The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Model Specific Forum > 1977-1979 Ford and Mercury
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rare motor?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79 ltd II All green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rare motor?
    Posted: 04-May-2011 at 3:22AM
So my dad was telling me that his 79 ltd II has a 351m in it. when he went in to get a fuel filter in the 80's it turned out the fuel filter was for a truck motor. i wanted to know if anyone knew anyhting about thoes maybe having truck motors in them.
Psquare75 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Member of the Stroker Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psquare75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 3:29AM
The fuel filter goes in the carb on those 2v carbs, correct? Someone could have swapped it. 
Paul
77 XR7 460/C6/3.00:1 *SOLD*
78 XR7 523/C6/3.5:1
79 F100 460/TKO500/3.25:1
'I also have some left over potatoes-I understand you can generate electricity from them'- Foote500
79 ltd II All green View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79 ltd II All green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 3:34AM
ya it does but my dads had it since brand new
inenidok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inenidok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 3:39AM
Originally posted by Psquare75 Psquare75 wrote:

The fuel filter goes in the carb on those 2v carbs, correct? Someone could have swapped it. 
you are right there Psquare75, matter of fact i dont think they made that many different filters back then anyways i am pretty sure all where or about the same thread size.the ones that screwed in the others just clamped in the difference i think was some was long and some short and some fat.  and another point is if you had went to one of those want to be a parts store (autozone advance etc ) all they know how to look at a computer and it tells them what it takes and then there could have been a screw up on data entry. so really dont beleive the guy at the parts store.

Edited by inenidok - 04-May-2011 at 3:41AM
orlnslloyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orlnslloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 6:54AM
Wouldn't make any difference anyway. 351m are the same weather in a truck or car. Minor differences in carbs, distributor, oil pan, and manifolds, etc.
'72, GTSFB, 460, C6, 3.70

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79 ltd II All green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2011 at 8:09AM
ya i was just wondering if somehow a truck motor ended up in the car (factory error)
inenidok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inenidok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2011 at 4:47AM
anything can happen i bought a new ranger in 94 and i bought from the dealer and i special order it was there when came off the truck, after 2 months of waiting, and with in a year found out they had the wrong size rims on it, it had a 93 front end,(brake cailbers where different) and had 94 explorer wipers on it (they where longer), and i found out this also my 1973 ranchero was suppose to have a 9 inch rear end it has a 8 inch from and 72 and my father bought this brand new from the dealer in late 72. so i think when they run short on parts they use what they have on hand to complete the auto/truck

Edited by inenidok - 09-May-2011 at 4:48AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79 ltd II All green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2011 at 1:25PM
ya see my dad new a guy that worked at the truck plant and in 79 50 351m turned up missing and my dad thought that they might have put one of thoes motors in it
 Post Reply Post Reply