Print Page | Close Window

? on Fender liner installation

Printed From: The Ford Torino Page
Category: General Discussion
Forum Name: Auto Body Forum
Forum Description: Discussion of anything related to body, paint and metal work/restoration
URL: https://forum.grantorinosport.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=7163
Printed Date: 28-March-2024 at 2:36AM
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: ? on Fender liner installation
Posted By: robot9000
Subject: ? on Fender liner installation
Date Posted: 13-April-2012 at 12:01PM
Hi,
I'm Pat and I bought Spoiler II's 73 GTS !!

The guys that started the project removed the inner fender liners and I have a set of NOS that Chris included.  My question is, does anyone know where I can find an exploded view of the front clip so I have some guidance as to how the liners go back in?  I'm gong to remove the passenger fender/brace to see if I can get it installed but any help with fastners or a link to an view would be really great !!

I had a 74 formal roof in high school with the straight 6 so the Fastback has me really excited !!

Thanks !!!

Replies:
Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 13-April-2012 at 3:25PM
First paint those inner fenders as that is only a primer to protect the metal from rusting.
To restore to OEM use Chassis black. scuff them with some 320 grit and paint them first or they will start rusting later
http://www.eastwood.com/chassis-black" rel="nofollow - http://www.eastwood.com/chassis-black

they are not hard to install just jack the car up put jack stands under the frame rail not the suspension and remove the front wheels.There are big round washers on the bolts that go to the firewall.there will be body clips along the edges of the fenders for the bolts to screw into.
They also bolt to the radiator support.hopefully the bolts and hardware are with the car

Date Posted: 13-April-2012 at 3:43PM
Thanks, I have the existing fender and fender support out and it does seem a bit easier as I can see what holes line up and what doesn't.  I am going to get the  fender and inner fender painted like you mention.  I have also found a little rust I need to grind down and then coat too. The previous guys got a the inside of the fender coated with some Por 15 so I want to coat the whole thing to make sure I keep any rust at bay.  The good news is the fenders are in great shape, so I don't think I will need to replace anything there.

I do not have the hardware, unfortunately.  There are some threaded inserts that fit existing bolts, so I can get more of those, but one question.  Where can I find the body clips for the edge of the fender you mention? Is there a common name for these I can use to find at a fastener place (we have Fasteners Inc. in the Detroit area that carries a ton of stuff like that).  Maybe I can get one off the front clip area and match that.  A bit of a puzzle, but its all good.

Thanks !

Date Posted: 13-April-2012 at 4:47PM
J clip is what they are called.
let me know I kept the hardware from the 73 I parted out, have the bolts and the big washers they just need to be cleaned up

Posted By: Harris72GTS
Date Posted: 14-April-2012 at 5:03AM
I bought these clips and fender bolts for my 72GTS at Tradesmen Fastener &  Tool Inc in Redford, Mi. The address is 25136 Five Mile Rd., 48239. I was also in a NAPA store yesterday and noticed them. If you are close to Plymouth I have some extra j-clips and bolts you can have. 

-------------

Don
'72 GTS fastback

'68 Cougar GT

'09 Challenger R/T

Date Posted: 14-April-2012 at 12:15PM
Thanks for the suggestions.  I am not too far from Redford (Farmington HIlls), but ended up going to NPD this morning and getting a set of J clips and bolts out of there.  Now that I have the fender off, there is rust I'm working on on the firewall that I need to fix before I bolt it all together.

Posted By: Dan the ranchero man
Date Posted: 14-April-2012 at 3:47PM
I have had many of these apart and have found that taking the fenders off will make the job easier. The inner fender well edge sit "on top" of the inner edge of the fender. Your "J" clips will be mounted on your inner fender.  The 1/4 20 bolt will go through the hole in the fender them into the J clip. You have two bolts in the front of the well that mount to the core support then two more inside front (engine bay side near rad) that are also part of the core support (all are 1/4 20). There are three with large washers that mount to the fender (top of well from inside) frame. and then the the two that mount to the bracket off the fire wall. Get the well mounted using the firewall and the core support mounting bolts (put them in finger tight so you can move when needed) them remount your fender. 

Date Posted: 14-April-2012 at 7:09PM
Awesome Dan, thanks for the info !! I have the large washers for the top and the firewall and hope to get that all together early next week.

Another questions - I don't have AC so I have the vent with the cable that allows fresh air in the vent.  My cable comes out the side in front of the door and there is nothing to connect to.  What mechanism was used to regulate the air into the vent?  Again, since I didn't take it apart, I have no idea how this worked, although I'm sure there is an eBay search for some obscure part in my future ;-)

Thanks again !

Date Posted: 15-April-2012 at 4:34AM
well i'm not doing it now but eventually I am switching from non air to A/C dash so I won't be using the fresh air vent system so if you hav troubles locating what you need let me know but I'm not currently planning on removing the dash to remove any of the old stuff and my car has the fenders and door on so not sure how much an issue it would be to remove what is needed with everything still on the car.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net