Print Page | Close Window

2004 Crown Vic odd problem

Printed From: The Ford Torino Page
Category: Model Specific Forum
Forum Name: General Automotive Technical Discussion
Forum Description: Technical Automotive discussion of anything not specific to mid-size Ford/Merc
URL: https://forum.grantorinosport.org/forum_posts.asp?TID=8498
Printed Date: 28-March-2024 at 5:02AM
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2004 Crown Vic odd problem
Posted By: fordnmerc
Subject: 2004 Crown Vic odd problem
Date Posted: 26-January-2013 at 7:23PM
Been a while. Been very busy with my old Toro mowers. Got a garage full of them now to work on. Big smile

Anyhow, the 2004 Crown Vic is acting funny these days. It has less than 26,000 miles on it. I had it out to Oregon and back in October and it was just fine the whole way. Matter of fact, out in Nebraska there was one stretch where there was a whole line of drivers messing with one another. During a lull in the nonsense, I seized the opportunity and passed all of them. When I glanced down at the speedometer it was at 107. Embarrassed In the last few weeks, occasionally while stopped in traffic and at idle it will act as if there is a momentary interruption in the fuel flow. It will run rough and shake for a second and then it will immediately recover on its own and act perfectly normal again. This is so far very sporadic and unpredictable and can go quite a while between occurrences of these spasms. A new fuel filter has made no difference.

Any ideas? I'm really scratching my head over this one. Thanks.

-------------
David

Replies:
Posted By: unlovedford
Date Posted: 27-January-2013 at 2:49AM
4.6 coil breakdown on 1 or more cyl, bad fuel pressure regulator, weak pump could all be a reason. Bad tank of fuel?

-------------
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)

Date Posted: 27-January-2013 at 4:57AM
Originally posted by unlovedford unlovedford wrote:

4.6 coil breakdown on 1 or more cyl, bad fuel pressure regulator, weak pump could all be a reason. Bad tank of fuel?

Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll do the fuel pump next. Sometimes, those
basic possibilities just escape you for a moment until you get someone
else's input. Thumbs Up

-------------
David

Posted By: Robbdtme
Date Posted: 27-January-2013 at 5:39AM
Why not get the codes read. Coil pack misfire will have codes stored with which ones misfired. The coils are troublesome but your mileage is really low yet...

Being intermittant Maybe check the fuel pump relay make sure the contacts on it are clean.

-------------
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.

Posted By: madmaxtorino
Date Posted: 27-January-2013 at 6:27AM
egr sticking will cause problem like that.

-------------
Allan
Revelation 6:8
When there is no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the Earth.

Posted By: Regul8r
Date Posted: 27-January-2013 at 9:04AM
O'Reilly's will read your codes for free and then print you a diagnostic paper with a by the #s step sheet what to do first and why.

-------------
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Posted By: 75GranMan
Date Posted: 27-January-2013 at 9:56AM

Like the guys said get the codes read.if the check engine light is not on.look for pending codes.the problem might not be constant enough to set the light.the coils like to fail as mentioned before.any one of a hundred things could cause this to happen.a common thing I've seen also is check the intake for coolant leak at the heater hose connection,had the manifold leaking coolant and short the coil.not saying thats your problem.but do a good visual,as you may find the cause just by looking real good.

-------------
John 75Gran Torino 4spd
Tighten it down until it snaps and then back it off a half turn!

Date Posted: 27-January-2013 at 11:48AM
Actually that just refreshed my memory, Those did have a problem with a coolant leak onto some coil packs. They never recalled it but ford had a notice on it.

-------------
Johnny cash Special 74-75-76 freak. 77 XR7. 78 LTD II sport looks pretty but poop 302 in it.

Posted By: Ranchero Fan
Date Posted: 27-January-2013 at 12:28PM
Good suggestions. One other thing as the car obviously sits a lot, mice chewing on any wires?

-------------
Brian   1973 Ford Ranchero Big Block. ''THE OTHER WOMAN''

Posted By: Eliteman76
Date Posted: 27-January-2013 at 1:46PM
I've been dealing with an issue on my 95 F series.
Truck occasionally goes into limp mode, and only fix has been to hammer it into floor and then the truck runs fine.

I've been meaning to take it in...have the codes run by a shop.

I tried running the deal at Orielly's, but had too many issues.

I know it's due for an O2 sensor, but also had a code for a purge canister valve, which was already replaced.

*edit*

With that being said, I chased my tail, fuel pumps were swapped, and ultimately, nada.

I'd say, bite the bullet and get it checked out.

-------------
Andrew:GTS.ORG admin, '72 Q code 5 speed Restomod
Pondering: #99Problems

Date Posted: 27-January-2013 at 2:13PM
Eliteman, Does yours stumble a little holding a steady speed somewhere in the 50-60 mph area?  Mine did and the egr valve was sticking. Matting it to the boards would correct it for a bit. Coil was weak also would sometimes start hard.

-------------

Posted By: Mark S.
Date Posted: 27-January-2013 at 2:26PM
My '03 Grand Marquis had the same problem and it was the leaking intake manifold issue. Def. check that out.

-------------
Mark
1977 Ltd II "Eltee"
1984 Mustang ragtop
2004 Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition
71 Torino GT 429CJ (sold too many years ago to count...)

Date Posted: 28-January-2013 at 6:57AM
Great stuff, guys, thanks. I will definitely check out that leak possibility.

I'm thinking about just selling it off and getting an older car and pocketing
the difference. The power locks are starting to be troublesome, the windows
will probably be next, and I'm just getting super weary of these newer
vehicles and all of the hassles with gadgets and electronics and crap. All
of the extended warranties are gone now, so it may be time to just get
rid of it before anything else goes wrong and the expenses just start mounting
up.

-------------
David

Date Posted: 28-January-2013 at 6:39PM
I was told mass air flow sensor on my truck...tap on it a few times, see if the engine acts up.
I have a minor intake leak, I get a bit of antifreeze pooling on the top of the timing chain cover on the 302.
Personally, I want a crown vic, a t56, and some 4.11's for a daily driver.
I paid $600 for my 95, wrecked in the front left, but ac works, 4x4 is good, and runs decent.

-------------

Date Posted: 28-January-2013 at 8:00PM
Anyone who makes a respectable offer can buy the car. It has the mentioned issue, I would also replace the starter, the rear power lock buttons sometimes need to be pressed more than once to activate as of now, and the shocks squeak. That's it. Just minor stuff at the moment, but I am down on the newer cars and want to get back to an older car. I really miss them.

Tires are 4 new Michelin Symmetry. This is a Standard, not an LX and not a stripped 'S'. Seats are cloth, not leather. All power gadgets including driver's seat. Keyless entry and CD. Full wheel covers. Looks like an unmarked and is often mistaken for one. I have been behind people at times and they have actually pulled off to the side of the road. Guilty consciences, I guess. LOL

The interesting thing is that it's one of the last to come from the factory without the anti-lock brake system.

It may be 224hp and single exhaust, but it will definitely get out there and move. Even at the above-mentioned 107mph jaunt, there was still power left.

-------------
David

Date Posted: 29-January-2013 at 4:50AM
Forgot to mention that it has never really just completely sat. It has been driven at least once every week since new....maybe not long distances, but it was the weekly grocery-getter for my mother.

-------------
David

Date Posted: 29-January-2013 at 5:52AM
See, this is the mix, I'm torn.
I found a 78 XR7 cougar I'm seriously thinking of buying with a shelled 351W.

With Carl coming up with his 72, he's bringing me a engine and some parts, 351w, so I may end up buying that car, get it running, and use it for a driver and have some fun.

Cheap, junk yard project Smile.

As much as I'd love a CV...I want an CVPI, frame is reinforced...and the bigger brakes, etc.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-January-2013 at 8:21AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

See, this is the mix, I'm torn.
I found a 78 XR7 cougar I'm seriously thinking of buying with a shelled 351W.

With Carl coming up with his 72, he's bringing me a engine and some parts, 351w, so I may end up buying that car, get it running, and use it for a driver and have some fun.

Cheap, junk yard project Smile.

As much as I'd love a CV...I want an CVPI, frame is reinforced...and the bigger brakes, etc.

I get that. Had a 98 CVPI about 10 years ago and it was fun, no doubt about it.

There's a white Cougar on ebay that's about 35 miles from here and if my
circumstances would fit a second car at the moment I would definitely be on it.
Green interior, with that padded instrument cluster bezel that I really dig.

-------------
David

Date Posted: 29-January-2013 at 10:50AM
Yeah. Right now, there is a 78 xr7 I'm debating on. Overall, clean car. Blown 351w. Search Omaha, ne cl and punch in 1978 mercury cougar.
Thinking of doing an engine swap...but man, no resale value.

-------------

Date Posted: 29-January-2013 at 11:13AM
Originally posted by Eliteman76 Eliteman76 wrote:

Yeah. Right now, there is a 78 xr7 I'm debating on. Overall, clean car. Blown 351w. Search Omaha, ne cl and punch in 1978 mercury cougar.
Thinking of doing an engine swap...but man, no resale value.

Hey yeah, that looks pretty nice. You really don't see many in that one color alone....
more of them seem to have come in the tu-tone midnight combo.

-------------
David

Posted By: Regul8r
Date Posted: 29-January-2013 at 2:50PM
Andy, you are gonna ROCK that Cougar!

Will load ALL the 351W stuff I have and bring it with me Sunday.
Tranny (FMX) coming with it!

Complete engine, HEI Dist, Full Gasket set, Re-ring/bearing kit, oil pump, fuel pump, timing chain

-------------
Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.06 - https://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2023 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net