The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > Starsky & Hutch
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project TV 2M8O

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2022 at 1:47PM
CJ,, the new lock cylinders came with new levers but you have to scrap the new ones and reuse the originals...

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
1976 Gran Torino S&H season 2-4 Clone
Project Blog: http://tv2m8o.blogspot.com/
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2022 at 6:08PM
 oh ok i thought you had me out there in the dark trying to remove that stuff for nothing Confused
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2022 at 3:02AM
Well as the month of July closes out, more progress has been made on the ole girl.

I finished creating the sleeves for the power lock actuators and got them wrapped up....

and dropped off all the door interior parts and glass to the guys at the body shop.

When I was there dropping off the door bits, they had finished blocking and priming the exterior surface of the doors.....

shot a first coat of red on the hinge posts....

and had started blocking and priming the driver front fender.

I stopped in again mid-week were they had primed the interior face of the passenger door.....

and had stripped the paint from the driver door in preparation for primer.

The weekend of the 16th I popped in again and they had both doors primed and ready to hang....

and had started working the passenger side fender.

Stopped in on Monday the 25th and they had both fenders worked and primed both side and ready to hang once the doors are hung, assembled and adjusted....

Will need to add the trim and emblem holes to the driver side fender before the color gets applied.

This past weekend, July 30th run by and they had hung both doors!!

Bill said they will shoot the inside of the doors with Lizardskin and once it's dry, they'll install the inside pieces of the doors and get them adjusted. Once that's completed, they'll work the top of the cowl, lower portions of the A pillars and then mask off the areas of the firewall and cowl sides that stay black and shoot it with a coat of 2B red before hanging the front fenders.

They are kicking ass on this project and I'd bet she'll be wearing her colors by the end of August... FINGERS CROSSED!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 31-July-2022 at 3:28AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
handsofstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2022 at 3:12AM
Looks like you found the right place to get it done. Excellent.
72 RS 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72 RS 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2022 at 3:31AM
Great progress there, I'm sure you are very happy with that new shop now. Keep enjoying that progress.
Don
73 Ranchero "Sport 72 front end", floor shift/console, planning EFI 7000+ rpm 351-4V &4R70W
73 Ranchero GT 351C-4V &4R70W for sale later.
92 Lincoln Mark VII SE GTC, OBDII 347/4R70W
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2022 at 5:05AM
Looking great! 
Steve M.
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2022 at 11:40AM
Great progress and cool to see the photos.

Keep us posted!

-Chris

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2022 at 7:31AM
Well Saturday I worked at the bodyshop reinstalling the wiring harnesses, electrical components, a mini fuel tank and a new battery and after being neglected and left for dead for the last two and a half years at the former "shop" (I really hesitate to use that term due to the care they took with protecting what I had done prior to delivery and their assurances that they would keep it safe and looking like it had when delivered. Angry) I filled the fuel bowls of the carb and hit the key....

and POW, she roared back to life! When she lit off, it sent a little field mouse scurrying away to a safer place! LOL LOL don't know where he was hiding but I'm sure he'll think twice about taking up residence around the engine! Noticed the fuel return line from the fuel pump was leaking so I'll need to pick up a fresh piece of rubber fuel line to replace the old one. I'm also hopeful they can blow off the cobwebs and power wash the engine to blast away all the crud that has accumulated on the engine to save me a little bit of rework!Unhappy

I also discovered that Eric (their master bodyman) had reworked the leading edge of the driver side quarter panel to better align with the trailing edge of the door for a more uniform door gap.

She slowly coming together and eager to see the next batch of sheetmetal hung!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2022 at 8:44AM
Great job Joe!  I saw the video - great to hear the engine running smoothly!

-Chris
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2022 at 9:48AM
OK, can someone tell me why the posting rotated my pictures and how I can correctly orient them??

THANKS

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2022 at 9:56AM
Originally posted by TV 2M8O TV 2M8O wrote:

I'm also hopeful they can blow off the cobwebs and power wash the engine to blast away all the crud that has accumulated on the engine to save me a little bit of rework!Unhappy

i wouldn't risk contaminating the body surface at this point
72 GT Ute

TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2022 at 1:54AM

WOW, been over two months since my last update!! Let's see if I can bring everything up to date....

In mid August, I popped into the bodyshop and Eric had started repairing the underside of the hood nose where it had been banged out of shape for clearance of something in the past as well as along the side rails of the hood....

When I stopped the following Saturday to replace the leaking fuel line, he was prepping the underside to prime so he could flip it over and start removing the mess of filler the previous shop had gobbed onto the top side for whatever reason (the hood wasn't really that bad prior to them working out some palm depressions along the nose of the hood???). He sent me pictures later that afternoon showing the hood prepped and primed...

Then I had a month long hiatus due to having a detached retina repaired. Once I was cleared by my eye doctor after two weeks to slowly resume some activities (but NO driving until the gas bubble they put in my eye to hold the retina in place), in mid September, I got some pics from Eric at the bodyshop showing me he had to top side of the hood now worked into shape, prepped and primed...

He was also going over the body again to do a bit more finessing to get it "more perfect"! LOL

The first of October I was finally cleared to drive again, so that Saturday, I went to the shop to see how the ole girl was doing first hand and Eric was doing another blocking of the body and doors to get her ready for a final coat of primer on Sunday. The front fenders and hood had already been final primed for assembly and final long blocking.

Body final primed....

Yesterday, Saturday the 8th, I dropped off the headlight buckets and header panel so Eric could work them along with the deck lid and fuel door and once they are ready, all the sheetmetal should be ready for assembly and paint!

Still a few things that need done before that happens (doors and trunk shot with Lizard Skin and then the door internal parts assembled, etc) but hopefully won't be that much longer!!

Edited by TV 2M8O - 09-October-2022 at 2:22AM

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2022 at 2:09AM
That’s great progress!   I was wondering how your build was going!

The Torino is really looking great, definitely keep sending progress photos.

You must be excited.

-Chris

Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2022 at 4:22AM
Thanks for the updates Joe! Great progress, almost ready to look like a tomato real soon Wink
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2022 at 5:21AM
Excellent progress and its getting done in a timely manner. You struck gold with this shop.
Steve M.
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2022 at 9:08AM
Just got a message from Eric that he has the underside of the decklid and the header panel worked and primed....

He's moving right along!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2022 at 2:06AM
Stopped in the body shop on Saturday to do a bit of work on the Tomato....

My chores were to start taking some measurements and start laying out the template for the over the roof section of the stripe....

and trim back the foam used to give the roof a bit more support.

Eric had also gotten the headlight buckets worked and primed so now the decklid, header panel and buckets are ready to be blocked, worked and final primed.

Things are getting really close to being assembled for final blocking of the body and getting stuff squared away to FINALLY start the final phase of getting her colors applied!!!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2022 at 5:56AM
These project threads really help motivating folks who may be on hold for one reason or another. Kudos.
Steve M. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2022 at 9:48AM
She's coming along nicely. 
Steve M.
torinomike650 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote torinomike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-October-2022 at 10:49AM
Getting closer to paint Wink looking good Joe
Mike

1974 Ford Gran Torino
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2022 at 2:01AM
Been about a month since I last updated so I thought I'd bring everyone up to speed on the latest Tomato progress.....

Right after my last post, my wife and I left for a 7 day Caribbean cruise which meant I was away from home for about a week and a half, so upon my return I stopped at the bodyshop to check the status on my car and I found they had started spraying some red!

They had shot the headlight buckets....

the underside of the hood, decklid and header panel....

the return edges of the front fenders....

the trunk gutter....

the cowl area....

the door jambs....

and the doors....

When I left he was getting ready to mask off the back of the front fenders to coat the backsides with a heavy coat of bedliner as well as addressing the overspray onto the black areas of the cowl. He said he would be hanging the fenders and start laying out the stripe so he could shoot the stripe the weekend after next.... BUT, there was an issue with his order of completion!!

The doors and front fenders should have been hung and adjusted for the gaps, then the stripe area on the body and into the jamb areas shot BLACK, then the stripe laid out with 1/4" fine line, THEN the fenders and doors removed, any remaining areas necessary shot black and the fine line stripe outline extended into the jambs/door returns to the first hard (90 degree) edge they encounter. The white for the stripe could then be sprayed onto the jamb/door areas then masked off and at that point, shoot remaining areas red.

When I pointed out ONCE AGAIN that I wanted the stripe to extend into the jamb/door returns to a hard edge, he said once the car was reassembled and painting finished, he could then go into the jamb area and reshoot the stripe areas to the hard edge. When I asked how he would work the stripe around the leading edge of the door and the front fender, she said he could do a soft edge (my terminology) on the door and fender like the factory did. When I said the leading edge of the door would be visible when the door was opened he said no one would probably notice. Someone anal like I am would!!

When I posted my update on my Facebook profile later that afternoon, I made a statement that I needed to decide to pull the car before they shot the stripe and final colors or live with their compromise. The shop owner saw my comment and texted me that I need to find another shop to finish the car! The shop WAS AWARE all along that I did NOT want a soft edge on my stripe like what came from the factory and we had talked about it countless times, but for some reason they chose to ignore my wishes.

A few days later I received another text showing that they had the doors, fenders and decklid remounted on the car and all my parts and remaining body parts wrapped for protection and everything was ready for pickup that Saturday.....

We got there about a half hour before the rollback was scheduled to arrive and got the car positioned for the rollback to hook and pull unto the deck as well as securing the doors closed and strapping the hood down in position protected my several moving blankets. More on that in my next post.....

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
hogfiddles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2022 at 2:27AM
Makes me wonder what changed, to go from ‘wow, these guys are incredible’, to ‘We’re not gonna do it the way you want....”
1973 Gran Torino Sport - Q code “Q-Clone” project-on-hold
1972 Gran Torino Sport - Q code new project
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
95+/- mid-80's Yamaha XJ-Series (10 trophies)
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2022 at 2:49AM
The rollback arrived and we got the Torino pulled onto the deck without incident and away we went back to the dealership. Once there, I ran inside and opened the overhead door into the shop area so he could drop the Tomato inside since it was starting to mist rain. Rolled her off and away he went.

Since I was going to have to drive the Torino up the ramp to the second floor, I decided to put the driver's seat back in.... (forgot how nice they look!)

I was afraid to drive her up the ramp sitting on a bucket.... I could imagine the bucket kicking over as we went up the ramp and then trying to control the car as I scramble around the interior trying to see where the hell I was traversing the ramp!

With the seat installed, I hit the key.... no power. Looked thru the opening of the core support at the passenger side and saw that Bill had removed the positive lead off the battery for safety, so I reached thru opening and reattached the battery. Hit the key again and she spun over, hit and ran for a second and died. Did this several times and then figured I was out of gas. Looked and saw that my 5 gallon gas can was not in the car so I texted the bodyshop and Bill said he had forgotten to get it out of his outdoor shed, so we ran back over to grab it.

On the way I realized why the car wouldn't run.... I had the carb cover on!! So I drop my son off at the house and then get the gas can and return to the dealership. I ran upstairs and grabbed the air cleaner, unstrapped the hood, pivoted it up on the passenger side edge and while supporting the hood with my head, removed the carb cover and set the air cleaner in place.

Viola, the 460 roared to life! I went to the ramp doors and got them blocked open and then went back to pull the car around. Since I wasn't sure how much gas was in my little 2 gallon fuel tank I had hung on the car, I figured I better fill it up while I could because it wouldn't be easy to do if the car died on the ramp. (I have Buzzards luck after all!!)

With the tank full, the battery connected and the driver seat installed, I was ready to tackle the ramp! I opened the shop door, she fired right up and pulled out and around to the alley and started up the ramp. Since it had been misting the rain for a bit the street was wet and now so were the tires, so as I started up the ramp the tires started slipping on the metal traction grating of the ramp so I eased off the throttle a bit to allow her to grip as well as keeping her from ass ending into the ramp wall!

As we neared the top of the ramp, the engine started to stumble and about 12" before the rear tires cleared the top of the ramp, SHE DIED! I though maybe coming up the ramp had caused the fuel to collect on the down side of the tank and the fuel line had been sucking air, so I let her set for a minute so the fuel could level out and tried her again... NOTHING. Tried even pouring a bit of fuel into the carb just to see if she would hit but nada.... so I resolved myself to let her set there on the ramp until I could borrow a come along from work on Monday to pull her the rest of the way up the ramp onto the level floor so then she would be easier to push back to the work area. I chocked the rear tires with a 4x4 and a section of RR track I had and called it a day.

On Monday I stopped at the dealership on my way home with the come along to yank her ass off the ramp and when I got there the mechanics were just cleaning up for the day so my buddy Jim, the shop manager had the three guy as well as himself go upstairs with me and see if they could push it the rest of the way. I knew it would be close but they were finally able to wrestle it the rest of the way off the ramp and pushed over to my side of the second floor to clear the ramp area should they need to bring a car up or down the ramp.

So Saturday I set about trying figure out why she didn't want to run. I borrowed my buddies spark plug light and verified the plugs were getting fire and they were, so I then pulled the plugs and found they were all fouled out.... a lot of idling and just puttering around I guess. So I cleaned them all and reinstalled them and POW, she was back to her old self!!

Got her back to my area so I can do a few things I need to do as well as getting her cleaned up a bit as I look for a new place to tackle the paint!

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
TV 2M8O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV 2M8O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2022 at 2:56AM
Originally posted by hogfiddles hogfiddles wrote:

Makes me wonder what changed, to go from ‘wow, these guys are incredible’, to ‘We’re not gonna do it the way you want....”

Dave, the bodywork they did was spot on and they really took the time to make sure things were straight, but for some reason the owner was reluctant to hang, align, set and then blow apart and paint. He said it was too time consuming and the real estate the car was tying up was costing him more than what it was generating so he turned it loose. He said he wouldn't do another one!

I wouldn't have a bit of hesitation to take one there for collision repair because they really do do great work.

TV 2M8O OUT
JOE
spriegel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spriegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2022 at 3:16AM
Joe,

Sorry to hear the news, your perseverance and "never quit attitude" is very impressive.

Stick with it, you're almost there. 

You want to make sure this restore is done the way you want it, you'll enjoy it more in the end.

-Chris
Chris
Fairview, PA
'1973 Ford Gran Torino

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handsofstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2022 at 3:56AM
Sad to hear the saga continues. Word travels  between shops through friends or supply houses pretty fast nowadays. That shop has done incredible work and it is understandable you wanted it your way. From a shop owners point of view he was doing you a favor just getting it into the shop. It took me a while and many "No thanks" to finally get a shop to do my body/paint work and that was using the name of an extremely wealthy client telling me to use his name. 
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2022 at 9:13AM
i heard about a guy out on the west coast that shoots 2B or not 2B paint

i think he does custom graphics too ?

72 GT Ute

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2022 at 4:15PM
ok, as long as you’re ok with then......
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
californiajohnny View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote californiajohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2022 at 8:49PM
Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

i've heard of that guy!Wink
 i would have sprayed the stripe, then masked it off!pull the doors and fenders off, spray the red... unmask the stripe cover it all with 4 coats of clearWink wet sand and buff,then reassemble itThumbs Up
JOHN
74 GRAN TORINO S&H CLONE
74 VETTE CUSTOM
90 S10 BLAZER 4X4 LIFTED
77 CELICA CUSTOM
75 V8 MONZA SUPERCHARGED
79 COURIER VERT. SLAMMED
75 VEGA V6 5 SPD
70 CHEV C10 P/U
68 MUSTANG FB CONVERSION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hogfiddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2022 at 12:50AM
Originally posted by californiajohnny californiajohnny wrote:

Originally posted by Rockatansky Rockatansky wrote:

i've heard of that guy!Wink
 i would have sprayed the stripe, then masked it off!pull the doors and fenders off, spray the red... unmask the stripe cover it all with 4 coats of clearWink wet sand and buff,then reassemble itThumbs Up
There ya go!! Take it to Johnny.... he’s not too busy :)
1972 Gran Torino - parts
1969 Torino GT - M code
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041>