The Ford Torino Page Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Auto Body Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seat belts and harnesses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freyguy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seat belts and harnesses
    Posted: 23-January-2015 at 7:17AM
Unless I missed it I haven't found much on here pertaining to the subject of seat belts. I am hoping to clean up what I have and make them presentable. My originals were black and now a faded version of black. Has anyone dyed theirs? Could someone please post a detailed picture of the proper way the shoulder harness belt is hung? I think I am missing the part of the retainer where the belt clips back onto the retainer to hold it up. 1980 is a long time to remember those detailsWink Any other thoughts or ideas on the subject would be appreciated!
RedGTS4SPD
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2015 at 9:23AM
A few years ago I too was looking for a way to "refresh" my seat belt assemblies, I found that dyeing the belt material was a waste of time, especially if the webbing is frayed at all. There are a few company's that will re-web/re-condition your assemblies, but be prepared to spend at least $350-400 for the pair. I thankfully found a complete NOS set here:

The cost for the pair including delivery was less than $200, IIRC. The NOS set was complete with shiny new chrome lock hardware. Good luck and hope this helps. Todd 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
freyguy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freyguy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2015 at 11:14AM
I haven't contacted Green Sales yet because I know they are pricey. But for what I've spent already what's another $400
RedGTS4SPD
aquartlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aquartlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2015 at 11:32AM
Originally posted by freyguy1 freyguy1 wrote:

I haven't contacted Green Sales yet because I know they are pricey. But for what I've spent already what's another $400

Green Sales sold me the complete set with shipping to my door(both sides, R & L) for my Ranchero, for less than have of what this company wanted:  http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc. I am not begrudging Ssnake-oyl at all, I have heard good things about their services, but saving almost $300 and having NOS factory parts are 2 good reasons why I "jumped" at the deal Green Sales gave me. If you go here: http://www.rearcounter.com/ with your part number, you may get lucky and find what you need at a relatively good price. Once again, good luck with your choices. Todd 
www.supermotors.net/22468
Yeah, It's a Hybrid...It burns gas and tires.

No matter how good she looks, somebody, somewhere, is tired of her sh*t.

Beauty is skin deep, ugliness goes clear to the bone.
Rockatansky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rockatansky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2015 at 12:35PM
does anybody consider UV damage on the old belts a factor?

it's great that there's a craftsman out there willing to do the work especially on obsolete really old cars... 

but if you can find OEM NOS available for less that's a No Brainer
72 GT Ute

Regul8r View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regul8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2015 at 3:49PM
Andy posted something about the company we found at the show in Louisville.
Check the GTS.ORG 2014 Louisville thread, pg 18-20 I THINK!

Carl Corey (Moderator/Event Coordinator) Contact ANYTIME!
1976 Ford Elite "Lola Mae"
97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
US Army Retired
GranTorinslo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GranTorinslo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2015 at 12:07PM
The plastic retainer for the optional shoulder belt breaks frequently. Where the shoulder belt bolts in there is a cover with a tab for the end of the belt. The tab breaks off clean and it goes unnoticed, these are available new, not sure what the current prices are...on the other end of the belt is a plastic retainer for the end of the belt which is pulled to line up with a fabric loop on the belt which is passed through the plastic and hung on the 'coathanger'. If the plastic is still cheap I'd buy a couple, someone will inevitability use the hanging belt as a handle and rip off the tab.
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2015 at 12:23PM
Mike
freyguy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freyguy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2015 at 1:56AM
Thanks man. I was able to find my front seat belts at Green Sales in black left and right for $75! They came last week. One problem is they don't have the elastic band on them. Not sure why. There is stitching where they are supposed to be. I will find some elastic and have someone sew it on.
RedGTS4SPD
unlovedford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote unlovedford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2015 at 2:32AM
These original belts that are exposed to light enough to fade are also deteriorated slightly as well. Dyeing them can sometimes weaken them even more. Good find on the belts.
Joe
1972 Mom's Squire Wagon
1972 Torino Wagon
1976 Torino       
1968 Cougar XR7-First batch
1972 Torino 460
1989 BroncoII/Jeeps/Titanimous
Popeye and Brutus (Rams)
mcford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2015 at 5:42AM
JoAnn fabric for the elastic.  I had my wife sew it on the belts in my 72 sport, using her sewing machine.  worked great.
Mike
freyguy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freyguy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2015 at 6:29AM
Cool. We have a Jo Anns Fabric near by. Maybe I'll get lucky. hehe
RedGTS4SPD
 Post Reply Post Reply