Champion.
2012 IHRA Div. 5 No-Box Champion.
97 career wins.

Date Posted: 14-July-2011 at 5:28AM
Mark-
Got a question for you then...I would have probably done that, but paint was 7 days old at that point.
Figured soapy water was safer.

My rear window, I followed the assembly manual directions, but I am still getting minor water leakage in my trunk.
Would you lay a bead of urathane in the channel around the rear weatherstrip? I'm hesitant to do this, but irritated I am getting small amounts of water in the trunk.

-------------

Posted By: MarkGubinski
Date Posted: 15-July-2011 at 1:16AM
Don't use urathane with the rubber gasket. It'll work for awhile then separate. Use "liquid butyl". That's what we call it anyway. It's a sealer made for what you are doing that stays soft. Should be able to get it at glass shops or auto body suppliers.

-------------
72 Gran Torino Sport 557
10.12 @136 @3600lbs.
2 Time Milan Dragway Track Champion.
2012 IHRA Div. 5 No-Box Champion.
97 career wins.

Posted By: VorbottenO
Date Posted: 18-July-2011 at 8:13AM
I will chime in as well after having done both a headliner and rear window recently.
Yes, headliner must go in first, asprin is recommended (I used beer) but actually not all that bad of an experience.
Rear window seal, highly recommend WD for positioning and definitely use butyl. I tried urathane and ended up cutting it back out (that was whiskey night).
When I put it back again, I used a very little butyl in the actual gasket at the bottom.
No leaks and looks good.

-------------
Eric
72GTS-Ncode (429-477ci)

Date Posted: 18-July-2011 at 9:00AM
the best stuff to use is a 3M bedding compound used for rubber gasket window intallation. It is better then the 3M window weld as it does not sag like window weld which is more of a liquid

3M Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound part #08509

Date Posted: 25-July-2011 at 1:41AM
Guys, Dearnborn has sent me this "real seal" three times. I and my window installer don't see how it is going to fit. The straight part obviously goes at the bottom of the window. But the rest of it isn't nearly long enough to go around the window and doesn't have contoured edges.

Is this seal correct?

-------------
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses

Date Posted: 25-July-2011 at 2:55AM
Looks to be a formal roof seal as it don't look big enough for the fastback rear glass. I think the part numbers are mixed up and if you were to order a formal roof you might get the sport fastback gasket but I would call and see if they can put a hands on and open the box and check before sending it

Posted By: occupant
Date Posted: 25-July-2011 at 5:35AM
I'd be pretty po'd if I bought a formal roof seal, thinking it'll fit my sedan, and it be too big like it's for a fastback. It might be a year or two before I get around to recon on my package shelf and rear window trim, and I'll be installing a new seal when I do. I hope we're able to get this resolved with Dearborn/Ecklers by then. We have clout, we just need to USE it.

-------------
08 Uplander LS, 262K, broken again
08 Explorer EB, 195K, for the wife
still looking for another something

Date Posted: 25-July-2011 at 5:47AM
Ron, sorry to see you are having crap for luck with Dearborn.
I prefer to not talk negitively about Dearborn, but I called up AutoKrafters as that is who I use for my parts.
The gentleman I spoke with at AutoKrafters said their vendor had been making the mistake, and they are due to get the correct Sport specific fastback glass weatherstripping in around 3-4 weeks.
He had said the Vendor was the one who had the problems with incorrect part number on the piece. Hell, I even remember mine coming in, with the part number crossed off and a different Ford number hand written on the label last April.
When I got my kit, alot of the weatherstripping from the kit, and specifically the rear glass weatherstrip came from a company called John Carpenter reproductions.
I brought up John Carpenter, and the AutoKrafters guy said, yes, that is the Vendor.

While I was discussing, I also brought up the belt line weatherstrips, and the 1/4 glass rollers, of which I got the answer I was expecting...the belt line weatherstrips are what is made by "Repops'"and no one makes the rear window roller guides for the 72-73.

Ron, bascially, you are going to have to sit tight, but in this case, don't get angry with Dearborn, I would just ask to have then send you the correct replacement specific for a '72 Gran Torino Sport, and specifically tell the it is the fastback roof, and not the formal roof model.

-------------

Posted By: unlovedford
Date Posted: 25-July-2011 at 8:29AM
Does AutoKrafters make the color-keyed rear window gasket/weatherstrip for the formal top cars? The '72 I parted out had the tan moulding and my '76 has the maroon one. Just wanted to check before we start tearing out a window that I may not be able to get a new piece.

-------------
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Date Posted: 25-July-2011 at 10:24AM
Well if they won't physically go out in the wharehouse open the box and check before sending it they won't correct the problem if the part numbers are wrong. So call and see if they can check both seals and send you which ever one is bigger

Posted By: whifty
Date Posted: 25-July-2011 at 11:24AM
Dennis Carpenter makes the reproduction rear window rubber for the fastback. The part # is D20Z-6342084-D. It only comes in black and is $70.00. The other original colors are not available.
He also makes it for the formal roof.

Search the part # at http://www.denniscarpenter.com  

-------------
1931 Model A
1937 Tudor Slantback
1966 427 Fairlane
1972 429 Gran Torino Sport
1992 5.0 Mustang
2003 Mustang Mach I
2005 F-150
ASE Certified Master Technician

Date Posted: 25-July-2011 at 12:57PM
What other colors? I thought all rear window gaskets are black rubber on every year 72-76

Date Posted: 25-July-2011 at 12:59PM
No they weren't. Depends on what color your interior was. Originally my white interior had white rubber.

The colors were:

-------------
1931 Model A
1937 Tudor Slantback
1966 427 Fairlane
1992 5.0 Mustang
2003 Mustang Mach I
2005 F-150

Posted By: mule323
Date Posted: 25-July-2011 at 2:07PM
Whifty's correct. Originally mine had a tan interior and a tan window seal. The new ones are all black though.

-------------
             (Steve)
73 G.T.S. Fastback, 351C, C6

Date Posted: 25-July-2011 at 2:41PM
is it only colored on the inside part? Kinda would look dumb with the outside a color although most of it is covered by the stainless moldings.well both my 73 >ormals hade black interiors and my 72 has blue interior but don't recall the gasket looking blue.I guess they made them in color as there was no trim over the rubber on the inside but thatks a new one for me as never seen a colored gasket before

Posted By: mule323
Date Posted: 25-July-2011 at 3:12PM
Mine was tan on both sides. The molding does cover most of it on the outside so it wasn't very noticeable.

-------------
             (Steve)
73 G.T.S. Fastback, 351C, C6

Date Posted: 25-July-2011 at 3:26PM
I always thought it was a stupid idea. My white one would get mildew on the outside, and I would have to put a little bleach to kill the mildew.

-------------
1931 Model A
1937 Tudor Slantback
1966 427 Fairlane
1992 5.0 Mustang
2003 Mustang Mach I
2005 F-150

Date Posted: 26-July-2011 at 2:39AM
They are color keyed on both sides. I had to scrub mine thoroughly to get them to show their colors, but they did and looked pretty good. In retrospect, they probably had to do that in order to get the "finished" look on the inside, as the design made it show against the headliner. Guess I will be carefully removing mine from the '76 unless I decide to change colors.

-------------
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Date Posted: 26-July-2011 at 5:47AM
In the case of the rear glass weatherstip, the '73 GTS that I had sold to Jeff but ended up parting out due to not being able to ship, had the color keyed blue weatherstrip.

The ginger interior of the '73 sport sitting in Colorado at my buddy's place also was a ginger weatherstrip.
Issue becomes over time, the weatherstrips degrade and you need to replace them.

I'm thankful someone has the tooling to reproduce them!

-------------

Date Posted: 26-July-2011 at 5:59AM
One other note...I used to be someone that pissed and moaned and yelled alot...probably because I've mellowed out and become one-fifth less of an asshat as I age, but one of the long-standing guys, Tim, that was on the Yahoo Torino site, before the split off to the MSN site, had ordered white seat cover kit for his 72/73 GTS, and in his highly edited words to me, "The interior kit was complete f-ing garbage". He was out like $400-$500 and Dearborn sort of was like forget you for bad mouthing us like you did, we don't want your business any longer.
{Grant,the poor SOB died from a heart attack like 6 years ago, so it's a moot point now.}
Someone at Dearborn was a forum troll and after the guy tried to work things out, because he bad mouthed them to the degree, he got screwed over.
This was granted 8+ years ago, but one of the reasons I prefer to not go to the extreme.

-------------

Date Posted: 26-July-2011 at 6:38AM
well I looked at my gasket on my 72 GTS and it is in fact blue. I am switching to a black interior so there is no big deal for me as I want black and my gasket is split on both sides. I will worry about this down the road and hopefully by then they will have the problem resolved.
I never knew they had colored gaskets as my first 73 formal had blacinterior as well as the 73 formal I am parting out and the one on my 72 is kinda dark so I never noticed it was blue to I looked closer.
I really don't think it would matter much on cars with other colored interiors as you only see about an inch of gasket around the glass from the inside and most all other manufactures used Black gaskets as I am not aware of any that had colored one like Ford. Did alot of MOPAR restorations and they all had black gaskets.Guess back then Ford was trying to color coordinate everything to match.

Date Posted: 26-July-2011 at 9:15AM
Better Ideas Build Better Cars.

-------------
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Date Posted: 27-July-2011 at 4:13AM
Originally posted by 73 ProStreetTorino 73 ProStreetTorino wrote:

Well if they won't physically go out in the wharehouse open the box and check before sending it they won't correct the problem if the part numbers are wrong. So call and see if they can check both seals and send you which ever one is bigger

I asked them to do just that. And, I got another formal roof seal.

I'll call them today and return it. Then I'll wait for AutoKrafters to get some seals.

Ron

-------------
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses

Date Posted: 27-July-2011 at 4:28AM
Thanks for that Dennis Carpenter link. It should be:

http://www.dennis-carpenter.com/

Auto Krafters seems to say they can't get a fastback seal.

-------------
04 Ford Lightning
98 Mustang ITS SCCA #38
08 Buell Ulysses

Posted By: lynchster
Date Posted: 27-July-2011 at 2:29PM
Originally posted by Ron Earp Ron Earp wrote:

Odd that's where I got mine.
What company was it that just got sold?

Chuck

-------------
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"

Date Posted: 27-July-2011 at 2:33PM
Autokrafters told me 3-4 weeks before they will have them.

-------------

Posted By: stanman
Date Posted: 27-July-2011 at 3:40PM
Has anyone contacted Dennis Carpenter's directly, or are they wholesale only?

Posted By: gpd294
Date Posted: 27-July-2011 at 3:45PM
Dearborn Classics was picked up by Ecklers now. I haven't ordered anything from them recently though.

-------------
Carlos....1975 Gran Torino Squire Station Wagon restored to look like a 1973 Torino Station

Wagon my Dad bought new from McAnary Ford on June 6, 1973 in Gary,Indiana

Date Posted: 27-July-2011 at 3:57PM
Dennis Carpenter is the manufacturer of the weatherstripping and you can buy direct from him. He sells other parts too but his main business is Ford weatherstripping & Cushman parts

-------------
1931 Model A
1937 Tudor Slantback
1966 427 Fairlane
1992 5.0 Mustang
2003 Mustang Mach I
2005 F-150

Posted By: stanman
Date Posted: 27-July-2011 at 4:06PM
If I'm not mistaken there is an outlet (maybe the only one, IDK) on Route 29 just east of Charlotte Speedway in Concord, NC. I drove past it but didn't have time to stop and look around.

Date Posted: 28-July-2011 at 5:42AM

Not to get off track, but DC did at one time have the only source for factory shortbox Ford sheetmetal for F series trucks.

Back to topic, all you can do it wait it out I guess at this point.

-------------

Posted By: crispy23c
Date Posted: 05-September-2011 at 12:36PM

I've ordered two fast back rear window seals for my 72 from Dearborn. Neither fit, both seem like formal roof seals despite having the correct part number and all. Seem way too small and we don't think there is anyway they'd stretch over the window. Anyone else experience this?

I've returned the seals for a refund and they're looking into the situation. However, I need to get rolling on the window install so I can finish the car up. What other sources of rear window seals are there?

Ron

AAH!  I just got mine from Dearborn and my window is removed!  Say it ain't so!  Now I gotta go pre-fit it!!!

-------------
Chris P. '73 GTS FastBack 351CJ-4V Triple black

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark

Date Posted: 06-September-2011 at 5:47AM
Chris-
Just double check and see if the seal you have is correct.
The suppliers should have this issue fixed by now.

-------------

Date Posted: 06-September-2011 at 11:27AM
I just checked it, seems really tight, like I would have to stretch it 30-40%.  I am going to try it on the old window first (after cleaning). Glad I caught this thread!
Thanks!

-------------

Date Posted: 06-September-2011 at 1:18PM
GAHH....Dearborn (Eckler) shipped me the WRONG seal, it's for a coupe for sure.  Way too small.  Like everyone else here.  Recurring theme?  Looks like they haven't fixed their problem yet  Ouch

-------------

Posted By: kversch
Date Posted: 06-September-2011 at 2:50PM
well atleast it looks like i can go to dearborn for the rear window seal for our 72 since its a coupeLOL   but when it come time to do my 73 i might have a problem getting the right sealDisapprove

-------------
-kevin-
Brown 72 gran torino 351c 2v
Black 73 GTS FB 302
Red 73 GTS FB 351C C6 trans
73 GTS FB Parted
73 torino 4dr, 302, FMX parted
97 F250 crew cab 7.3 diesel

http://kverschtorino.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: 07-September-2011 at 2:34AM
Well, our '73 rear window does not leak and the gasket looks good, but we will be pulling it out once the restoration begins. I'll keep a close eye on this thread and grab the correct seal when someone finds a good source. Thanks!

-------------
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Date Posted: 07-September-2011 at 10:04AM

Thanks for that Dennis Carpenter link. It should be:

http://www.dennis-carpenter.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.dennis-carpenter.com

well looks like this is where to get the Sportroof gasket

Date Posted: 08-September-2011 at 2:46AM
For what it's worth, I called Dearborn (Eckler's) and told them the deal and that our GTS.Org members are experiencing the same issue of mil-labelled FB window seals.
They seem to be taking this seriously, and have authorized a stock check (where they verify the actual item's validity).  She called me later in the day to tell me this, and promised that someone will be notifying me within 24 hours with a resolution.
So there is hope!
I will keep you all informed of what goes down...
~Chris 

-------------

Date Posted: 09-September-2011 at 5:54AM
For what it's worth, I called Dennis Carpenter, and they are out of stock for 2-4 weeks on the seal.
I called Eckler's and they won't do anything until the part is in-house, then they will do a 'stock check' to verify that the parts are mislabeled.  Bottom line is, don't expect a response for at least a week from these guys  Confused
I went to ebay and found what looks to be the correct part# and description:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-73-TORINO-FASTBACK-REAR-GLASS-WEATHERSTRIP-GRAN-/260381314499?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3c9fef8dc3#ht_670wt_539" rel="nofollow - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-73-TORINO-FASTBACK-REAR-GLASS-WEATHERSTRIP-GRAN-/260381314499?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3c9fef8dc3#ht_670wt_539

So, I am going to call them and verify that they have no part issues, then order it from these guys.  Good times!

-------------

Date Posted: 09-September-2011 at 6:36AM
OK, no stock, but they are getting some in early next week.  
WOOHOO!

-------------

Date Posted: 09-September-2011 at 6:40AM

Amazing there is this much of a problem to get that seal.

-------------

Date Posted: 24-September-2011 at 1:25AM
Well, 
you guys are NOT going to believe this!
I called in an order to that ebay guy for the rear fastback window seal....he was supposed to get stock delivered last week AND - - -
I called him this week for a status update and guess what?????
It is the Carpenter piece and his delivery did not come in, so he called the supplier and other suppliers to see if he could get it
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AND- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Here is why you cannot get the piece:
The tooling is BROKEN.  
Estimated at 6 weeks before they start producing again  Confused  WHY, SANTA, WHY??????
Now, my Torino sits WINDOWLESS in my garage.  I feel like I will be lucky to get it back in by THANKSGIVING  Shocked
DAYUM!!!!!
Just a heads-up for all of you who are considering a new FB window seal.  OH, THE PAIN!!!!!
~Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 20-October-2011 at 12:39PM

Hey! Tongue  
Guess WHAT? Tongue  
I called Carpenter on Monday...they have 45 rear fastback seals Embarrassed in stock!  3 weeks early!!!  
I ordered mine..Tongue.got it TODAY, 3 days later and... Tongue   and..... Tongue  and... Tongue IT'S THE CORRECT SEAL!!!!!!  I quickie fitted it to the rear window and it looks GREAT!
Gonna order a spare LOL No, seriously.  
WOOHOOOO!!!!!!!
Any last minute tips for re-installing it? Shocked It's probably gonna happen this weekend
~Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 20-October-2011 at 1:29PM
LOL...Chris, good news.

As far as installing. Yes.
Call an experienced glass guy.

I spent ~2 hours fighting, slapping and cussing.

All things aside, there was some debate about the best ways to install, have not looked in this thread recently. Trying to dig through the FoMoCo service CD I have on my Imac, but not finding what I need.
Found for door glass, front glass, and back glass, but for cars with the butyl seal, not the weatherstrip seal.

-------------

Date Posted: 20-October-2011 at 7:48PM
sorry had technically issues with my mobile and could not post anythingI managed to get the word Help to show but could not edit after that.
I don't need any help myself as I have installed glass in car at the bodyshops more then once and can do it all myself and the rubber gasket type is the easiest as it only takes rope to install them and some sealer on the metal flange so the gasket does not leak water between it and let water sit in there and rot the lip off.

Posted By: madmaxtorino
Date Posted: 21-October-2011 at 2:28PM
what kind of help do you need 911 would be faster

-------------
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.

Date Posted: 22-October-2011 at 1:56PM
I think Jeff is also looking for guidance on installing the fastback window gasket?
I know I reviewed the shop manual and it left a LOT to be desired.
Do I lay down the adhesive on the metal first, let it get tacky, lay the window on there and use the string trick to pull the weatherstrip around to the inside?  It looks like it has to set up and get tacky first,but I wonder if using the rope will disturb the sealer when I pull it through...
Also, a question of the weatherstrip on the body at the bottom.  Can that keep water out, or should I lay down a thin amount of adhesive along it to keep water out?
Not making a move until i definitively find out...and winter is coming.
The wife may actually kill me for giving her car the boot!  Then you guys will be sorry!  ...or REAL happy!!!   LOL
~Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 23-October-2011 at 8:14AM
Ok,ok,ok! Rear window went into Torino Beast in about an hour. After 24 hours of thinking
Not so bad. Here is what I did:
1) Thoroughly cleaned then trial fitted rubber around window. Put window in sun to soften up rubber
2) Pulled rubber mostly off of window lip and put glazing compound around seal on the OUTSIDE near the edge of the window (so it wouldn't show around rubber seal when I put it back on, but will hold out water;
3) Cleaned ridge on the body near bottom of window with denatured alcohol and mounted foam tape
4) Used a lot of WD-40 in lip in between where metal body would sit, and tied rope so it is centered at the bottom of the window
5) Slid window into position, pushing it upward as much as possible. There is a narrow strip of metal that is exposed (right next to the foam) that I put a bead of window seal on to insure no water would get in (I HOPE), then used cloth-wrapped flat-edge screwdriver to push lower gasket tabs down into passenger compartment, then pushed window AWAY from edge. This gave me the gap I needed to slide tube applicator in and under top of seal;
6) I had my lovely assistant (wife) help me pull the rope, SLOWLY pulling rope INWARD and DOWN toward center of tray shelf. This gets the gasket to seat properly on the metal pinch weld. While she was doing that, I was applying the adhesive, RIGHT BEHIND where she was pulling the rope, so as the gasket was falling into place the glue was being applied
7) worked to the top 1/2 of the window, then stopped and re-started at the bottom of the passenger side, first pushing in the rubber tab at the bottom of the seal. Make sure you shift the window towards the driver's side (about a 1/4" works), so you can slip the applicator tip in and under the seal again;
8) Worked towards center, top of window, following closely behind rope (again) until the seal was at the middle, making sure to stay right behind the rope so the seal wouldn't close before I put in the sealer;
9) re-centered the window by pushing it around until all gape were pretty equal

Sounds more complicated than it is, I think that thinking it through for a day really helped. Letting it set up for a couple of days then I will water test it (Fingers crossed!), but the sealer is poking out from the rubber all around, and it looks nice and uniform, I hope this helps others in their quest for a new window seal!!!!   Here are some pics...

Here is a pic of the rope being pulled by my patient wife  Wink  The hardest parts are the corners at the top of the window. Pushing in the tab before pulling the rope REALLY saved a lot of hassle and held the window in correct position!  I am on the outside applying mild pressure to align the window before she pulls the rope, then following behind the rope CLOSELY to get the sealer under where the gasket will settle.  You can see the glue under the word 'panel' in my picture, and YES, the seal settled right on the glue!!!!  Saved a TON of time

Here is a pic of (roughly) where I tied the 1/4 nylon rope, working it in between the lips of the seal (after WD-40-ing inside the 2 lips. Rope goes all around the window and is tied off on the inside of the window so it can be pulled inward. The upper right hand corner of the window molding is fine, it's just a reflection

Oh, I also used painter's tape to hold defrost cables in place so they wouldn't get in the way or stressed on the solder points

Finally, here is the window installed. I have all the harnesses I need (THANK YOU ALAN for all the help at the junkyard in Maine the other day, I needed missing a 3' piece of defrost cable & connector, so we went there together and found one!

-------------

Posted By: bluecollar
Date Posted: 12-November-2011 at 5:59AM
Wishing i had seen this thread earlier :( ordered real window seal from dearborn for my 73 formal roof........and im sure everyone can guess.......i received one for fastback!!!!! Doh one look at it in package and i knew it was not right! called dearborn and they admitted they had a problem but it was the people they were getting it from part # correct for formal roof  but packaged wrong...they told me to send it back for refund but they could not get me the correct seal i need quite the piss off considering i ordered the whole weatherstrip kit and live in Canada! anyways if anyone has a formal roof seal and would want to trade? or if anyone needs a fastback window seal and does not want to go through the hassles let me know i have 25 days left to return!
CheersBeer

-------------
Git-R-Done

Date Posted: 12-November-2011 at 8:30AM
Chris thanks for the photos and the detailed intructions on the instalation. I am gonna copy and post it in the How to section for future refence for others who need to install thier back glass

I already have done this instalation process in many classic cars over the years as I work in the auto body industry and do classic car restorations but this will help the DIY( Do It Yourself)
guys that want to save money and tackle the job themselves.

I also combined all your instructions & photos under one post so when I had it all combined it made it easier to copy the complete instructions with your detailed photos

Thanks again Chris

Date Posted: 21-November-2011 at 1:41PM
On a final note, I water tested it the first time an had minor leaks.  I ended up putting sealer in the channel and using the handle of a hobby paint brush to smooth it out.  This worked GREAT.
Did the hose test this weekend and it is totally waterproof!!!
Hooked up the defrost cable and light and *BAM* it works PERFECTLY!  This thing gets HOT!!!
So I am VERY pleased with the results, it went about as good as it could have.
Big THANK YOU to all that helped me figure it all out!!!
On to the next thing...

~Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 23-November-2011 at 8:16AM
yes I would suggest putting the sealer on the outside lip or see if you can work some in with the caulk tube and some nylon tools to lift the gasket slightly and get the sealer between the gasket and metal lip that is what keeps the water seeping between the gasket and seals the water from getting inside

Posted By: 75GranMan
Date Posted: 08-May-2012 at 10:58AM
WTF! So  I order a rear window gasket for my 75 formal roof,from auto Krafters.Part #D2OZ-6542084-D. Way to big for formal roof,must be a fastback gasket,packaged 10/18/11 manufactured by Dennis Carpenter.I guess they still have a problem.WTF,I need a formal roof gasket,Does anybody have a contact name at carpenter that they have dicussed this problem with?krafters suggested I contact Carpenters to find an answer.Will post pic later of window gaskets, Later.Thanks John

-------------
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!

Date Posted: 08-May-2012 at 1:17PM
just order the fastback seal and you will get the formal roof gasket.
They got them backwards and guess they still haven't corrected the situation

Date Posted: 08-May-2012 at 3:04PM
Auto krafters says that don't have a listing for the fastback gasket any longer and(because it was the wrong gasket)they stopped selling it. Cammi ,the girl  at Auto Krafters,that originally took my order said that they have sold close to 150 formal D2OZ-6542084-D gaskets and only 3 were returned. I emailed auto krafters these pix.
I'll return the auto krafter gasket.contact Dennis carpenter directly and try to get the story.Talk about beating a dead horse!!!anybody have a new formal roof gasket to sell or trade for a fastback gasket?

-------------
John 75Gran Torino 4spd

Date Posted: 20-May-2012 at 2:25PM

I called Dennis carpeter and they admitted that there was a problem before with gaskets being packaged incorrectly,(they supply krafters their gaskets).krafters probably had one of the problem gaskets still on their shelf.Carpenter said that they would ship out the correct gasket to me NO CHARGE,I didn't even purchase from them and their gonna make good for it,Thats great customer service.I recieved their gasket and it looks good.Clap

-------------
John 75Gran Torino 4spd

Date Posted: 21-May-2012 at 12:39AM
did yoy return the sportroof gasket?
I need to buy one

Date Posted: 21-May-2012 at 1:56PM

Jeff.yes i returned the gasket.If I would have know,I would have brought it down to you when I pick-up the project hood.Sorry.when you do get one order it from Carpenter,their suppling krafters with their gasket and probably dearborn but I'm not positive on that.

-------------
John 75Gran Torino 4spd

Date Posted: 21-May-2012 at 2:49PM
yah no big deal just figured if you still had it i would take it off your hands
i'm no rush to order one,just figured if you had it I could buy it  and save you the hassle of returning it

Posted By: carguy47
Date Posted: 24-May-2012 at 3:46AM
I am in the same boat as Jeff. I need to purchase one as well. It scars me to think that I will probably be commenting in the future about the same issue. Angry  There was a guy I met at Goodguys Scottsdale that had his glass guy use two seals to make one that fit. It did look good. Just don't know that I want to go that route.

-------------
You have to build em to drive em!

Date Posted: 24-May-2012 at 2:30PM
At my job with the CT State Police,we use Payless auto glass for our glass work,One of there installers said that Payless can supply the correct gasket for our applications.Since I had gotten my own gasket,he said he would assist me with the install.with My friend/bodyguy still not feeling well,I'll probably take hime up on the offer as its a 2 person job,Iwonder if anyone as tried using a glass company for the install of rear glass using their gasket.It would be worth a call ,thats for sure.

-------------
John 75Gran Torino 4spd

Date Posted: 24-May-2012 at 11:58PM
I install the back glass myself and it don't take 2 people,just myself and some 1/4 inch rope and
it goes right in.Never used another person even when it was a windshield with rubber gasket
John they are easy just make sure you use sealer or bedding compound under the gasket to seal from leaking

Date Posted: 25-May-2012 at 12:33PM
Jeff,yes I know that the glass can be installed by one person,I've installed alot, from heavy equipment glass,butyl in glass,with so much time invested on this car it would be just plain stupid not to have an extra set of experienced hands.don't you think?

-------------
John 75Gran Torino 4spd

Date Posted: 05-August-2012 at 3:53PM
DeadDead Guess what guys? The FUBAR continues with bot Dearborn, Carpenter and Autokrafters. I ordered a fastback seal from all three and each time I was sent a formal top or they called me a week later and said they could find it in their stock and had to credit my card. I even told each one of them and mentioned this forum and they said they "never heard of such a thing" and "we corrected the problem" and "of course it will fit a fastback, that 's what the number says".
Now I have a formal top rear window seal to send back. Anyone need one before I do this??

By the way, I even measured the stupid thing and called each tech department stating I needed them to measure the seal and it should be near 12.5 feet long.  "Well, we don't have one that long!"  NO KIDDING Shocked. "But the fastback one is here in the bag, according to the number". Boy, I guess they just don't get it.

OK..enough of the ranting. Anyone find a reputable supplier with a fastback seal?? The search continues.Ouch

-------------

Posted By: robot9000
Date Posted: 10-August-2012 at 8:00AM
Odd, I ordered the fastback seal from DBC and it looks right (seems to fit the outline of the window, but I have not pulled it yet.  I even mentioned the problems others have had when I ordered on line.

-------------
1973 Gran Torino Sport
2010 Mazda 6
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2011 Damon Daybreak 35BD

Date Posted: 10-August-2012 at 8:27AM
I have read this with interest, as I have a Sportroof that I will be replacing the roof on. Obviously, the glass will have to be removed (F & R), so I'll make sure to confirm the new gasket application. Many thanks, and I will be rounding up an extra set of hands for the job.

-------------
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1972 Torino 460
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Date Posted: 12-August-2012 at 12:08PM
DBC says they do not have any of the fastback seals. I just sent the one back they sent me. Way too short. It was marked fastback seal and what came was a formal top. Like I mentioned, it should be around 12.5 feet long. You might want to measure it.

-------------

Posted By: Regul8r
Date Posted: 27-August-2014 at 4:05PM
bringing this back to the top.

-------------
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Posted By: 73torino gt
Date Posted: 28-August-2014 at 3:07AM
Same problem here for a 73 formal,3 inches to big at the top bottom fits good though.wrong part from 2 different companies.macs and dennis carpenter my inside measurements is 127,they say 130.

Posted By: Ranchero Fan
Date Posted: 28-August-2014 at 3:36AM
There was recent discussion on Ranchero.us with rear window rubber from Dearborn classics, being too long also. The person rec'd the correct one from Steel Rubber Prod., maybe give them a look or call. I never used them myself, so can't say they're your answer.

-------------
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''

Posted By: jharley79
Date Posted: 03-November-2014 at 7:57AM
I recently ordered the following rear window seal from Dennis Carpenter for my 1972 sport fastback.
ItemQtyPriceTotal
Rear Window Seal
Item # D20Z-6342084-D
1$70.00$70.00

It is the correct seal for the fastback.
Quick shipping, good price, no problems.
here is the website http://dennis-carpenter.com/rear-window-seal/p/D20Z-6342084-D/" rel="nofollow - http://dennis-carpenter.com/rear-window-seal/p/D20Z-6342084-D/

Posted By: BackInBlack
Date Posted: 09-May-2016 at 9:44AM
FYI...
For 72/73 fastback rear window seal; body code 63R

No luck with Dennis Carpenter for a 72/73 Rear window seal;  704-786-8139

No luck from Metro Rubber; 800-878-2237

Only place I found is from Steele Rubber
http://www.steelerubber.com/rear-window-gasket-20-1212-81" rel="nofollow - http://www.steelerubber.com/rear-window-gasket-20-1212-81

-John

-------------
-John
1973 GTS

Posted By: 72FordGTS
Date Posted: 11-May-2016 at 9:48AM
John, have you installed this to confirm it actually fits?  I assume it only comes in black, not colour matched to the interior like OEM?

-------------
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Posted By: BackInBlack
Date Posted: 11-May-2016 at 10:08AM
I have not...   I'm getting ready to start paint prep and strip it down.   I'm going to buy all the weather stripping first before starting to make sure it all fits and is correct.

I replaced my rear seal years ago because it leaked and search the USA for the part.   This took me months...none to be found for a fastback.  I eventually found one at Dennis Carpenter where it had dropped behind a shelf.   I bought it on the spot.   I swear it was the last one in the nation.   

I called Steele Rubber and had the support guy walk through the body and spec codes to make sure it was good for the fastback.   I plan to buy it soon and yes to my knowledge only black. 

PS in the past everytime I ordered a fastback rear window seal the supplier would send me the sedan rear seal.  Wow was that a pain.  They would often refuse to pay for shipping as well.   What an awful experience.

-------------
-John
1973 GTS

Posted By: 72FordGTS
Date Posted: 12-May-2016 at 3:53PM
Does it only come in black?

Please post an update when you do get it installed.  I may have to replace mine when I get the funds to do a decent paint job on my car. 

-------------
Vince

1972 Ford GTS Sportsroof - Survivor, One Family car

GTS.org Admin

Posted By: GoldFinger
Date Posted: 12-May-2016 at 4:01PM
This is quite an interesting thread!
I have a brand new headliner still rolled up because I read that the glass needs to be taken out...Did I read correctly?
I was waiting so I can buy the weather-stripping I need because all of mine need replacing including the back glass weather-stripping of course...

-------------
DARE to be DIFFERENT!!
       73 GTS

Posted By: californiajohnny
Date Posted: 12-May-2016 at 5:18PM
yes the headliner is glued over the lip for the seal

-------------
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Posted By: Torino_Chris
Date Posted: 27-May-2021 at 12:40AM
I have a question for you guys. My rear window leaks and it seems kind of risky for me to pull the glass out and reinstall it with a new gasket. Reason being that if anything breaks, like the trim around the glass or worst case the glass itself it will be almost impossible to find a replacement over here.
So I wonder if it might be possible to use this Butyl that was mentioned in the thread from the outside to seal the gasket back up? I'm thinking similar to the way you would seal a window in your house with acrylic/silicone if you know what I mean.

Seems a bit out there, what do you think? Geek

-------------
1988 Porsche 944
http://bit.ly/2hzTcXc" rel="nofollow - 1973 Gran Torino Sport Sportsroof 400cui
My website: www.chrisherbphoto.com

Posted By: 72 RS 351
Date Posted: 27-May-2021 at 3:31AM
I agree that R&Ring the rear or front glass is risky. I would only let someone do it that I knew was very good at it.

That being said, it's common for any fixed window to have a water leak, the seals get very hard over 10-20 years. I have carefully smeared Ultra Black RTV along the top edge of three of my SUV's rear quarter glass windows.

If you could get at the entire interior glass perimeter, you could seal that up from the inside, and not be visible. On the outside you might choose to carefully tape along the outer seal, and then apply a thin coat of RTV. I like the Ultra Black etc, because it can take any kinds of weather or sun, and last forever. I have it on my house chimney to seal cracks in that cement, it's held for 15+ years so far.

-------------
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W

Posted By: lynchster
Date Posted: 02-June-2021 at 1:38PM
Easiest way to remove the rear glass (after getting the trim off) is to just cut the top lip of the weatherstrip off. Glass lifts right out. 
I've done it once already but now that I'm just about ready to install the trim I might cut it out again. It seems to sit lower on one side. Now or never. 

-------------
Chuck
72 Gran Torino Sport
13 Taurus SHO "Mr Pig"

Posted By: 72 RS 351
Date Posted: 02-June-2021 at 3:01PM
Originally posted by lynchster lynchster wrote:

Easiest way to remove the rear glass (after getting the trim off) is to just cut the top lip of the weatherstrip off. Glass lifts right out. 
I've done it once already but now that I'm just about ready to install the trim I might cut it out again. It seems to sit lower on one side. Now or never. 

Ah, very good, so they just used the old molded seals, not the sealant like today has urethane on front and back glass.

-------------
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net